Page 32 of 69 FirstFirst ... 22303132333442 ... LastLast
Results 311 to 320 of 686

Thread: HOWTO: migrate wubi install to partition

  1. #311
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Beans
    11

    Re: HOWTO: migrate wubi install to partition

    Quote Originally Posted by bcbc View Post
    It is unfortunate. You know there is a warning about using the manual migration - the script won't allow you to format a non-empty partition and also checks the size of the partition (5GB is a hard minimum and most Wubi installs will be bigger than that).

    You do not need to uninstall Wubi Ubuntu and reinstall - it will delete your existing Wubi install which will likely boot normally as long as you clear out that ext4 file system from /dev/sda1. If you don't reformat /dev/sda1 then reinstalling Wubi won't boot for the same reason your current one is not booting.

    I have no idea what is in /dev/sda3 (the 31GB partition) or what /dev/sda1 looked like prior to the format.

    This migration howto is provided to enable Wubi users to migrate to a partition install if they wish, and the script provides a lot of protection (I've also spent a lot of time testing it and making sure it's safe). But the job of partitioning is left up to the user, and when you choose to do the manual migration - you assume those risks.

    I tried to be clear on the first post:
    ...


    I have been considering removing the manual migration instructions. I think the risk is too high versus the benefit (and curious people can just review the script).
    Well i now see why people call linux too hard. I know about the warning, believe me i spent much time reassuring myself about each individual code but i guess that doesn't help if you know nothing about computing

    I am going to try and get wubi install back to normall and i might stick it if i'm not feeling confident about the migration (probably tomorow). Thanks for your help you stuck with me for long hours much appreciated.

    i am going and try to see if i can learn a little about the terminal

    Edit: 31GB is the empty partition which is purposely made for this
    Last edited by SimpleWater; April 14th, 2011 at 08:17 AM.

  2. #312
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    North Vancouver
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Edubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: HOWTO: migrate wubi install to partition

    Quote Originally Posted by SimpleWater View Post
    Well i now see why people call linux too hard. I know about the warning, believe me i spent much time reassuring myself about each individual code but i guess that doesn't help if you know nothing about computing

    I am going to try and get wubi install back to normall and i might stick it if i'm not feeling confident about the migration (probably tomorow). Thanks for your help you stuck with me for long hours much appreciated.

    i am going and try to see if i can learn a little about the terminal
    I am pretty sure that if you format D: as ntfs, your wubi will boot again.

    If I were you I'd just stick with Wubi. Unfortunately many people knock Wubi, but the fact is it is a safe way to learn Linux. And if you get Wubi booting, run the bootinfoscript and maybe it will show more information about /dev/sda3.

    Anyway - I am truly sorry about your problems - and if you do end up migrating in the future, feel free to post here beforehand and we can check everything is good before going ahead.

  3. #313
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Beans
    4

    Re: HOWTO: migrate wubi install to partition

    Many thanks, easy, quick effective!. To have no issues whatsoever is a rare thing - many thanks.
    Some suggestions:
    you may wish to explain that this move occurs entirely within the Wubi install and that on rebooting both the Wubi install and the new install on a partition will co-exist, also you may like to post a link to a guide for partitoning, and a link to discover the names of the filesystem drives as newbies coming from windows find that rather arcane.
    Many thanks.

  4. #314
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    North Vancouver
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Edubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: HOWTO: migrate wubi install to partition

    Quote Originally Posted by idodialog View Post
    Many thanks, easy, quick effective!. To have no issues whatsoever is a rare thing - many thanks.
    Some suggestions:
    you may wish to explain that this move occurs entirely within the Wubi install and that on rebooting both the Wubi install and the new install on a partition will co-exist, also you may like to post a link to a guide for partitoning, and a link to discover the names of the filesystem drives as newbies coming from windows find that rather arcane.
    Many thanks.
    You're welcome and thanks for the feedback.

    I'm not sure that I can get all that additional info you've suggested into this howto - I looked for a one-stop shop partitioning guide, but it seems like you have to review a couple to get all the pieces, and people differ on whether it's better to use GParted or Vista/7 disk manager (for example); and some are good but out of date. (I also don't want this to become a partitioning Howto.) But if you have some specific site recommendations, please let me know and I'll consider them for inclusion in post #1.

    I'm going to be looking at the script and howto in the next couple of weeks to make sure everything is good for the release of 11.04 Natty Narwhal and I'll try to make things clearer. Thanks

  5. #315
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Beans
    11

    Re: HOWTO: migrate wubi install to partition

    Quote Originally Posted by bcbc View Post
    I am pretty sure that if you format D: as ntfs, your wubi will boot again.

    If I were you I'd just stick with Wubi. Unfortunately many people knock Wubi, but the fact is it is a safe way to learn Linux. And if you get Wubi booting, run the bootinfoscript and maybe it will show more information about /dev/sda3.

    Anyway - I am truly sorry about your problems - and if you do end up migrating in the future, feel free to post here beforehand and we can check everything is good before going ahead.
    Cheers, worked with the new format. For now i will stick to wubi but thanks again for all your help.

  6. #316
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    North Vancouver
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Edubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: HOWTO: migrate wubi install to partition

    Quote Originally Posted by SimpleWater View Post
    Cheers, worked with the new format. For now i will stick to wubi but thanks again for all your help.
    Great! I'm glad you've got it resolved.

  7. #317
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Beans
    2

    Re: HOWTO: migrate wubi install to partition

    Ok, so, new Ubuntu user here. I've tried running the script in the terminal, but no luck. It seems that no matter what I do, I keep hitting "bash: wubi-move: No such file or directory"

    Any ideas?

  8. #318
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    North Vancouver
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Edubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: HOWTO: migrate wubi install to partition

    Quote Originally Posted by dmtaylor2011 View Post
    Ok, so, new Ubuntu user here. I've tried running the script in the terminal, but no luck. It seems that no matter what I do, I keep hitting "bash: wubi-move: No such file or directory"

    Any ideas?
    If you downloaded the latest script it would be: wubi-move-2.0.sh and if you have the old one: wubi-move.sh

    So download the script - I would suggest the latest (you'll need to extract it as described in the first post).
    Usually it goes to the ~/Downloads directory, or you might have placed it on your ~/Desktop instead.

    Then, go to the terminal, change to the appropriate directory and then you should find it:
    Code:
    cd Downloads
    sudo bash wubi-move-2.0.sh --help
    Note you can use the TAB key to autocomplete... e.g. sudo bash wubi[TAB] (as long as you're in the correct directory).

    PS ~/ is shorthand for your home directory. e.g. if your username is xxx, then "cd ~/Downloads" is the same as "cd /home/xxx/Downloads"

  9. #319
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Beans
    2

    Re: HOWTO: migrate wubi install to partition

    Thank you! Worked like a charm.

  10. #320
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    North Vancouver
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Edubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: HOWTO: migrate wubi install to partition

    Quote Originally Posted by dmtaylor2011 View Post
    Thank you! Worked like a charm.
    Good to hear

Page 32 of 69 FirstFirst ... 22303132333442 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •