Page 41 of 69 FirstFirst ... 31394041424351 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: migrate wubi install to partition

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Edubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: HOWTO: migrate wubi install to partition

Quote Originally Posted by life in color View Post
    ok I don't have anything important on the computer though so the only data I'm worried about would be anything necessary to download Ubuntu
    Okay... for wubi installs 9.10 to 11.04 there's nothing to download other than the migration script from post #1. Everything you need is already running under Wubi.

I made a new partition labeled /dev/sda3 then went into terminal and input "sudo bash wubi-move-2.0.sh /dev/sda3" and got the error:
    "bash: wubi-move-2.0.sh: No such file or directory"
    yet I have 'wubi-move-2.0.sh' in my downloads folder.
    Go to terminal, change to the Downloads directory and make sure it is there before running:
    Code:
    cd Downloads
    ls

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Wink Re: HOWTO: migrate wubi install to partition

Never mind I just moved wubi-move-2.0.sh to my home folder and now its working, thanks a trillion.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Never mind I just moved wubi-move-2.0.sh to my home folder and now its working, thanks a trillion.
    That works too

You're welcome!

Beans

Angry Re: HOWTO: migrate wubi install to partition

I'm new to this as well. I really love Ubuntu and I wanna get rid of Windows but I'm honestly not sure what I'm doing D: I used Wubi to dual-boot Windows 7 Eternity and Ubuntu. I downloaded the file you said to but I'm not really sure what the difference is between "with swap" and "without swap" and whenever I type either one of them into the terminal, it says "no such file or directory exists" or something like that help??

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by dinogoesmoo View Post
    I'm new to this as well. I really love Ubuntu and I wanna get rid of Windows but I'm honestly not sure what I'm doing D: I used Wubi to dual-boot Windows 7 Eternity and Ubuntu. I downloaded the file you said to but I'm not really sure what the difference is between "with swap" and "without swap" and whenever I type either one of them into the terminal, it says "no such file or directory exists" or something like that help??
    Please go into gparted and take a screen shot showing the partition you want to migrate to. If you prefer you can run the command "sudo fdisk -l" (that's lower case -L) from the terminal and paste the response back here.

Also here is an intro to swap: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SwapFaq

Hope that helps!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

working perfectly on Lenovo X61 Tablet (Ubuntu 11.04)

Thanks.

Beans

Hi everyone,

It's my first post, so I'm a noob here. I've been playing a little bit for a few days with ubuntu and wubi, and want to migrate to a partition. I've reduced de free space of one of the existing partitions that I have, in order to format this free space in two partitions, the one for the linux and the other for swap.

My problem comes here: I use an Asus Eee Pc, and it already comes with 4 partitions, one for the windows 7 system files, one for my stuff, other with the extremly usefull utility to reinstall windows [remember that as being a netbook, my computer doesn't have CD, and I don't have the Windows install CD, all I have it's this partition] and another one that I have no idea for what is it, but I supose it's needed somewhat.

I don't want to get rid of the windows 7; I could reformat the partition where I have my stuff, but I will need to have a dedicated partition anyway. The problem, then it's that I can't creat any other partition, since the maximum of primary partitions is 4.

Then I realized that this tutorial migrates linux and swap into sda5 and sda6. If I'm not wrong that means logical partitions [from an extended partition] sorry if this make no sense, I've just started learning all this concepts and else, so I may be totally wrong.

It is possible to migrate to an extended partition? How could I organize it [maybe change my stuff partition to an extended one?]

Thank you very much for the help; if this question is out of the threat, I would apreciate if you direct me to the right threat. And finally, excuse me for my possible mistakes with the English, I don't know if I expressed good my problem.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by moshekarako View Post
    working perfectly on Lenovo X61 Tablet (Ubuntu 11.04)

Thanks.
    Thanks for the feedback!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Josep_Caselles View Post
    Hi everyone,

It's my first post, so I'm a noob here. I've been playing a little bit for a few days with ubuntu and wubi, and want to migrate to a partition. I've reduced de free space of one of the existing partitions that I have, in order to format this free space in two partitions, the one for the linux and the other for swap.

My problem comes here: I use an Asus Eee Pc, and it already comes with 4 partitions, one for the windows 7 system files, one for my stuff, other with the extremly usefull utility to reinstall windows [remember that as being a netbook, my computer doesn't have CD, and I don't have the Windows install CD, all I have it's this partition] and another one that I have no idea for what is it, but I supose it's needed somewhat.

I don't want to get rid of the windows 7; I could reformat the partition where I have my stuff, but I will need to have a dedicated partition anyway. The problem, then it's that I can't creat any other partition, since the maximum of primary partitions is 4.

Then I realized that this tutorial migrates linux and swap into sda5 and sda6. If I'm not wrong that means logical partitions [from an extended partition] sorry if this make no sense, I've just started learning all this concepts and else, so I may be totally wrong.

It is possible to migrate to an extended partition? How could I organize it [maybe change my stuff partition to an extended one?]

Thank you very much for the help; if this question is out of the threat, I would apreciate if you direct me to the right threat. And finally, excuse me for my possible mistakes with the English, I don't know if I expressed good my problem.
    Hi (and welcome to the forums).

If you already have 4 primary partitions, you have to delete one of these in order to create an extended. Then within the extended you can create logical partitions. If the partition you delete doesn't have enough space you may have to also resize another primary partition prior to creating the extended.

1. Even with a netbook you can create a full windows restore image to a USB stick. I'm not sure about Asus, but e.g. on a toshiba netbook it contains a utility that allows you to create a USB that will factory restore the netbook.
    2. You can also create a Windows repair USB. The Windows utility will only create a repair CD, but if you look on the net there are instructions to create a repair USB. (I've done this on the netbook).
    3. Backup all your data prior to partitioning (not just from the partition you plan to delete).
    4. It's a good idea to have an Ubuntu USB as well. It's easy to migrate a Wubi install on a netbook, but if something goes wrong you need a way to repair it.

If you have any questions feel free to ask.

PS I don't really have a recommended partitioning guide to link to. There are many out there - you just have to find one that explains things clearly and works for you.
    What I try and do is partition as much as possible using windows tools (for Vista/7). e.g. delete, split, create an extended. For the actual linux partitions I use gparted. That's my personal decision.
    For Windows XP you have little choice but to use GParted or another partitioning tool.

Beans

oh, thank's a lot for answering that quick!

ok, then I will try to delete my stuff partition and make it an extended one with logical partitions. But then, Will I be able to migrate mi wubi linux to those logical partitions [system files and swap]? Is there any problem with having an OS in a logical partition? and the bootloader,what happens with it?

thank you! I will try it anyway, I would tell you if something goes wrong!

PS When you finally migrate the wubi, you get exactly the same as if you would install the ubuntu in the partition for the first time [I mean, the normal way, not wubi], or it still has some diferences that make it worse?

Page 41 of 69 FirstFirst ... 31394041424351 ... LastLast