Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The True Spirit of Ubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Cool The True Spirit of Ubuntu

If at first you don't succeed - just buy the company and tell them to make the one you want.

Beans

Re: The True Spirit of Ubuntu

I admire someone with the dedication to understand something and not just get frustrated with it. I am glad the man found something to do and in turn promoted so much good. Such things are what I believe in within the software world as well as out of it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

i liked the haiti part
    When close to achieving you quit! If you don't try you failed. Real Winners are not afraid of losing.
    ubuntu newsletter ; Report Papercuts (small annoyances/bugs) ; beginners guide and video http://youtube.com/watch?v=Z0tNpt5RZYI

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Very nice story, its sad to watch someone become uninspired.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

I read this a day or two ago- it really got to me. This is the real power Ubuntu can have in peoples' lives. I think, in our nice houses in front of our cheap yet powerful computers, we underestimate just how much power we have, and how much open source empowers us.

I can't really imagine having a computer without Linux, anymore. It would be like taking the Moon out of the sky. The spirit of community, and the warmth of this community, are not to be taken for granted I think.

Beans

That was well said my friend. I agree.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew-J View Post
    Very nice story, its sad to watch someone become uninspired.
    And more to the point heartwarming to watch them become reinspired, as in this article. Thank you steveneddy for posting this, if you hadn't i was going to.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by murderslastcrow View Post
    I can't really imagine having a computer without Linux, anymore. It would be like taking the Moon out of the sky. The spirit of community, and the warmth of this community, are not to be taken for granted I think.
    Yup; that's why I haven't abandoned Linux after all the problems I've had. Linux is where I'm by far most comfortable. GNOME/KDE almost feel like it was built identically for my needs

But yeah.. great to see an elderly person who isn't frightened of technology. I gave an Ubuntu disc to my aunt but she called me later saying "I don't want to put in the CD, it might give me a virus and I'm not techie enough to figure it out".

I hate how people have to treat computers as if it's a horribly hard task. It's an appliance.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

The reason they act this way is because a certain OS seems to reinforce this image of frailty and imbalance when it comes to computers. So, they generalize these issues to computers rather than the software they use. It always take people a few minutes, or sometimes months, to get used to the fact that Linux is stable, secure, and fast, and that something crazy isn't really going to happen.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by murderslastcrow View Post
    I read this a day or two ago- it really got to me. This is the real power Ubuntu can have in peoples' lives. I think, in our nice houses in front of our cheap yet powerful computers, we underestimate just how much power we have, and how much open source empowers us.

Me neither; my router, VOIP device, PMP, and several PCs all run Linux.

Still, seeing one lose inspiration is depressing; I need to ban someone to feel better.
    "Meddle not with roos; thou art crunchy and grasshopper-like" ※The SABRFL※

Last edited by ubunterooster; 1 Minute ago

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast