Page 23 of 69 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: migrate wubi install to partition

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: HOWTO: migrate wubi install to partition

Worked perfectly. Now if I uninstall Wubi from Windows, how will I boot into Ubuntu? Right now I'm using the Windows boot menu which allows me to select Ubuntu and then it brings me to the grub menu. Do I need to install the grub menu first?

The reason I chose not to install the grub menu, is I have more than one boot option for Windows 7. One is regular, another has DEP disable, etc. So if install the grub menu I believe it will only display the regular Windows 7 boot option... ?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Edubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by ubuntuforums View Post
    Worked perfectly. Now if I uninstall Wubi from Windows, how will I boot into Ubuntu? Right now I'm using the Windows boot menu which allows me to select Ubuntu and then it brings me to the grub menu. Do I need to install the grub menu first?

The reason I chose not to install the grub menu, is I have more than one boot option for Windows 7. One is regular, another has DEP disable, etc. So if install the grub menu I believe it will only display the regular Windows 7 boot option... ?
    Well, you can use EasyBCD. I haven't used it myself so can't offer any advice on that. That's one option.

But if you install the grub2 bootloader, you should still be able to get to the same windows boot manager, and it will show the choice between regular and DEP disable, and Wubi (until you uninstall it).

You can test this already from the wubi grub menu...look below the entries for memtest and you'll see an entry (or entries) for Windows. That's the same as you'd see if grub2 was installed. By selecting the correct one* you'll then see the Windows boot manager again.

* Grub2 isn't good identifying vista/7 installs and will often mix up which one is the recovery. So choose the one that refers to the partition with the boot flag set.

Anyway, once you're confident that you can get to Windows from Grub, then you can do one final test:
    Press 'c' from the grub menu to get to a grub prompt, then enter "configfile (hd0,5)/boot/grub/grub.cfg" (this will bring up the grub menu on the migrated install - assuming you installed to /dev/sda5 - or change (hd0,5) accordingly) and that's the exact grub menu that you'd see on startup.

If all is good, boot the migrated install and enter (assuming you boot from /dev/sda):
    sudo grub-install /dev/sda

Beans

tell me please something, this will not move the whole wubi files but just the personal files ? because when i applied , ubuntu stayed in E and since its a fresh install D was empty ! excuse me how i said before im a total dumby

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by bou3lam View Post
    tell me please something, this will not move the whole wubi files but just the personal files ? because when i applied , ubuntu stayed in E and since its a fresh install D was empty ! excuse me how i said before im a total dumby
    The script migrates everything on the Wubi install (root.disk) to the target partition. Run the bootinfoscript and post the results.

Beans

please someone explain what the swap function mean

Beans

same as yesterday, ubuntu folder stayed in E , and dev sd5 which is D is empty ! here are the results of boot info script
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by bou3lam; February 20th, 2011 at 02:16 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

please someone explain what the swap function mean
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SwapFaq
    If you need to hibernate you need a swap partition, otherwise you can create a swap file. That link explains how to do that.
    Note for hibernation the swap partition must be > size of RAM (add about .5 to 1 GB to be safe e.g. 2GB RAM = 3GB swap)

same as yesterday, ubuntu folder stayed in E , and dev sd5 which is D is empty ! here are the results of boot info script
    Ok, from the bootinfsocript results it looks like everything migrated normally. What was previously your D: 'drive' in windows (/dev/sda5) contains 10.04.1 Ubuntu.

You didn't install the Grub2 bootloader so to boot it you have to use your Wubi grub menu: select Ubuntu from the windows boot manager, then look towards the bottom of the grub menu, AFTER the Windows entry you'll see an "Ubuntu, with Linux 2.6.32-24-generic (on /dev/sda5)" entry. Select that and it will boot your migrated install.

At some point you'll need to make a provision for booting the migrated install without Wubi - e.g. installing grub2's bootloader to the MBR. Make sure you do that before removing Wubi.

Beans

please, a step by step what to do

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

please, a step by step what to do
    What do you want help with?

Beans

At some point you'll need to make a provision for booting the migrated install without Wubi - e.g. installing grub2's bootloader to the MBR. Make sure you do that before removing Wubi.
    i must uninstall wubi or what ? if i do it will remove ubuntu also

Page 23 of 69 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast