Page 57 of 69 FirstFirst ... 747555657585967 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: migrate wubi install to partition

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Edubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: HOWTO: migrate wubi install to partition

Quote Originally Posted by javacookies View Post
    really? nice. great script! Yesterday I used Gparted to copy my partition to m external then booted from livecd to install grub2. With this script, next time I backup all I need to do is run this script. Thank you very much
    Cool! Glad you're finding a use for it.

I've been toying with the idea of adding a 'synch' option to the script. This would make use of rsync's built in ability to synchronize a previously migrated install.

I don't think there is a lot of demand for something like this since for most the script is a one-way ticket out of Wubi, but it's something I find useful so might make it's way into a future release. That would definitely help if you're using it for bootable backups.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

I was looking at the notes for the 2.0 script and would like a bit of clarification. If migrates to a partition with the grub boot-loader, reboots, what do I see? Will I see the current list of two OS's like I do now with my Wubi install? Isn't it preferable to use the GRUB boot-loader than not. Would not installing it with this script prohibit dual boots?

I also have another question about the sd partitions. I'm not certain as to which sd my current Wubi install is on. I've looked in Gparted and it does seem that my main drive, which should contain both Win7 and the Wubi installation has been given the sde designation. That flies in the face of the norm I think. I want to migrate my Wubi install to what is referred to in Gparted as sde5. There is no sde6. SDE5 is indicated as the logical partition. Will this script, the 2.0 version recognize which partition Wubi is on and allow me to choose the sd partition I want to migrate to? The label of that partition is seen in Gparted but, a big BUT, I can't view the files on it. My only option here is to reboot back into Win7 and move any files in the sde5 partition to other locations. That would be a nuisance as I'd like to perform this entire operation, including housekeeping, within Ubuntu. I've tried to mount that partition but it is indicated in Gparted as "busy". Any help with this would be appreciated.

I had originally planned on reformatting everything but it seems like Win7 is behaving itself again so I've settled on this option instead. I only need Windows for Photoshop.

Slightly off topic: Funny thing about Windows...when I play video files in Ubuntu they play perfectly with no codecs issues. When I finally got to restart Win7 all the videos sounded weird. Side question: Does Ubuntu know or load the proper codecs from the get-go? That would seem to be the case as Videos and sound files played perfectly out of the box.
    When in doubt, check it out!

If all else fails, check the plug!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

PayPaul,
    Use the 2.1 version of the script. This is the only one that supports 11.10, but also it's got some enhanced editing and messages.

Note that the script will not migrate to a partition that is not empty. Also, it should be of type '83 - Linux'. So, first move any data you want off /dev/sde5 (from Windows if that's the only place you can access it). Then boot into Wubi, make sure it's unmounted (sudo umount /dev/sde5) and then use GParted to replace it with a suitable partition (and you could also add swap at the same time).

To determine what partition wubi is on, enter "df" from a terminal. That will show a partition mounted as /host.

e.g. mine is on /dev/sda3
    Code:
    ~$ df 
    Filesystem     1K-blocks     Used Available Use% Mounted on
    /dev/loop0       7689788  6535152    764012  90% /
    udev             1913284        4   1913280   1% /dev
    tmpfs             768840      984    767856   1% /run
    none                5120        0      5120   0% /run/lock
    none             1922096      212   1921884   1% /run/shm
    /dev/sda3      309081136 99957580 209123556  33% /host
    Side note - Ubuntu doesn't play videos by default unless you install ubuntu-restricted-extras and then there's an additional step for videos. If you install a normal Ubuntu nowadays there's an option to include this at install time, but I believe you still have to do this manually for Wubi installs.

I missed the part about Grub:
    It is recommended that you install the Grub2 bootloader when you migrate. You will then see a grub menu at startup with the migrated install first, and at the bottom your Windows install. When you boot Windows, it will show you the Windows boot manager (as you see today) where you can boot Windows or Wubi. Once you have removed Wubi, Windows will boot directly from the first grub menu.
    If you do not install the grub2 bootloader then you will have to boot the migrated install from the Wubi menu. It will be shown at the bottom of the Wubi's grub menu. In this case, before removing the Wubi install you should either install the grub bootloader or make some other provision for booting.
    Last edited by bcbc; November 23rd, 2011 at 06:53 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

A recent problem with a disappearing root.disk has made me panic and think that I'd better migrate my Wubi install to a partition.

However, my knowledge of these things is pretty rudimentary and
    I have some preliminary questions.

I'm going to have to carve at least one new partition out of an existing one. I created a live CD of the latest version of GParted for the purpose.

However, how big a new partition should I be creating? (I seem to remember something about 17GB when I was installing Wubi, so I'm assuming it can't be smaller than that.)

Also, is it a good idea for me to create a swap partition? (I know I have a file called swap.disk in Wubi.) If so, how big should it be?

Leslie

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

LeslieK,

Your partition doesn't have to be the same size as the wubi install - only as big as the space you have used. Running "df -h" will give you an idea of the minimum partition size.
    Code:
    $ df -h
    Filesystem      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
    /dev/loop0       10G  6.2G  3.3G  66% /
    Having said that, it makes sense to plan for the future so you don't have to resize your partitions later. Also consider whether you'll be sharing data between Ubuntu and Linux because then it's probably better to use a separate NTFS partition.

In terms of the swap partition, it's required to hibernate - so if that's something you're likely to use, you'll need one that's bigger than the size of your RAM. You might also need it for overflow if you do memory intensive tasks or you have a small amount of RAM.
    If you don't want to hibernate, have plenty of memory, then it's not required (and you can always add a swap file later).

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Beans
    Distro

Thanks so much for your reply, bcbc.

You said, "... consider whether you'll be sharing data between Ubuntu and Linux because then it's probably better to use a separate NTFS partition."

I took it that "Linux" was intended to be "Windows", but, in any event, I'm not sure what you meant by suggesting that I use "a separate NTFS partition". Did you mean that I should create a new partition devoted solely to shared files, in addition to either one or two Linux partitions?

Incidentally, I recovered from the missing root.disk file problem that I mentioned in my first post by using a blog post of yours. I was very grateful to find it.

Leslie

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by lesliek View Post
    Thanks so much for your reply, bcbc.

You said, "... consider whether you'll be sharing data between Ubuntu and Linux because then it's probably better to use a separate NTFS partition."

I took it that "Linux" was intended to be "Windows", but, in any event, I'm not sure what you meant by suggesting that I use "a separate NTFS partition". Did you mean that I should create a new partition devoted solely to shared files, in addition to either one or two Linux partitions?

Incidentally, I recovered from the missing root.disk file problem that I mentioned in my first post by using a blog post of yours. I was very grateful to find it.

Leslie
    Yes, I meant Windows

I try to keep my data on a separate partition (makes it easier to access and backup), but it's not required. I just threw that out there in terms of deciding whether to have a 17GB Ubuntu partition or a 50GB one. If you keep multimedia separate, then 17GB is probably adequate. (You can also keep mounting your current windows partition).

Anyway - didn't mean to complicate things.

Beans
    Distro

Well, I've been reading about GParted ever since my first post and have a question that you may be willing to answer, since this is all in aid of preparing to use your migration script.

When I look at my sole hard disk, I see that there are already four partitions on it, created by Windows. (The computer came that way.) One of them is the only one that could practically be shrunk.

If I shrink that partition, will I then be able to create new partitions in the freed space or does will this business about primary, extended and logical partitions prevent me from doing so?

Thanks again for all your help,

Leslie

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

lesliek,
    Reference - wikipedia:
    The total data storage space of a PC hard disk can be divided into at most four primary partitions, or alternatively three primary partitions and an extended partition.
    You would need to delete one of the primary partitions and replace it with an extended. Then you can create multiple logical partitions in that extended. You may also have to resize one or more primary partitions (as the one you delete will likely be small).

Alternatively, you could migrate to another hard drive (e.g. an external).

Apparently you can also convert a primary to a logical (i.e. replace primary with an extended and a logical). See here (I can't vouch for this, just been googling. I wouldn't do this on your main windows OS. You might still need to resize other primary partitions to give the extended enough space)

Note before partitioning, make sure you have your data backed up. There is always a small risk associated with partitioning. I recommend creating restore DVDs for your windows OS as well if your computer didn't come with these. And also a windows repair CD.

Beans
    Distro

In case anyone who has an HP Windows 7 computer that came with four partitions pre-installed, all of them "primary" partitions, is reading this thread, I thought I'd add the following, in case you find it helpful.

I found material on the HP Web site that deals with the RECOVERY partition, one of the four pre-installed primary ones. HP says that it doesn't recommend removing that partition (which isn't the same as recommending that it not be removed!). Then, it gives instructions as to how to remove it, which didn't work on my computer anyway. However, booted up in Windows 7, I created the required recovery DVDs (six of them!) using the Recovery Manager and was then able to use the Recovery Manager to delete itself and the entire RECOVERY partition.

The freed-up space was automatically added to the C: partition.

I then shrank the C: partition using Windows Disk Management. After the space from the deleted RECOVERY partition had been added, the C: partition was about 600GB. Windows Disk Management allowed me to shrink it to about 300GB, leaving 300GB unallocated, so that's what I did. (I used Windows Disk Management because I thought that would decrease the risk of breaking the Windows installation, which I want to keep, just in case I need it for something sometime.)

Then I switched to the GParted live CD and used it to create a new extended partition occupying all of the unallocated space I'd just created, which partition replaced the former RECOVERY primary partition. Now, I'll use GParted to create new logical partitions in my new 300GB extended partition. I'll use those new logical partitions as the home for my WUBI-installed Ubuntu that I now intend to migrate.

Leslie

Page 57 of 69 FirstFirst ... 747555657585967 ... LastLast