Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Compiz Water Effect Makes Screen Black In Lucid?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Compiz Water Effect Makes Screen Black In Lucid?

Hey guys im using Ubuntu 10.04 and i just need help getting the water effect working correctly whenever i enable it and try to iniate it it just makes my screen black =/. It sucks because i really loved that feature (on 64-bit btw) well any help is appriciated .
    w0Rm is more than just a name it is a lifestyle choice i plan on forcing on america xD

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Compiz Water Effect Makes Screen Black In Lucid?

Does anyone know? Maybe a compiz pro? I really did love that feature
    w0Rm is more than just a name it is a lifestyle choice i plan on forcing on america xD

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

This is just a shot in the dark, but it could be because the video driver you are using doesn't have 3d acceleration fully functional for your current setup. If it isn't explicitly a 3d acceleration issue I would be willing to bet that it is a driver issue one way or another. Try searching for some threads where people are discussing drivers for your specific card, or give your system specs here and someone may be able offer some advice.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by Yarui View Post
    This is just a shot in the dark, but it could be because the video driver you are using doesn't have 3d acceleration fully functional for your current setup. If it isn't explicitly a 3d acceleration issue I would be willing to bet that it is a driver issue one way or another. Try searching for some threads where people are discussing drivers for your specific card, or give your system specs here and someone may be able offer some advice.
    Yeah well a friend of mine is having the exact same prob. Like to the T but ill post my specs anyway.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------

My graphics card is an ATI M880G Radeon HD 4200
    Subsystem : : HP Device 363F
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    My CPU is a AMD Sempron(tm) M120 800.000 MHz
    L2 Cache=512 KB
    ===================================
    I hope someone can help =/

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

If you have a Radeon HD 4200 I think that may be your problem. I have the same onboard video card and had some trouble getting 3d acceleration to work on it. While I was trying to get decent drivers installed I found some documentation that said that the Radeon drivers don't have full support for the HD 4200. I just checked and I get the same issue with the compiz rain effect. You may have to wait a while for support to be added for your card, or if that doesn't end up happening you might have to live without that feature until you upgrade your hardware.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Alright thank you the effect should work on the netbook im building so ill have it either way lol. Thanks for your answer

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

No problem. If you ever end up finding some way to fix it, post your solution here. I'll try to remember to do the same thing.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Yarui View Post
    If you have a Radeon HD 4200 I think that may be your problem. I have the same onboard video card and had some trouble getting 3d acceleration to work on it. While I was trying to get decent drivers installed I found some documentation that said that the Radeon drivers don't have full support for the HD 4200. I just checked and I get the same issue with the compiz rain effect. You may have to wait a while for support to be added for your card, or if that doesn't end up happening you might have to live without that feature until you upgrade your hardware.
    However, the proprietary AMD drivers *do* support the HD series (from HD2xxx up) including the Mobility models; they support models in that range that the base FOSS drivers don't (such as the HD5xxx series). Consider using those (System-> Hardware Drivers). I had to use those for my HD5450 as the HD5xxx cards have no 3D support without them (though 2D is supported using the FOSS drivers, depending on distribution, performance is much improved even there with the proprietary drivers).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Yeah thats what i did was enable the 3D acceleration but it still dosent work and it dosent seem to be working on 10.10 alpha 1 either. Kinda weird but yeah actually without that driver the basic extra effects dont even work with ati. =/

Beans

I have the rain effect working now on my ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5600/5700 Series.

The only way I got it working was by uninstalling the driver reccommended by ubuntu installer. Then installing it manually from http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownloa...eon_linux.aspx. now all is fine. Seems that the driver that ubuntu installs doesn't really enable all 3D options, I am using Ubuntu 10.04 if this helps.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast