Page 11 of 69 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: migrate wubi install to partition

Beans

Re: HOWTO: migrate wubi install to partition

And it worked like a charm. There is a problem though this page is not indexed properly on google. It should come as the first post on internet.

Let me know how I can help with you that.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Edubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by pariksheetsharma View Post
    And it worked like a charm. There is a problem though this page is not indexed properly on google. It should come as the first post on internet.

Let me know how I can help with you that.
    You just give lots of money to google and it's sorted

Beans

As soon as I quit skipping the first step (changing to root..lol), this worked flawlessly for me! Thank you so much.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Ragnar! View Post
    As soon as I quit skipping the first step (changing to root..lol), this worked flawlessly for me! Thank you so much.
    You're welcome
    Yeah - being root works better

Beans

Hi everybody, I'm new to the forum and also to ubuntu.
    On my pc I have win xp and wubi, no partitions (right?), so, can I use your script?

Thankyou very much!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by ettostra View Post
    Hi everybody, I'm new to the forum and also to ubuntu.
    On my pc I have win xp and wubi, no partitions (right?), so, can I use your script?

Thankyou very much!
    You need to create the target partition(s) before running the script, which isn't covered in this howto as there are already a lot of existing resources dedicated to partitioning.

If you would like specific help on this for your particular setup, you can create a new thread and you'll get lots of advice from forum members.

Good luck!

PS here're are a couple of links. I can't vouch for everything in them, but they have some good info.
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Ho...dowsPartitions
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Pa...t=Partitioning
    http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Multiple_OS_Installation
    Last edited by bcbc; November 5th, 2010 at 06:41 PM. Reason: Add links on partitioning

Beans

Good, so I will do that partition..!

Thankyou...!

Beans

ettostra, you may have to use a 3rd party partition app for XP unless you know how to partition hard drives at the "bios" level. Vista and Window 7 have the utility 'Disk Management".

I recommend you do a defrag before adding a new partition. Then again, depending on the partition app, maybe its not needed. I don't know.

Identify the new partition. If you never had a partition it is probably dev5. I don't know.

Depend on the speed of your computer, be patient. I was not patient because I thought nothing was happening at the command line so I press 'enter' and message popped up "This may take a while ..."

I had no hang ups (thanks bcbc! for this script)

Its great to have your computer to dual booth. My girlfriend caught me with some border line explicit (but not that obscene) images on my Window side. So I moved these images to my Linux side which has two users. Besides password locked, she doesn't like to meddle in Linux too complicated even though Ubuntu is fairly "Window" like. ... even in Window, remove a couple of tool bars off the menu of MS Word or Excel, my girlfriend is already lost like a fish out of water.

Good luck ettostra. Cool thing about Linux on its own partition, you could browse the Window partition but not visa-versa. Maybe you can, but I can't on my computer.

Beans

hey complete noob at all of this. i have four mb left and need to partition, obviously. i have downloaded the wubi-move.sh file but donot know what to do with it. when i open the terminal and try going through the non-manual steps it comes up that it cannot find the bash file? Please help

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by dougadew View Post
    hey complete noob at all of this. i have four mb left and need to partition, obviously. i have downloaded the wubi-move.sh file but donot know what to do with it. when i open the terminal and try going through the non-manual steps it comes up that it cannot find the bash file? Please help
    Likely you downloaded it to your Downloads folder.
    So you'd either change to that directory:
    Code:
    cd ~/Downloads
    and then run it from there or just run
    Code:
    sudo bash ~/Downloads/wubi-move.sh /dev/sdXY /dev/sdXZ
    where /dev/sdXY is the prepared target partition and /dev/sdXZ the prepared swap partition (optional)

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Page 11 of 69 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161 ... LastLast