Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cannot access windows 7 Partition

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Cannot access windows 7 Partition

I found this problem as well, it turned out to be Wubi cant see the drive it is installed on accept for the space allocated. You can either do what other people have said and set up a duel boot system, Or as your running windows 7, go to the computer management and create a new partition. Then use Wubi and install it on the new partition you have created (fill up the whole space), this will allow you to see your Windows 7 Partition within ubuntu. While still having the ability to uninstall it as a windows program when needed.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by shadow1983 View Post
    I found this problem as well, it turned out to be Wubi cant see the drive it is installed on accept for the space allocated. You can either do what other people have said and set up a duel boot system, Or as your running windows 7, go to the computer management and create a new partition. Then use Wubi and install it on the new partition you have created (fill up the whole space), this will allow you to see your Windows 7 Partition within ubuntu. While still having the ability to uninstall it as a windows program when needed.
    Read the thread it is available in wubi.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Yea read it wrong sorry, ignore my post

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by shadow1983 View Post
    Yea read it wrong sorry, ignore my post
    I didn't even know it could be done myself until bcbc suggested the location, it is easy to miss stuff on threads.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by ricardino View Post
    Hi all,

Ive just installed ubuntu on my laptop in a dual boot configuration, and its working perfectly. However, i am unable to access my windows partition from my ubuntu install. The drive shows up as a device named SYSTEM RESERVED, but i am still able see basic properties, such as its size. All im able to see on this drive when i access it via nautilus is a folder named boot and a folder names system volume information neither if which contain anything resembling my windows file system.
    In preinstalled Win7 systems, the partition you're mentioning is typically the one containing the boot loader files. If this is indeed the case on your machine, LEAVE IT ALONE!! You mess with this, and you won't be able to boot Win7 anymore.

I suspect that the problem may be caused my windows' new drive encryption although im not sure. Im just wondering if anyone else confirm my suspicions?
    This two-partition scheme, in which the boot partition is NOT encrypted, but the OS partition IS, was the primary reason that MS came up with their two-partition default install scheme for Win7.

Given that the OS partition is encrypted, you won't be able to see its contents. IF you could see them, then simply booting from an Ubuntu LiveCD would bypass the encryption -- and that wouldn't be very secure, now would it?
    Ubuntu 20.04, Mint 19.10; MS Win10 Pro.
    Will not respond to PM requests for support -- use the forums.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12