Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: MultiBootUSB - Install and boot multiple Linux from Pendrive / Flash drive / USB disk

MountainX is offline Iced Blended Vanilla Crème Ubuntu
    Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: MultiBootUSB - Install and boot multiple Linux from Pendrive / Flash drive / USB

I've got a bug report:
    if the path to the iso images contains a directory containing the string systemrescue, the script doesn't work properly.

Also, the GUI doesn't seem to work on kubuntu...
    Desktop: KX Studio (Kubuntu 12.04)
    Laptop & Netbook: Kubuntu 12.04
    Tablet: Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1
    Phone: Nexus 4 Cyanogenmod

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: MultiBootUSB - Install and boot multiple Linux from Pendrive / Flash drive / USB

The new gparted works for me.

NimbleX 2008 looks like it is about to work then stops at:
    "Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(1,0)

When I select "First partition... " when booting I get "This is not a bootable disk. Please insert a bootable floppy and press any key to try again ..."

I've tried editing to "set root=(hd0,2), (hd=0,3), but does not help.

I will try the drive on another computer.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

This script is totally screwed up. Don't use it. I'm finding a ton of errors.

For example, most distros are missing the mount and mkdir commands at the point where the grub menu entries are written.

Another example that just totally screwed up:
    Code:
    if (grep "Xubuntu" ${TEMPDIST} ) ; then

cp ${ISO_XUBUNTU} ${USB_MOUNT}/boot/iso/

ISO=`basename ${ISO_MINT}`

cat <<EOF>> ${USB_MOUNT}/boot/grub/grub.cfg

menuentry "Mint" {
    		loopback loop /boot/iso/${ISO}
    		linux (loop)/casper/vmlinuz boot=casper iso-scan/filename=/boot/iso/${ISO} noeject noprompt --
    		initrd (loop)/casper/initrd.lz
    	}

EOF

umount ${LIVE_MOUNT}

fi
    way too many errors in this script
    Last edited by MountainX; July 11th, 2010 at 03:43 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by sundar_ima View Post
    Released beta 2.0 version. Included distros are
    Macpup (along with Lucid puppy)
    AVG Rescue CD
    GParted
    Peppermint
    Lubuntu
    Fedora
    however fedora is not working at the moment.
    Thanks for all the work you've done on the MultiBootUSB script, I'm currently using the beta 2.0 and am in the process of trying to boot the various distro iso's I've mentioned previously. Lucid-Puppy and the newest Gparted live cd have booted without any problems.

I realize your script is still in beta, however it has been able to accomplish what I wanted in a multi-boot usb, good job. If it didn't work, I'd probably still be trying to manually set one up, after extensive Google and forum searches, etc.
    Last edited by confused57; July 11th, 2010 at 05:16 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

This script is totally screwed up. Don't use it. I'm finding a ton of errors.
    Most of what I have tried works for me so I will gladly use it.

I realize your script is still in beta, however it has been able to accomplish what I wanted in a multi-boot usb, good job. If it didn't work, I'd probably still be trying to manually set one up, after extensive Google and forum searches, etc.
    I agree 100%

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

It is worthwhile to be able to read the code in the scripts. This one has a number of obvious errors. But if you guys want to blindly use it, go ahead. You'll end up with an Xubuntu iso labeled with a menu entry of Mint along with numerous other problems (too many to count last night).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

if the path to the iso images contains a directory containing the string systemrescue, the script doesn't work properly.
    What is the error are you getting? If possible could you upload the screenshot? Generally if you use space and special characters between two words in the iso directory (including sub directories) script will not run properly.
    Also, the GUI doesn't seem to work on kubuntu...
    Really strange to me because original script was written and tested in kubuntu. Again tested in PCLinuxOS (for GUI part only). Also i request you to explain more on the error.
    I'm finding a ton of errors.
    What are those errors exactly?
    most distros are missing the mount and mkdir commands
    Not all distros are required to mount. mount and mkdir command is not required if the distro has the option to boot directly from iso. All you need is just an iso file to /boot/iso directory.
    Yes i do agree that there are some mistakes and errors in the script but remember that this is still in beta version.
    and finally
    Don't use it.
    Thank you for downloading and using the script. I really appreciate you for reporting those bugs and pointing out mistakes.
    Last edited by sundar_ima; July 11th, 2010 at 05:47 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by sundar_ima View Post
    What is the error are you getting? If possible could you upload the screenshot?

Thank you for downloading and using the script. I really appreciate you for reporting those bugs and pointing out mistakes.
    First, the GUI never comes up for me so there is nothing to take a screen shot of. I just get a bunch of potentially dangerous and partially formed commands sent to the command line. When a script like this fails, it should not fail in a way that can cause damage to existing data. So that's a big problem with this script IMO.

Second, when looking at the code, I saw the Xubuntu/Mint mistake I already posted.

I also tested a number of statements by pasting them individually into the command line (a slow and painful way of debugging I must say). A number of them would not execute for reasons I don't know. Sorry I cannot be of more help.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

another problem I already mentioned is that if the path to the iso files contains systemrescue anywhere in it, the script will copy the wrong iso.

actually, if the paths have any of the strings the script expects in the filename of an iso file, things will go wrong.

again, that's just one example.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by MountainX View Post
    another problem I already mentioned is that if the path to the iso files contains systemrescue anywhere in it, the script will copy the wrong iso.

actually, if the paths have any of the strings the script expects in the filename of an iso file, things will go wrong.

again, that's just one example.
    I've been using Ubuntu and Linux long enough to realize running any script could be "dangerous"; therefore I ran it on a computer that I just built, just to check it out and it worked to my satisfaction.

When I initially ran the script, it wouldn't work because I had all the downloaded iso's in a directory named "isos"(creative, I know). Once I moved all of them to the root of the partition, the script ran fine, and as mentioned, the terminal window must be full-screen.

Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast