Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
Results 61 to 70 of 70

Thread: So...I can't use the terminal at my friends house...

  1. #61
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Beans
    4,324

    Re: So...I can't use the terminal at my friends house...

    Wow I just pictured someone being horizontally ejected from a home and it was hilarious. Kiwi you are something sometimes.

  2. #62
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Beans
    12,944

    Re: So...I can't use the terminal at my friends house...

    Quote Originally Posted by NightwishFan View Post
    Wow I just pictured someone being horizontally ejected from a home and it was hilarious. Kiwi you are something sometimes.
    awww shucks , what can I say ?
    This account is not active.

  3. #63
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Oregon, USA
    Beans
    1,534

    Re: So...I can't use the terminal at my friends house...

    Quote Originally Posted by Tristam Green View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Chronon View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by KiwiNZ View Post
    It maybe illogical, it maybe irrational, but again it's his PC it's his network. Therefore his choice and guests either honor that or stay out , to do anything else is arrogant and rude.
    It was not his PC and it wasn't connected to his network.
    I don't know how more clearly to say this: if someone is in *my house* and I tell the person to do something within reason, I expect him to either do it or leave.
    Your response doesn't really make sense. You appear to be trying to put words in my mouth.

    If the head of the household makes it clear that using my laptop in the house will result in my ejection then that seems like fair play. I can opt to leave and use my laptop or stay and respect the rules. It does not seem like fair play to ask me to use my laptop to test something and then eject me for some feature of my computer when it isn't connected to the home's computer or network in any way. This fictitious head-of-household has the right to make me leave at any time but I have the right to regard him or her as an irrational ninny.

  4. #64
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Dallas, Tx
    Beans
    266
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

    Re: So...I can't use the terminal at my friends house...

    Quote Originally Posted by KiwiNZ View Post
    It maybe illogical, it maybe irrational, but again it's his PC it's his network. Therefore his choice and guests either honor that or stay out , to do anything else is arrogant and rude.
    The OP mentions it is his laptop and he wasn't connected to the network, so that's not true. Its rude of the host to try to tell guests what they can do with their own property, and being rude about it should be unacceptable.
    Desktop
    Antec 300 Illusion, Athlon II X4 640, 8GB DDR3 1333, EarthWatts430W, Radeon HD 6670 1GB
    Laptop
    Lenovo Thinkpad Z61T, T7200@2.00GHz, 2GB DDR2, 100gb HD, TPM Encryption

  5. #65
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Porirua, New Zealand
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

    Re: So...I can't use the terminal at my friends house...

    While I might be open to someone using their laptop in my house, I'd probably want to set some boundaries, such as not using my network without my permission. If they didn't want to respect my wishes, there's a good chance that it would put a strain on whatever relationship we had.

    It might take some ingenuity, but there's probably a way of maintaining your friendship with your mate without incurring the wrath of his parents - even if it means swallowing your indignation at being wrongly accused and not using your laptop at your mate's place for now.
    Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Never assume that information you find using a search engine is up-to-date.

  6. #66
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Bozoville
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: So...I can't use the terminal at my friends house...

    The straw men are dying fast and furiously in this thread.

  7. #67
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Durham, UK
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

    Re: So...I can't use the terminal at my friends house...

    There unfortunatly are some people who will see the word Terminal and will just die rather that touch the computer again. I was a bit scared of the terminal way back and now look at me I now do *nearly* everyhing in the TTYs
    Do not PM for Support.
    Ubuntu Austria LoCo Admin
    Projects: Connary Internet Browser

  8. #68
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Beans
    295
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

    Re: So...I can't use the terminal at my friends house...

    Quote Originally Posted by Chronon View Post
    Your response doesn't really make sense. You appear to be trying to put words in my mouth.

    If the head of the household makes it clear that using my laptop in the house will result in my ejection then that seems like fair play. I can opt to leave and use my laptop or stay and respect the rules. It does not seem like fair play to ask me to use my laptop to test something and then eject me for some feature of my computer when it isn't connected to the home's computer or network in any way. This fictitious head-of-household has the right to make me leave at any time but I have the right to regard him or her as an irrational ninny.
    That's basically how it went down. I didn't even try to connect to a network, I just brought my laptop over which isn't the first time I've done it. Showed them Ubuntu, tried installing Windows software, opened up top to make sure it hadn't turned into a crazy process, got yelled at. He never had a problem before with me bringing over my laptop when I had Vista because in his head Vista + No wireless internet connection = No one can hack me. Now when he sees my laptop with a brand spanking new OS, Linux + terminal = magically create way to access non wireless network, wirelessly = Now this kid wants to hack me, everyone in the world wants to hack me, etc. etc. Everything I did was completely isolated on MY laptop. Hell he wouldn't even let my brother help set up his household network who's great at that kind of thing because he always had to do it at his work. The reason? Because he literally thought my brother just wanted to hack him. I don't see how I am possibly in the wrong here.

  9. #69
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Bozoville
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: So...I can't use the terminal at my friends house...

    Quote Originally Posted by Legendary_Bibo View Post
    That's basically how it went down. I didn't even try to connect to a network, I just brought my laptop over which isn't the first time I've done it. Showed them Ubuntu, tried installing Windows software, opened up top to make sure it hadn't turned into a crazy process, got yelled at. He never had a problem before with me bringing over my laptop when I had Vista because in his head Vista + No wireless internet connection = No one can hack me. Now when he sees my laptop with a brand spanking new OS, Linux + terminal = magically create way to access non wireless network, wirelessly = Now this kid wants to hack me, everyone in the world wants to hack me, etc. etc. Everything I did was completely isolated on MY laptop. Hell he wouldn't even let my brother help set up his household network who's great at that kind of thing because he always had to do it at his work. The reason? Because he literally thought my brother just wanted to hack him. I don't see how I am possibly in the wrong here.
    You have done nothing wrong, unless you're standing outside his bedroom window projecting an image of an open terminal on his ceiling, making "ooooh" noises.

  10. #70
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Beans
    12,944

    Re: So...I can't use the terminal at my friends house...

    I believe this thread has become terminal

    So lets put it to rest
    This account is not active.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •