Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So...I can't use the terminal at my friends house...

Hybrid View

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

So...I can't use the terminal at my friends house...

Well I was at my friends house earlier today, and I brought my laptop which has Ubuntu on it. I was just using it to give my friend some music and browse the internet while we hung out and watched some movies and what not. His dad however is kind of weird about computers considering he has at least four firewalls and three antivirus/malware/spyware programs running on his old XP machine all day. Now I'm not saying he's computer illiterate, but every time my friend uses his xbox and plays online his dad can see that someone is connecting with them and can see their mac addresses or some hexadecimal number or something and he will literally freak out because he thinks he's being hacked. So there's the background information.

So while I was at my friend's house, his dad was impressed by compiz effects and what not, but my friend wanted me to test if some windows programs would work on my laptop. Well I tried executing the windows program (which was one of the many AV programs his dad was trying to load onto his laptop). It didn't open at all, and I've had problems where wine executes a program but does nothing but makes my CPU run at its max, so I opened the terminal and started 'top' just to check if it was running...bad idea. His dad flipped out on me and started screaming at me saying I was trying to hack him (he has nothing on his computer, it's only used to track internet connected to it ), and I was kicked out for the day. The thing is...they don't have wireless internet at all.

Just an odd story I thought I'd share.
    Last edited by Legendary_Bibo; June 26th, 2010 at 06:18 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Re: So...I can't use the terminal at my friends house...

Just tell him to let you do what you do or you'll really hack him!
    Best thing that ever happened to me on Ubuntu Forums: http://i.imgur.com/itEJe.png

Beans

Why did I view that post. >_> Goodbye *ignores*

Anyway, yeah I had a similar story. My friends dad said 'no downloading' rule at his house. Which means no downloading nothing, no pictures, no game updates, etc.. Thats odd, but it was his rule so fine. I neglected to point out that web browsing was downloading too. Anyway, after a month the computer began to become slow and have popup ads etc.. I was to blame. The most I ever did on the machine was take turns on a game. I blame Hollywood.
    Last edited by NightwishFan; June 26th, 2010 at 06:22 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

The thing about what Hollywood shows us is that it's normally designed with more attention paid to viewer-friendliness than to technical accuracy. Too bad if those who aren't tech savvy can't (or won't) tell the difference.
    Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Never assume that information you find using a search engine is up-to-date.

Beans

I used to show friends my interface done all foreign and Hollywood hacker looking. I told them to be 'quiet about it'.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Legendary_Bibo View Post
    Just an odd story I thought I'd share.
    Sounds like that guy's mind has been hacked by paranoia. When you're that far gone, the unknown of an open terminal will do that to you. IMO it is far more dangerous than anything that can be done via computers.
    Last edited by powerpleb; June 26th, 2010 at 09:18 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by powerpleb View Post
    Sounds like that guy's mind has been hacked by paranoia. When you're that far gone the unknown of an open terminal will do that to you. IMO it is far more dangerous than anything that can be done via computers.
    I agree, some people get so paranoid they loose any sense of logic, and some people should not use computers. Anyway, why would you demonstrate wine's compatibility layer with an AV program? Maybe a popular game or something, but an AV program?
    I had to do it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Just because I'm paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get me.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Fallow View Post
    Just because I'm paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get me.
    Unfortunately there is no way to firewall your brain.

Beans

Yes there is, and I patented the idea pending the invention.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast