Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: introduction and a few questions.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

introduction and a few questions.

Hi, I am new to the forums and fairly new to Linux. I have toyed around with Linux a little bit, primarhily with Ubuntu. I recently decided to kick my Windows habits and switch entirely over to Ubuntu (except for one small windows partion with which to game.) I have 2 computers. A 64 bit desktop primarily used for gaming. On it I am dual-booting Vista and Ubuntu LTS 10.04. I also have a 32 bit laptop which I rarely use windows on. On it I am triple-booting windows xp, Backtrack 4, and Ubuntu LTS 10.04.
    After testing out several different distros, I just didn't find one I liked better than Ubuntu, so I am sticking with it.
    On to my couple questions. I am semi-familiar with Ubuntu, and can to most things on it fairly well, so I am mostly interested in how I can improve my experience; specifically with software. what are the must-haves and recommendations when it comes to software. And how can I learn Ubuntu better beyond the content in the 'new to ubuntu' thread.

I also have a question about backtrack 4, since I believe it is based on Ubuntu. I have it installed on my laptop, so I was wondering how I can switch to the gnome interface rather than kde if it is possible.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: introduction and a few questions.

Welcome to Ubuntu/Ubuntu forums!

I don't know about backtrack4 question but I will try to help you on the other ones. Well this really depends on you, what you do on the system, but generally a web browser(I prefer firefox), a media player like Vlc, IRC client like xchat, Im client like Pidgin/empathy. As I said, really depends on what you want to do. Take a look at Ubuntu software center located in Applications>Ubuntu software center.
    As for learning more about ubuntu keep an eye on #ubuntu, #ubuntu-beginners on IRC freenode and also, read this book. It's free and it's a good starting point.
    http://ubuntu-manual.org/

Good luck!
    Remember to mark your thread as solved if your issue has been fixed.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Thanks, As to what I do on my system, mostly I game, but besides that I use it on a wide variety of things, and I like to have a little bit of everything. Is there like a website that lists the top software in each category?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Well, I know some good games you might like for Linux. I used to only use Windows for gaming, but now, there are plenty of good games for Linux. Here is a list: Warzone 2100, Nexuiz, FlightGear (awesome), FreeCol, FreedroidRPG, gl-117, Globulation 2, Hedgewars, OpenBVE, Supertuxkart, TORCS, Castle Wolfenstein Enemy Territory, and UrbanTerror. I have all these installed on my laptop now. Some other good apps include: GIMP, Dia, XSane (image scanner), Stellarium, Hydrogen Drum Machine, and HTOP.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Also, I am working on a website (see my signature) that will list some good apps and games for Ubuntu. Should have it up and running in a month or so.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by ubudog View Post
    Well, I know some good games you might like for Linux. I used to only use Windows for gaming, but now, there are plenty of good games for Linux. Here is a list: Warzone 2100, Nexuiz, FlightGear (awesome), FreeCol, FreedroidRPG, gl-117, Globulation 2, Hedgewars, OpenBVE, Supertuxkart, TORCS, Castle Wolfenstein Enemy Territory, and UrbanTerror. I have all these installed on my laptop now. Some other good apps include: GIMP, Dia, XSane (image scanner), Stellarium, Hydrogen Drum Machine, and HTOP.
    thanks for the lists, i'll definitely check those out. There are a few windows games however that I just wont leave, so I'll be keeping my windows partition until I find that all the games I like will work good enough with wine

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

http://www.playdeb.net/welcome/

This is an interesting website which I think suits your needs, you can find applications, games. Try it, to install you click"install this now" and ok. Hope this helps you.

By the way, if you have also Windows games, take a look at Wine, http://www.winehq.org/
    To see the list of applications supported go at http://appdb.winehq.org/
    You can find Wine in Ubuntu software center.
    Ps: don't forget to mark your thread as solve by going to thread tools above and clicking mark as resolved when your issues have been fixed. Thanks!

Good luck and have fun!
    Last edited by aloprot; June 27th, 2010 at 01:26 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

ok, I'll remember to mark it as solved, however I still have that last question I asked about gnome on backtrack 4

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Yes I know, sorry I was in a rush and forgot to type "when your issues have been fixed". I did edited it. Well I hope you get that question answered too. Just wait, there are a lot of great people here and I am shure they will help you.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Im bumping this. the only question I have left is how to change my kde desktop to gnome on backtrack 4

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast