Page 45 of 69 FirstFirst ... 35434445464755 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: migrate wubi install to partition

Beans

Re: HOWTO: migrate wubi install to partition

I tryed autamatic this time and it only gave me the option off /dev/sda1. what should I do?
    and it wont let me select. It goes straight back to minipot@ubuntu:~/Downloads$
    Last edited by minipot; August 8th, 2011 at 11:52 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Edubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by minipot View Post
    I tryed autamatic this time and it only gave me the option off /dev/sda1. what should I do?
    and it wont let me select. It goes straight back to minipot@ubuntu:~/Downloads$
    Hi minipot, This Howto covers the migration of a Wubi install. It's not geared to assisting users on partitioning. The script requires that the partitions are already setup.

When you refer to automatic partitioning, I'm not sure what that means - outside of the context of the Ubuntu installer. If you're using the partitioning guide that I did provide a link for, those instructions need to be run from a live CD unless you are using Vista/7 (because Vista/7 can shrink a partition that is in use, whereas GParted cannot).

You haven't provided a lot of info - so to be honest - I'm not really certain what exactly you are doing. Please consider screenshots and copy and pasting the terminal output so I can see what you are doing and what the error is.

Thanks

Beans

Thumbs down Re: HOWTO: migrate wubi install to partition

Ive found the problem I didnt partition my disk already sorry
    Okfollowing the instructions here http://members.iinet.net.au/~herman546/p23.html (the one u suggested) how would I do this in wubi?
    I'm on windows 7 and the guide baffles me slightly by atamatic I mean the 2 options u gave automatic migration or manual (remember the first post)
    ok CAN U ACTUALLY INCLUDE SOMETHING FOR NOOBS i ve been reding ur http://members.iinet.net.au/~herman546/p23.html link again and again and looking for how to partition a system nothing makes sense whats this /dev/sda thing about how do I actually create a partition my system to move wubi too.
    Last edited by minipot; August 9th, 2011 at 01:33 PM.

Beans

Wink Re: HOWTO: migrate wubi install to partition

sorry for yelling at you in txt way Ive found a tut dont worry

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by minipot View Post
    sorry for yelling at you in txt way Ive found a tut dont worry
    You referred to the automatic or manual migration. Please don't use the manual migration. It's there more for 'documentation' and for the curious who enjoy that sort of thing. For normal users, the script contains a lot of checks that prevent user error.

PS partitioning is generally safe, but there is always a small risk. Please backup before hand.

Beans

HELLO!
    My problem is

'target_partition (/dev/sda5) must be a valid partition'

I am a newer, I really don't know why my partition is unvalid.. Anyway..is it possible for me to migrate? I just use the default partition on Win7

Thank you very much!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by victoriatao View Post
    HELLO!
    My problem is

'target_partition (/dev/sda5) must be a valid partition'

I am a newer, I really don't know why my partition is unvalid.. Anyway..is it possible for me to migrate? I just use the default partition on Win7

Thank you very much!
    The script will migrate a wubi install to a partition, but that partition must be already present i.e. you need to create them beforehand. There is a link on the first post that describes how to partition manually (here).

If you think you've already created the partitions, please post the output of:
    Code:
    sudo fdisk -l
    That's a lower case -L.

Thanks

Beans

I have migrated to a new partition using your script without any difficulties...thanks alot.
    Is it possible to uninstall the wubi which i installed in the C: before migrating to the new partition.
    Thank you.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by mahin View Post
    I have migrated to a new partition using your script without any difficulties...thanks alot.
    Is it possible to uninstall the wubi which i installed in the C: before migrating to the new partition.
    Thank you.
    Yes, once you've booted the migrated install and confirmed everything is working, you can uninstall the Wubi - boot windows and go to Control Panel, Add/remove programs, Ubuntu.

The migrated install is not dependent in any way on the wubi install (unless you chose not to install the grub bootloader and are booting it from the wubi grub menu - in which case you'd need to install the grub bootloader first).

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Can i use this guide to migrate in a new hard drive?
    I mean is it safe?

Page 45 of 69 FirstFirst ... 35434445464755 ... LastLast