Page 16 of 69 FirstFirst ... 614151617182666 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: migrate wubi install to partition

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Edubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: HOWTO: migrate wubi install to partition

Quote Originally Posted by bilkay View Post
    a. Time to spare (golf courses closed - snow)
    b. Hibernation

I can't seem to get hibernation working. I migrated with a swap file rather than a partition. My /etc/initramfs-tools/conf.d/resume looks like this:
    Code:
    RESUME=UUID=95b5d034-f19b-4f3d-b509-f7eec40748a5 resume_offset=4063232
    The UUID is /dev/sda4 (my root). The resume_offset is the number from:

Code:
    $ sudo filefrag -v /swap/swap1.file
    Filesystem type is: ef53
    File size of /swap/swap1.file is 3174400000 (775000 blocks, blocksize 4096)
     ext logical physical expected length flags
       0       0  4063232           32768 
       1   32768  4098048  4095999  32768 
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1042946 ( HOWTO: Use swapfile instead of partition and hibernate ) gives instructions for updating grub, but they don't seem relevant to the current version of grub. But I don't see how that would prevent it from going INTO hibernation.
    Yeah I remember seeing this sometime back. I tried it without success. Maybe if you post on that thread they can help you.

If you can create a new partition (e.g. your ubuntu is on a logical), just use gparted to resize and then create a swap file. It might be easier. Take suitable backups before resizing - but it seems to work well - at least resizing from the end of the partition.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by bcbc View Post
    Yeah I remember seeing this sometime back. I tried it without success. Maybe if you post on that thread they can help you.

If you can create a new partition (e.g. your ubuntu is on a logical), just use gparted to resize and then create a swap file. It might be easier. Take suitable backups before resizing - but it seems to work well - at least resizing from the end of the partition.
    Thanks for your help.

I really don't want to go the swap partition route - there are so many advantages to using swap files, and gparted already trashed one partition for me.

I just have one question about your HOWTO: That older thread I referenced makes grub changes so that the pre-hibernate condition is restored, rather than going through the boot process. You don't seem to be doing that. How is that so?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by bilkay View Post
    Thanks for your help.

I really don't want to go the swap partition route - there are so many advantages to using swap files, and gparted already trashed one partition for me.

I just have one question about your HOWTO: That older thread I referenced makes grub changes so that the pre-hibernate condition is restored, rather than going through the boot process. You don't seem to be doing that. How is that so?
    The swap uuid is placed in /etc/initramfs-tools/conf.d/resume:
    echo "RESUME=UUID=$(blkid -o value -s UUID /dev/sda6)" > /tmp/wubimove/etc/initramfs-tools/conf.d/resume
    You normally have to run "update-initramfs -u" after modifying this, but that happens as a result of uninstalling lupin-support anyway, so I don't bother repeating it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I'm back because even though I haven't resolved how to best partition my disk, I at least want to have my swap partition working so I can hibernate. As I described above, I set it up in gParted as /dev/sda7, with the file system as linux-swap.

My /etc/initramfs-tools/conf.d/resume file reads:

Code:
    RESUME=UUID=89a1b68b-20dd-4897-b826-92ba8adeb48d
    what changes do I have to make? Anything else I have to do?

Many thanks!

Beans

I'm am old chap but new in Linux. Wubi 9.10 on xp for 6 month. Want to move my wubi to partition but grub legacy 0.97)
    Went through your informative forum. Am I right your commands on #92 sep 27 10 will do for my migration? (including the lines in Italic) (I changed your partition no. in mine.)
    I'd like to ask first to avoid ending up in a mess (although you always find a way out. Great. )

My wubi is on a separate (logical) partition (sda6, 13.2 GB, 11.5 GB used). Sda7 formated ext4 (13.1 GB)the new ubuntu partition, sda8 swap-format 1.5 GB (1GB RAM) (somewhere I read I'd need sufficient unallocated space for swap. Is that necessary?)

Wubi back up in xp. done. works.

Something more to do before I start?

One last question: your second line in #92 is "mkfs.ext3 /dev/sdb10" Does it mean the main partition is formatted in ext3. Is that necessary? You recommend throughout the forum to use ext4.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Telos3K View Post
    I'm back because even though I haven't resolved how to best partition my disk, I at least want to have my swap partition working so I can hibernate. As I described above, I set it up in gParted as /dev/sda7, with the file system as linux-swap.

My /etc/initramfs-tools/conf.d/resume file reads:

Code:
    what changes do I have to make? Anything else I have to do?

Many thanks!
    Confirm the UUID, fstab and resume settings match, then update initial ram disk:
    Code:
    $ sudo blkid /dev/sda7
    /dev/sda7: UUID="89a1b68b-20dd-4897-b826-92ba8adeb48d" TYPE="swap"

$ cat /etc/fstab | grep swap
    UUID=89a1b68b-20dd-4897-b826-92ba8adeb48d none            swap    sw              0       0

$ cat /etc/initramfs-tools/conf.d/resume

# if that's all good
    $ sudo update-initramfs -u

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by hreinhardk View Post
    I'm am old chap but new in Linux. Wubi 9.10 on xp for 6 month. Want to move my wubi to partition but grub legacy 0.97)
    Went through your informative forum. Am I right your commands on #92 sep 27 10 will do for my migration? (including the lines in Italic) (I changed your partition no. in mine.)
    I'd like to ask first to avoid ending up in a mess (although you always find a way out. Great. )

My wubi is on a separate (logical) partition (sda6, 13.2 GB, 11.5 GB used). Sda7 formated ext4 (13.1 GB)the new ubuntu partition, sda8 swap-format 1.5 GB (1GB RAM) (somewhere I read I'd need sufficient unallocated space for swap. Is that necessary?)

Wubi back up in xp. done. works.

Something more to do before I start?

One last question: your second line in #92 is "mkfs.ext3 /dev/sdb10" Does it mean the main partition is formatted in ext3. Is that necessary? You recommend throughout the forum to use ext4.
    Yes, those instructions should work fine - and you've taken all the necessary precautions. But you're not leaving a lot of room to grow with the new partition, since you've already used 11.5GB.

For Karmic you should be fine with 1.5GB ram (I could hibernate with swap size = ram on karmic). I found Lucid requires more swap to hibernate. I'm not sure what you mean by requiring sufficient unallocated space for swap - as long as you have that swap partition that should be all you need.

Regarding the file system, I don't think it makes a big difference in terms of the migration. I tend to stick with the file system on the originating system, but there's no real reason for that. So, you should be fine to use ext4 - just update everywhere that I reference ext3 in the commands. Some people still think ext4 isn't as reliable as ext3 - I don't have an opinion on this.

Good luck and feedback is always welcome - I have the feeling that wubi + grub legacy is very uncommon these days, but if I hear different I might just add it to the script or provide a separate one.

Beans

Thanks for your quick reply.
    Rg. the space, the old wubi partition (sda6) is just in front of the new ubuntu, after migration.
    As soon as the new ubuntu works well I want to delete the old wubi and expand the new partition in this space. Should be possible to move the new ubuntu installation, shouldn't it?

Rg the format. Instead of changing your commands I just formated back to ext3

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by hreinhardk View Post
    Thanks for your quick reply.
    Rg. the space, the old wubi partition (sda6) is just in front of the new ubuntu, after migration.
    As soon as the new ubuntu works well I want to delete the old wubi and expand the new partition in this space. Should be possible to move the new ubuntu installation, shouldn't it?

Rg the format. Instead of changing your commands I just formated back to ext3
    I haven't had a problem resizing partitions in gparted, but I haven't done it a lot either - mostly shortened or lengthened from the right side - and made sure I had a backup. I think it should work either way but probably takes a lot longer doing what you want to do. Maybe get some opinions from other people on the forum on the best way to do this.

Beans

migration work very well. It was a great experience after having looked for a working migration tool quite long time. Thanks a lot.
    Ubuntu now boots much faster.

The boot menue seems to be strange (or perhaps only unfamiliar)
    This issue is frequentlydiscussed in this forum. I'll go through that again to work out what's on. If I get lost, I'll ask you again for help.

Page 16 of 69 FirstFirst ... 614151617182666 ... LastLast