Page 15 of 69 FirstFirst ... 513141516172565 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: migrate wubi install to partition

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: HOWTO: migrate wubi install to partition

Rebooted and looks like everything is working great -- Many thanks!

To complete the process, I'd like to optimize the partitioning.
    First, in GParted, can I change the file system type (for example ext2 to ext4 for sda6 and 8, and change to linux-swap for sda7), without damaging the data?

As to the sizing,

sda2, the windows OS drive, is sized at 116 GB and using 19. If I'm not going to be using adding to it much, I assume I can drop it to say, 30 GB?

sda6, I assume this is the Ubuntu OS? It is sized at 100GB and using 11. So I can drop that to, say 30 as well?

sda7 is now 100GB -- what should it be?

sda8 -- do I even need this, or did I make one too many partitions?

sda5 -- this is where all my data is. I assume I should make this as large as possible, after making the above reductions

Many thanks for your guidance.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Edubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by Telos3K View Post
    Rebooted and looks like everything is working great -- Many thanks!

To complete the process, I'd like to optimize the partitioning.
    First, in GParted, can I change the file system type (for example ext2 to ext4 for sda6 and 8, and change to linux-swap for sda7), without damaging the data?

As to the sizing,

sda2, the windows OS drive, is sized at 116 GB and using 19. If I'm not going to be using adding to it much, I assume I can drop it to say, 30 GB?

sda6, I assume this is the Ubuntu OS? It is sized at 100GB and using 11. So I can drop that to, say 30 as well?

sda7 is now 100GB -- what should it be?

sda8 -- do I even need this, or did I make one too many partitions?

sda5 -- this is where all my data is. I assume I should make this as large as possible, after making the above reductions

Many thanks for your guidance.
    OK... Great that it's working.

Now... slow down and back up all your data before messing with your partitions.

1. Don't change ext2 to ext4 using gparted. There probably is a way but that's not it. I'd just copy your install to an ext4 partition or backup, modify, restore. I suggest you create a new thread for that. (Or just leave it as ext2 for now).
    2. Your swap should be approx the size of your RAM + about 1GB to be safe - and that's only if you want to hibernate.

Other than that - I can't really advise what you should do with your partitions. Just note that modifying the partitions will likely require updates to grub.

I'm glad the migration (finally) worked, despite the customizations.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

OK, I'll research and check the appropriate threads for the best way to back up and then optimize the partitons.

Thanks for all your help!

Beans

Hello, I am new to this and put a lot of work into customizing my Ubuntu 10.4. will I loose my wubi if this doesn't work. Thank you for the time you put into this and also for sharing. I have a dual boot set up...Windows 7 and Vista. Wubi is installed in the vista partition.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by chauncy22 View Post
    Hello, I am new to this and put a lot of work into customizing my Ubuntu 10.4. will I loose my wubi if this doesn't work. Thank you for the time you put into this and also for sharing. I have a dual boot set up...Windows 7 and Vista. Wubi is installed in the vista partition.
    Hi, the migration is designed to leave the wubi install untouched.

The only thing it does is to run "update-grub" in order to add the migrated install to the wubi grub menu.

The idea is that you check the migrated install and only when you're happy, you can remove the wubi install. (But of course you can keep and continue to use both if you choose to.)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

I migrated a couple of weeks ago, using this guide, after running wubi for several months. I don't see ANY difference, other than one less boot menu. Why go to all the trouble?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by bilkay View Post
    I migrated a couple of weeks ago, using this guide, after running wubi for several months. I don't see ANY difference, other than one less boot menu. Why go to all the trouble?
    People have different reasons for migrating. Maybe they're running out of space on Ubuntu... they want to be able to hibernate ... more stability... ...

Without a migration procedure most people end up reinstalling which can be a pain if you've spent a long time tweaking things and can't remember everything you've done.

Why did you migrate?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Another satisfied customer, thanks a lot for this bcbc.

Converted a quite involved wubi 10.10 amd64 installation with custom kernel and restricted hardware drivers on a Dell Inspiron 14R laptop (not the most Linux-friendly device initially) from Windows 7 loop drive to dual-boot on an ext4 file system with zero problems.

Excellent, this should be made an official part of wubi somehow.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by hopper333 View Post
    Another satisfied customer, thanks a lot for this bcbc.

Converted a quite involved wubi 10.10 amd64 installation with custom kernel and restricted hardware drivers on a Dell Inspiron 14R laptop (not the most Linux-friendly device initially) from Windows 7 loop drive to dual-boot on an ext4 file system with zero problems.

Excellent, this should be made an official part of wubi somehow.
    Great! You're welcome.

I think there was always supposed to be an official migration tool - the vision was for one that could partition as well. I think that's all on the back burner as the chief maintainer for Wubi doesn't seem to be involved anymore, and Canonical hasn't assigned anyone to replace him.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by bcbc View Post
    People have different reasons for migrating. Maybe they're running out of space on Ubuntu... they want to be able to hibernate ... more stability... ...

Without a migration procedure most people end up reinstalling which can be a pain if you've spent a long time tweaking things and can't remember everything you've done.

Why did you migrate?
    a. Time to spare (golf courses closed - snow)
    b. Hibernation

I can't seem to get hibernation working. I migrated with a swap file rather than a partition. My /etc/initramfs-tools/conf.d/resume looks like this:
    Code:
    RESUME=UUID=95b5d034-f19b-4f3d-b509-f7eec40748a5 resume_offset=4063232
    The UUID is /dev/sda4 (my root). The resume_offset is the number from:

Code:
    $ sudo filefrag -v /swap/swap1.file
    Filesystem type is: ef53
    File size of /swap/swap1.file is 3174400000 (775000 blocks, blocksize 4096)
     ext logical physical expected length flags
       0       0  4063232           32768 
       1   32768  4098048  4095999  32768 
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1042946 ( HOWTO: Use swapfile instead of partition and hibernate ) gives instructions for updating grub, but they don't seem relevant to the current version of grub. But I don't see how that would prevent it from going INTO hibernation.

Page 15 of 69 FirstFirst ... 513141516172565 ... LastLast