Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: HOW TO: Install and conficure Canon MX340 (Ubuntu Lucid 64 bit)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: HOW TO: Install and conficure Canon MX340 (Ubuntu Lucid 64 bit)

Works great! Thanks so much, love the Ubuntu community precisely for posts like this. Thanks.

Beans

Thank you!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Greatly useful post! Thank you.

Beans

Great awesome post, thanks.

I followed all steps and done it smoothly with no problems. 1 thing though, I can't get it configured to print B/W only. It seems to be using the Color ink all the time, which is expensive.

How do I get it to print B/W only?

Thank you.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Archival Liaisons View Post
    Hi Cypher2, great "How To" it worked for me, Thanks,

p.s. Drivers now available on the European Site.

http://software.canon-europe.com/products/0010835.asp
    I don't know if this is the case with the original link to the Asian site but the European site also includes html manuals with install instructions. It is done in a terminal but uses an install.sh command with some prompts following to get the printer set up. I found this to be very easy and recommend it. Same with scanner, though I have not tested the scanning function. Note that the scanner apparently only works via GIMP.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I was able to get the scanner to work by following the initial post. I had to right click on the desktop and click "Creat Launcher" and then type the commands as instructed. However, the scanning utility is very limited. It does not provide for mulltipage documents--at least as far as I can tell. But thanks to the OPer for a very good tutorial.

[edit] It does appear to allow for multi-page scanning. It seems you have to use the document feeder for it to work. It scans the pages automatically into a multi-page pdf (or other chosen format).
    Last edited by HouTex; February 18th, 2011 at 07:03 PM.

Beans

Sorry to resurrect this thread but I've hit a brick wall with this. If we go to the following instruction from the original post we see this line:

If your router/modem is encrypted with a password (which it normally should), the printer will ask for it - enter it via the number input panel on the right, press OK.
    The problem is that my router uses a 128 bit key with both letters and numbers and is coded something like a0:df:00:e7: etc. There are 13 pairs in this key. The Canon keypad has no ability to enter letters. When I try to enter 'a' it inputs '2', etc. The result is an error. No mater how I try to compensate, it just errors. Obviously, I don't understand something. Does anyone know what I should be doing?

BTW, I am using a Siemans Gigaset801 modem/router. The Canon MX340 has no trouble finding it; I just can't make it log in.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

This works on 10.10 (Meerkat) 64-bit also.

However, after installing the drivers I couldn't find the printer, so I switched it off, fired it back up, waited 15 minutes (not deliberately, I was just playing with the dog) - and it was found.

Test-page printed just fine, too - yay!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by AndyCinDallas; March 31st, 2011 at 11:10 PM.

Beans

I finally got the password in. On the keypad, the * button is used to change from a number to a capital letter or a lower case letter. Canon should have that in the instruction manual. It's straight forward once you know, but figuring it out is a nightmare.

Now to proceed with the rest of the instructions.

Beans

My MX340 is now printing. After going around in circles for several days I went back to the printer and extended the WSD Timeout from 1 to 5 minutes. That worked. I had ignored WSD because I thought it was a purely Windows function. Apparently not.

If anyone else here is configuring by hand, lpd://192.168.1.65/PASSTHRU is what works with this printer. The IP address came from the printer's Network Configuration Page which is generated by choosing "sub-menu PRINT LAN DETAILS."

I am posting this because it might help someone else. The instructions posted by Cypher2 are good and I thank him for them.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast