Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: MultiBootUSB - Install and boot multiple Linux from Pendrive / Flash drive / USB disk

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: MultiBootUSB - Install and boot multiple Linux from Pendrive / Flash drive / USB

I am trying to create a pendrive with Ubuntu Desktop/Server 32-bit and 64-bit. Some things I noticed:

1) Ubuntu Server iso 32-bit/64-bit were not recognized. Only the desktop images appear in the list.
    2) When choosing to create a pendrive with Ubuntu Desktop 32-bit and 64-bit, I make sure both are checked from the list, but when the script is finished, I only see 1 iso in the pendrive, specifically the amd64 one.
    3) The script asks for a password even when run with sudo. I tried running the script without sudo and/or without entering the password and there was actually no difference.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: MultiBootUSB - Install and boot multiple Linux from Pendrive / Flash drive / USB

I am trying to create a pendrive with Ubuntu Desktop/Server 32-bit and 64-bit.
    I have not included the support till now.

When choosing to create a pendrive with Ubuntu Desktop 32-bit and 64-bit, I make sure both are checked from the list, but when the script is finished, I only see 1 iso in the pendrive, specifically the amd64 one.
    I have assigned single variable for each version. If you try with different version (ubuntu 11.10 and ubuntu 11.04 or something like that) of 32 and 64 bit then it should detect and work with out an issue. Still you can rerun the script and install ubuntu one by one.

The script asks for a password even when run with sudo. I tried running the script without sudo and/or without entering the password and there was actually no difference.
    Yes, because it cant bypass zenity dialog box. The thing is that now you need not open terminal to run the script. Simply double click on the script and select run in terminal option. since it provides some sort of feedback/error message, it is strongly recommended that you run the script from terminal.

Beans
    Distro

I'm using Fedora-15-i686-Live-Desktop.iso
    Did you try it in latest version(4)? Because just before release i tested it and works fine with out an issue. Did you check the iso md5sum?
    Pls post grub.conf meny entry of fedora.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Yes sundar_ima, the checksum is ok. I have also installed Fedora 15 using this iso and all went well.
    Here is menu entry for Fedora from grub.cfg (on the MultiBootUSB stick)
    Code:
    menuentry "Fedora-Gnome" {
    		linux /boot/fedora/vmlinuz0 root=UUID=vfat live_dir=/boot/fedora rootfstype=auto ro liveimg quiet  rhgb rd_NO_LUKS rd_NO_M
    		initrd /boot/fedora/initrd0.img
    	}
    The installed Fedora boots fine.
    Many thanks for your time.
    MacBook Pro 10,1 retina

Beans
    Distro

root=UUID=vfat

Here is the mistake. vfat is not uuid. Use "blkid" command to find out uuid of the usb disk and replace it with "vfat" then it should work fine.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Ok, will do that, thanks.
    How did that get there?
    MacBook Pro 10,1 retina

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Thank you sundar_ima, that worked perfectly Very niiiiiiiice!

Can you tell me why that edit is necessary with only the Fedora entry? Why would grub.cfg have been configured to use "root=UUID=vfat" instead of the actual UUID of the flash drive? Is that something I can avoid in the future?
    Again, many thanks!
    MacBook Pro 10,1 retina

Beans
    Distro

Did you change any line of gnome.sh or kde.sh script? if not then it should work fine. I have tested it just now and works fine on my lappy.

It is configured to use actual UUID but i dont know why it didn't pickup.

Rerun the script and see if the same problem exists or download the new script and run the script.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Lol, no I have changed nothing in any script. I wouldn't know where to start!
    I am quite happy that it is configured to pick up the UUID by default. It may be a fault with my system, perhaps.
    I am using version 4.
    This is a very useful tool (even though I have most of my iso's booting from grub2 directly) and I'm grateful for your hard work on it.
    Thanks again.

By the way, wouldn't this qualify for a place in Tips and Tutorials section of the forum?
    Last edited by Quackers; June 4th, 2011 at 04:27 PM.
    MacBook Pro 10,1 retina

Beans
    Distro

By the way, wouldn't this qualify for a place in Tips and Tutorials section of the forum?
    Well, you will have to tell this...

Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast