Page 59 of 69 FirstFirst ... 9495758596061 ... LastLast
Results 581 to 590 of 686

Thread: HOWTO: migrate wubi install to partition

  1. #581
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    North Vancouver
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Edubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: HOWTO: migrate wubi install to partition

    Quote Originally Posted by Tallowman View Post
    Just used your script to migrate my Wubi 11.10 to a new partition on my laptop. Outstanding - amazed at how simple this has been.

    Just started with Linux and Ubuntu as I start a new job in Jan with a web company that use Ubuntu. So far loving the support, the ease of use, the community, etc etc I could go on.

    Thanks again for the effort you have put into this!

    One question, what are the new memtest options I have in the grub now?

    Cheers,
    Tallowman
    Memtest tests your RAM for errors. It runs a long time... from what I've read (since I've never bothered to test my own RAM). My feeling is that it's a low percentage thing so it's not worth it unless you have intermittent, unexplained problems - or you've added/removed memory chips yourself.

    You can hide it from grub if you want... or just ignore it.

  2. #582
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Beans
    13

    Question Re: HOWTO: migrate wubi install to partition

    I misunderstood Wubi. I thought it was a program that would *install* ubuntu on a new partition, not just a virtual image, but the real thing. So, before installing ubuntu through wubi, I made a new partition, and installed wubi on that partition. Now I want to migrate wubi to the new partition which has wubi installed, and thus, is not empty. Can I use the method here to do this safely? And, after migrating, can I still uninstall wubi(ubuntu) from program files through windows, and have ubuntu working properly?

    I am a beginner, so please try to answer in simple way...

    Thanks

  3. #583
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    North Vancouver
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Edubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: HOWTO: migrate wubi install to partition

    Quote Originally Posted by linux_noobq2m View Post
    I misunderstood Wubi. I thought it was a program that would *install* ubuntu on a new partition, not just a virtual image, but the real thing. So, before installing ubuntu through wubi, I made a new partition, and installed wubi on that partition. Now I want to migrate wubi to the new partition which has wubi installed, and thus, is not empty. Can I use the method here to do this safely? And, after migrating, can I still uninstall wubi(ubuntu) from program files through windows, and have ubuntu working properly?

    I am a beginner, so please try to answer in simple way...

    Thanks
    It's possible but it's more complex than the default migration (which runs right from the current Wubi install). You'll need to migrate using a live CD/USB i.e. boot from an Ubuntu CD/USB, select "Try Ubuntu" and then download the script and use the --root-disk= option.

    Since you'll be overwriting (and formatting) the partition that contains your current Wubi install, you won't be able to keep it as well as test the migrated install. You'll need to uninstall Wubi prior to migrating. So you must make sure you copy the virtual disk (root.disk) before uninstalling. Note: in some cases there may be other virtual disks - to be safe, copy the entire \ubuntu\disks directory to a safe place either your C: drive, or an external drive. Call it e.g. C:\wubidisks\ or something different than \ubuntu because Wubi (when it boots) looks specifically for this named folder.

    So... here are some example steps (assuming your C: partition is /dev/sda2 and your target partition is /dev/sda5):
    1. Copy \ubuntu\disks\ to C:\wubidisks (make sure all the .disk files are copied)
    2. Uninstall Wubi
    3. Boot from a live CD
    4. Format your target partition to 'ext4' using GParted. Prepare a swap partition if required
    5. Mount the C: partition (e.g. if it's /dev/sda2)
    Code:
    sudo mount /dev/sda2 /mnt
    5. Download the script and run:
    Code:
    sudo bash wubi-move-2.1.sh --root-disk=/mnt/wubidisks/root.disk /dev/sda5
    So... not entirely simple, but probably a lot less work than reinstalling from scratch.

    I didn't mention backups, but whenever you partition you should make sure you have up to date backups, and also you should make sure important data on the root.disk is backed up always.

    I made up some partitions for the examples above - if you need instructions for specific partitions, let me know. Also, the root.disk migration is not for grub-legacy (this only applies to those people who installed Wubi prior to release 9.10 and upgraded).

  4. #584
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Beans
    13

    Question Re: HOWTO: migrate wubi install to partition

    First off, thanks for your reply! Really appreciate the help.

    Quote Originally Posted by bcbc View Post
    You'll need to migrate using a live CD/USB i.e. boot from an Ubuntu CD/USB, select "Try Ubuntu" and then download the script and use the --root-disk= option.
    I didnt understand. Download what script?

    Quote Originally Posted by bcbc View Post
    Since you'll be overwriting (and formatting) the partition that contains your current Wubi install, you won't be able to keep it as well as test the migrated install. You'll need to uninstall Wubi prior to migrating. So you must make sure you copy the virtual disk (root.disk) before uninstalling. Note: in some cases there may be other virtual disks - to be safe, copy the entire \ubuntu\disks directory to a safe place either your C: drive, or an external drive. Call it e.g. C:\wubidisks\ or something different than \ubuntu because Wubi (when it boots) looks specifically for this named folder.
    So, if I uninstall wubi, would I still be able to boot to windows? I know this might be a silly question. Since wubi installs with its bootloader, and when I uninstall wubi, the bootloader will also get uninstalled; so, is there a chance that there is no bootloader after uninstalling wubi?

    Quote Originally Posted by bcbc View Post
    So... here are some example steps (assuming your C: partition is /dev/sda2 and your target partition is /dev/sda5):
    1. Copy \ubuntu\disks\ to C:\wubidisks (make sure all the .disk files are copied)
    2. Uninstall Wubi
    3. Boot from a live CD
    4. Format your target partition to 'ext4' using GParted. Prepare a swap partition if required
    5. Mount the C: partition (e.g. if it's /dev/sda2)
    Code:
    sudo mount /dev/sda2 /mnt
    I know this does not need to be asked, but I'm just curious; why do I need to mount C drive?

    Quote Originally Posted by bcbc View Post
    5. Download the script and run:
    Code:
    sudo bash wubi-move-2.1.sh --root-disk=/mnt/wubidisks/root.disk /dev/sda5
    So... not entirely simple, but probably a lot less work than reinstalling from scratch.

    I didn't mention backups, but whenever you partition you should make sure you have up to date backups, and also you should make sure important data on the root.disk is backed up always.

    I made up some partitions for the examples above - if you need instructions for specific partitions, let me know. Also, the root.disk migration is not for grub-legacy (this only applies to those people who installed Wubi prior to release 9.10 and upgraded).
    The partition on which I want to install ubuntu is /sda2. And, I am planning to make another partition /sda3 for swap memory. For that, would I need to mount the swap partition using GParted before making it the swap partition?

    Ok, so here are the steps I am going to do. Please correct if required:

    1.Copy the /ubuntu/disks folder to C:\wubidisks\
    2.Uninstall wubi
    3.Download ubuntu and boot from USB(because I am using netbook, and it does not have CD drive) by following the instructions here.
    4. Format /sda2 to 'ext4' using GParted. Prepare a swap partition /sda3. (Should I do the second part in windows itself? Using disk management?)
    5. Mount the /sda1 (C:\, where windows is installed, right?) partition
    Code:
    sudo mount /dev/sda1 /mnt
    6. Download the (what?) script and run:
    Code:
    sudo bash wubi-move-2.1.sh --root-disk=/mnt/wubidisks/root.disk /dev/sda2 /dev/sda3 (for swap partition)
    7.Shut Down and remove USB.
    8.Start the computer, and hopefully it wil have dual boot with windows and ubuntu, !

    Thanks again!

    Please reply "yes" if all steps are right.

  5. #585
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    North Vancouver
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Edubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: HOWTO: migrate wubi install to partition

    The script is the migration script attached to post #1 of this thread.

    Wubi doesn't replace the windows bootloader. It boots via the windows boot manager using a combination of grub4dos and grub2. So when you uninstall Wubi, it will not affect Windows booting.
    When you migrate it will replace the windows bootloader with Grub2.

    You can create space for the swap partition using the Windows disk management console, but you cannot create the swap partition itself. Use GParted from the live USB to do this.

    Finally you need to mount the /dev/sda1 partition so that the script can access the root.disk (it's not mounted automatically from a live CD/USB)
    --------
    So, all the steps you have are correct. I'd probably run the live USB first to make sure it's working properly beforehand.

    Oh and one more thing, the live USB architecture (32bit vs 64bit) must match the Wubi install. So check which you have first (the output of this will report whether it's 32-bit or 64-bit):
    Code:
    file /bin/bash

  6. #586
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Beans
    13

    Wink Re: HOWTO: migrate wubi install to partition

    Sorry for the late question (was busy for past days, and it took really long to download ubuntu i386 iso file, coz I have slow net connection). Anyways, I have finished downloading the i386.iso for ubuntu. I just have three questions:

    1.I have a 1GB USB drive, and not a single 2GB one. Can I use the 1GB USB? Or is it preferred to use 2GB one? If yes, then why?

    2.Since I am going to boot from USB, should I choose the "Try ubuntu" option after bootng into ubuntu? And then download the script?

    3.There are different versions of ubuntu. WOuld you advise installing xubuntu instead of normal ubuntu? I have a HP Mini 2133. It has Intel Atom 1200 MHzprocesor, 2GB of RAM and 30GB of hard disk(for ubuntu). So, since I have lot of RAM, would installing xubuntu make any difference? The only problem I am facing with ubuntu is that I cannot play flash videos smoothly right now using wubi, so I dont know if this problem is due to me using wubi or GNOME using lot of resources.

    Thanks!

  7. #587
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    North Vancouver
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Edubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: HOWTO: migrate wubi install to partition

    Quote Originally Posted by linux_noobq2m View Post
    Sorry for the late question (was busy for past days, and it took really long to download ubuntu i386 iso file, coz I have slow net connection). Anyways, I have finished downloading the i386.iso for ubuntu. I just have three questions:

    1.I have a 1GB USB drive, and not a single 2GB one. Can I use the 1GB USB? Or is it preferred to use 2GB one? If yes, then why?

    2.Since I am going to boot from USB, should I choose the "Try ubuntu" option after bootng into ubuntu? And then download the script?

    3.There are different versions of ubuntu. WOuld you advise installing xubuntu instead of normal ubuntu? I have a HP Mini 2133. It has Intel Atom 1200 MHzprocesor, 2GB of RAM and 30GB of hard disk(for ubuntu). So, since I have lot of RAM, would installing xubuntu make any difference? The only problem I am facing with ubuntu is that I cannot play flash videos smoothly right now using wubi, so I dont know if this problem is due to me using wubi or GNOME using lot of resources.

    Thanks!
    I don't know why the ubuntu website states you need at least 2GB of free space on the USB. Since the ISO is only 700MB I'd assume 1GB is sufficient, but really I am not in a position to comment on this as all my USB sticks are 2GB or more.

    The migration converts your current Wubi install to a normal dual boot. It doesn't install any new version of Ubuntu, so you can't switch to Xubuntu or Lubuntu while migrating. You can convert Ubuntu using techniques such as this: http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/xubuntu (I haven't tried this myself).

    Since your questions aren't related to the migration, and you'll get a lot more responses from others in the community, I suggest you create a new thread with those questions if you want more info.

  8. #588
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Beans
    1

    Re: HOWTO: migrate wubi install to partition

    txs man It worked like a charm. And now i can use ubuntu and xp from different partitions! TXS

  9. #589
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    North Vancouver
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Edubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: HOWTO: migrate wubi install to partition

    Quote Originally Posted by Xtreamer View Post
    txs man It worked like a charm. And now i can use ubuntu and xp from different partitions! TXS
    You're welcome! Thanks for the feedback.

  10. #590
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Beans
    4

    Re: HOWTO: migrate wubi install to partition

    Does the (move.sh) also need to be downloaded to perform migration?


    Or is that just an older file? Sorry if I answered my own question.

Page 59 of 69 FirstFirst ... 9495758596061 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •