Thread: Boot problems

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Boot problems

I downloaded Ubuntu 10.10 64-bit and installed to a flash drive following canonicals commands. When it boots, I get a black screen with options. I click on Boot from USB (as opposed to install ubuntu to hard drive) and then I get a black screen with white text . . . .

Any ideas?

P.S. Is there any advantage to using 64-bit with only 3GB of RAM, or should I just use the 32-bit?
    Blog|Twitter|NO FACEBOOK

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Boot problems

Now that you have it downloaded you might try using System>Administration>Startup Disk Creator to install it to the pen drive. If that doesn't work check the download for errors:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HowToMD5SUM
    and download again if needed.
    I never tried installing 64 bit to a pen drive. I do have trouble with 64 bit on some things like my Canon MP640 printer.
    Give me a stable operating system, and I will make it unstable

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by TriBlox6432 View Post
    I downloaded Ubuntu 10.10 64-bit and installed to a flash drive following canonicals commands. When it boots, I get a black screen with options. I click on Boot from USB (as opposed to install ubuntu to hard drive) and then I get a black screen with white text . . . .
    Please quote what Linux Ubuntu Distro your using because the Ubuntu Server dosent come with a GUI. Also when a Linux Distro boots up it flashes code like the matrix for a few seconds this is just the normal Linux boot up process and you should leave it to do its thing. IF it stops for a considerable amount of time then you may post the error in this thread and me or others will do the best to help you

Quote Originally Posted by TriBlox6432 View Post
    P.S. Is there any advantage to using 64-bit with only 3GB of RAM, or should I just use the 32-bit?
    64-Bit is only useful when you have more then 4GB of RAM as it can address more then the limit of 4GB. So no you only need 32-bit

Good Luck
    Last edited by Heliguy; February 21st, 2011 at 12:22 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Even with 3GB of RAM, 64 bit will be slightly better. But the more memory you have the better it is. I am running 64bit on my laptop with only 1.5GB without problems. That may be too small that the larger address size offsets the 64bit advantages, so I may not be ahead. But I boot 64 on my Desktop and I want the same configuration.

You may have video issues. If you hit a key as soon as it starts while the stick figure & keyboard are at the bottom, you should get a menu. Then try f6 and nomodeset.
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Well i would argue about the compatibility of certain things aswell

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by Heliguy View Post
    Ubuntu Server dosent come with a GUI.
    Am I missing something? I did not read "server" in the OP.

I had a similar problem with an ATI video card. My entire system would freeze. (Start with #13)

As for 64-bit ... If you have a 64-bit processor ... Why would you load 32-bit OS? (I don't have an answer, that's why I am asking.)
    Last edited by mn_voyageur; February 21st, 2011 at 12:46 AM. Reason: Added link to other thread.
    Running Linux on everything.
    Encouraging others to do the same.