Page 22 of 69 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: migrate wubi install to partition

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: HOWTO: migrate wubi install to partition

Thanks a lot, It worked fine!
    Last edited by NARGB; February 11th, 2011 at 05:39 PM.

Beans

Hello everybody!

I'm using a wubi from now 7 month and will try now to go on a std partition! I've prepared the ext3 and the swap and was going to use a "wubi move to partition" found on the official ubuntu website, but I saw that there could be some bug about the grub so I'm going to download (I hope!) the scrip I found in this thread

I'll let You know, but let me thank You for the job You do for us

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by aym_74 View Post
    Hello everybody!

I'm using a wubi from now 7 month and will try now to go on a std partition! I've prepared the ext3 and the swap and was going to use a "wubi move to partition" found on the official ubuntu website, but I saw that there could be some bug about the grub so I'm going to download (I hope!) the scrip I found in this thread

I'll let You know, but let me thank You for the job You do for us
    transfer complete perfectly!

Thank's a lot!

Just one more question:

I saw that in the partition i used to install wubi, there still is the "ubuntu" folder that was created before, can I delete it? Must I uninstall the wubi from winXP?

Thak You for any answer

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Edubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by NARGB View Post
    Thanks a lot, It worked fine!
    Good to hear.

transfer complete perfectly!

Thank's a lot!

Just one more question:

I saw that in the partition i used to install wubi, there still is the "ubuntu" folder that was created before, can I delete it? Must I uninstall the wubi from winXP?

Thak You for any answer
    Once you're happy everything is working, you can boot Windows and uninstall Wubi normally - either through the Control Panel Add/remove (entry Ubuntu) or run program \ubuntu\Uninstall-Ubuntu.exe

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by bcbc View Post
    Good to hear.

Once you're happy everything is working, you can boot Windows and uninstall Wubi normally - either through the Control Panel Add/remove (entry Ubuntu) or run program \ubuntu\Uninstall-Ubuntu.exe
    Hi!

i'm happy and everything seems to work in a good way

But....

i can't find in the grub's list window xp! That is I can only charge ubuntu and not xp. I could even not be a big problem but I would like to access to it in order to uninstall the wubi version of ubuntu.

any suggestion?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Hi!

i'm happy and everything seems to work in a good way

But....

i can't find in the grub's list window xp! That is I can only charge ubuntu and not xp. I could even not be a big problem but I would like to access to it in order to uninstall the wubi version of ubuntu.

any suggestion?
    If running "sudo update-grub" doesn't add it, then post the results of the bootinfoscript.

I haven't come across cases in my tests where windows wasn't added to the grub menu.

Beans

Smile Re: HOWTO: migrate wubi install to partition

Hi bcbc,

Thank you for this great HowTo.
    It worked pretty well for me, firstly I tried to execute the script inside the running wubi-ubuntu, but then I realised that I should use sth like a liveCD, and I boot-ed Puppy Linux from my usb, and ran the script from there. Worked like a charm Now Ubuntu has gained independence on my comp

This HowTo should be on the wubi FAQ or the default method for migrating.

BR

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by enid View Post
    Hi bcbc,

Thank you for this great HowTo.
    It worked pretty well for me, firstly I tried to execute the script inside the running wubi-ubuntu, but then I realised that I should use sth like a liveCD, and I boot-ed Puppy Linux from my usb, and ran the script from there. Worked like a charm Now Ubuntu has gained independence on my comp

This HowTo should be on the wubi FAQ or the default method for migrating.

BR
    Hi enid,
    That --root-disk=... option is a new feature that was introduced with version 2.0: to do a migration from a live CD/USB. You could also have run it from the booted Wubi install, which is the simplest approach for most. It can also migrate a normal (non-wubi) Ubuntu install.

I have added a link to this how to in the Wubi Guide.

Thanks for the feedback!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by bcbc View Post
    Hi enid,
    That --root-disk=... option is a new feature that was introduced with version 2.0: to do a migration from a live CD/USB. You could also have run it from the booted Wubi install, which is the simplest approach for most. It can also migrate a normal (non-wubi) Ubuntu install.

I have added a link to this how to in the Wubi Guide.

Thanks for the feedback!
    Hi bcbc,
    Sorry for not getting right this part (--root-disk=... option). Indeed firstly I added this option also on the booted wubi install.
    Great you've added the link to Wubi Guide.

You have my congratulations on this.

BR

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by enid View Post
    Hi bcbc,
    Sorry for not getting right this part (--root-disk=... option). Indeed firstly I added this option also on the booted wubi install.
    Great you've added the link to Wubi Guide.

You have my congratulations on this.

BR
    Ah that makes sense. I put in checks to prevent using --root-disk= when it's mounted, but I was thinking 'mounted for browsing' rather than 'running the wubi at the time'. So perhaps the message should have been clearer.

I'll modify post #1 to clarify.

Thanks again for the feedback. You can see how important it is, because otherwise I'm limited to my own experience and assumptions on how it will be used.

Page 22 of 69 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast