Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Huge .xsession-errors

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Huge .xsession-errors

Hi,

Just deleted my ~/.xsession-errors bigger than 8G bytes. The new file keeps growing by appending the "fDischargeMeanRate" message. What's happening?

(Linux 2.6.32-22-generic #36-Ubuntu SMP Thu Jun 3 19:31:57 UTC 2010 x86_64 GNU/Linux)

Beans

Re: Huge .xsession-errors

As a workaround, you could make a startup script that deletes the file and makes a symbolic link to /dev/null, effectively discarding everything written to it.

Code:
    #!/bin/bash

rm ~/.xsession-errors
    ln -s /dev/null ~/.xsession-errors
    Obviously, by doing this you opt out of any interesting tidbits that may be output to there. I found that the only error logs I really ended up reading were /var/log/Xorg.0.log{.old} and /var/log/kdm.log anyway.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Zorael View Post
    As a workaround, you could make a startup script that deletes the file and makes a symbolic link to /dev/null, effectively discarding everything written to it.

Code:
    #!/bin/bash

rm ~/.xsession-errors
    ln -s /dev/null ~/.xsession-errors
    Obviously, by doing this you opt out of any interesting tidbits that may be output to there. I found that the only error logs I really ended up reading were /var/log/Xorg.0.log{.old} and /var/log/kdm.log anyway.

Awesome.
    Thanks.
    Just deleted a 17.3G xsession-errors file..... doh..

Beans

Hi all,

I'm having the same problem but mutated and even ugglier.

Following the suggested workaround I instead got a huge .xsession-errors[jumble of letters].

When I noticed this, I simply deleted the file, and then modified the script to say rm ~/.xsession-errors*.

Alas, what is happening now is that that same file is being created, at least sort of. If I do

lsof | awk '{print $7 $9}' | sort -nr | less

the top 20 hits are that very same (huge) file, with identical inode numbers.

Needless to day a df call tells me the drive if full, but a search with sudo du -shx at the root tells me ~23 Gb used (out of 100 Gb). Oh, and a restart solves the problem temporarily. The only programs I'm running are matlab and chrome. The pace of which the used portion of the drive (as revealed by df) increases significantly once I start running these.

At this point, I'm quite in despair. Any suggestions would be useful.

Beans

Had the same problem with 11GB .xsession-errors. Fixed it with a solution I found to disable the recent history too.

rm .xsession-errors
    touch .xsession-errors
    sudo chattr -i .xsession-errors

Simply delete the file. Create an empty file. Set the immutable attribute. Which makes the file protected against writing and deleting. Nothing can be logged.

Note that until you logout the file space deleted is not unallocated because the file is being held open.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by bugssoren View Post
    Note that until you logout the file space deleted is not unallocated because the file is being held open.
    Thanks for the heads up. I was able to avoid that unpleasantness by truncating the file (echo > ~/.xsession-errors) rather than deleting it. Mine was 119GB. Do I win a prize?

Beans

nope... 850GB on my machine

Beans

I seems I've got the second place with 375G .xsession-errors

Beans

The only way I've gotten it to stop growing it putting it in the recycle bin manually. A simple rm doesn't work as the file is kept open and keeps on growing. I'm running the Linux Spotify client which causes a tremendous amount of errors.

Beans

I'm sorry, but I just had to report this, as I think I'm currently the second place in this thread: 609GB

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast