Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: HOWTO: Install Sun Java in Ubuntu 10.04 - the easiest way

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: HOWTO: Install Sun Java in Ubuntu 10.04 - the easiest way

You are using Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala, where Sun Java is part of the multiverse repository. In the tab "Ubuntu Software" you need to click on the "multiverse" entry. Then you can install the package sun-java6-plugin.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by soldier1st View Post
    why would you want sun java when you get OpenJDK?are there any advantages of using sun java instead of OpenJDK?i have java apps and they work fine with OpenJDK.
    All the Internet banks in Norway depend upon running Sun Java. Without it, you're stuck when you've installed the new ubuntu, and can't access your bank. Neither can you pay with credit cards, nor Paypal or similar, because they re-direct you to your Internet bank which depend upon Sun Java to be default, in order for the user to input a number from a code-generator, issued by the banks.

And I know for a fact that far from just Norwegian Internet banks use Sun Java as their default virtual machine! It just denies to work with openjdk.

If you've never emigrated from Windows, I can understand why this type of obvious ignorance exists in the linux-community.

But ubuntu boasts of being the best distribution in the linux family for windows users who want to emigrate. Then selecting out Sun Java -- which also is free, by the way -- with any other open source well-made java-version is devestating.

I know a lot of people in Norway who gave up ubuntu when 10.04 came, because they're Windows-users who want something better and easier. Not more complicated and therefore worse.

So this manual is a life saver to people like me, who wants to promote ubuntu among my friends. But it does, however, make it necessary for me to help them each and everyone manually, and cannot expect them to do any of this by themselves, unfortunately.

So I strongly appeal to who-ever has the responsibility of making the ubuntu distribution, to insert Sun Java as its default virtual machine.

Also make it easier for non-geeks (I'm one of the few pc-geeks I know!) to install Windows-necessities like Adobe Flash and codecs for multimedia, that are restricted.

I remember I found it relieving when copy-and-paste became integrated into Linux, and didn't anymore have to be downloaded and installed seperately, and started manually each time I wanted to use it; so you've come a long way -- it's just a little bit more that needs to be done, before you can save the poor Windows users!

A great idea might be to make an install-box appear the first times you start ubuntu, and confirm each and every installation and preferance; also with mime included, but so that even my mother can do it! (She's 75 and dependent upon her Internet bank; which is what she mainly uses Internet for.)

If you want to save the wretched windows-users over on your side, please make things easier to install and use! Not more geek-dependent-difficult than necessary. Rather not at all, if possible.

But you don't have to let go of any of the geek-stuff, because you also make a graphic user's interface, that will do the same job. And which will prudently ask for a root-password whenever the command-line it feeds into asks for it. Just make a gui that writes all those difficult commands that you otherwise would have to type in manually.

Windows-applications like Tweak-this-and-that (I myself use Tune-Up Utilities) which writes directly to Windows System Registry and make changes to how Windows behave, could be used as a role-model for ubuntu-writers who needs inspiration. With VirutalBox, it is easy to install a downloaded crack from thepiratebay.org or similar places of a current version of Windows to test it in; in order to make something looking similar for ubuntu. Not for the file defragmentation or other os-maintenance-stuff necessarily, but at least scandisk and the installations and tweaks that will make ubuntu as easy to use as Windows. In order to surpass it and thus make it uninteresting to the private market.

For people without any dos- or linux pc-experience, things like this seem like a nightmare to even have to relate to. Since I bought my first pc in 1985, I had to learn dos. And therefore Gnome terminal doesn't seem so scary to me.

After trying for years to emigrate to Linux ubuntu, I must say that I stick with it and learn more, more because of pride than anything.

But if you're not really interested in harvesting frustrated pc-users from Windows' failure, please keep on in ignorant bliss! I won't try to dictate anyone. Just plea!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Absolutely correct, many banks, interactive sites all depend on Sun Java, Azureus runs better on Sun Java, so does Jdownloader etc. For now Open JDK is not the way to go.
    The finding of unity in variety is really what we call knowledge..... Vivekananda.

Beans

Thank you zerwas for this great thread.
    I have done all that you said, but I still get the following message window when I try to log on to my stock trading site:
    This application requires java to be installed/upgraded.
    Installation will start now

If I click on it, it takes me to the sun java website to download java for Linux.
    I have Ubuntu 10.04. I have checked my Sun Java installation as you said in your first post. Everything is installed correctly.
    I have verified it at the link you posted. I have also checked in Firefox plugins to see that it is enabled and it is the latest update.
    I have no other alternatives installed like the "iced tea" or the JDK packages.
    Do you know what I can try next?
    Thank you for your help.
    Last edited by goog64; December 2nd, 2010 at 05:05 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Thank you for your detailed description of the problem. Is the website you experience the problems with publicly available, i.e. could you give me a link to it? (maybe as personal message if you don't want to post it here)

If your Sun Java installation works with other webpages it looks like a site-specific issue. Did you try another browser to rule out a browser problem?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

@zervas:

Sorry for replying so late. I figured I could post this anyway, since I got it to work now. In the meantime I resolved to using my internet bank from my Ubuntu 9.10 32-bit OS.

However today I looked a little more closely (again) at getting the newest Sun Java (1.6.0_23) installed, since another application complained (it still worked, though). I found another list of things-to-type-in-terminal to install it manually. Just downloading "jre-6u23-linux-x64.bin" from Sun java and executing that (with sudo), didn't help (as before).

Anyway, now I have resolved it on my 64-bit Ubuntu 10.04, using a long-ish list. I found the solution on a norwegian forum here (description is copy-pasted from english, unfortunately the poster didn't have the original URL): http://www.ubuntu.no/node/2674#comment-11203

Except that it was for 32-bit (also 64-bit, but that part was left out), but I managed to modify it for 64-bit anyway. Which wasn't that different, basically only for the Mozilla firefox plugin activation. E.G. instead of

For Firefox 3.6 and newer, type (copy/paste):
    ln -s /opt/java/32/jre1.6.0_18/lib/i386/libnpjp2.so ~/.mozilla/plugins/
    I used:
    ln -s /opt/java/64/jre1.6.0_23/lib/amd64/libnpjp2.so ~/.mozilla/plugins/
    As well as having a folder named 64 instead of 32, and the newest java atm.

My internet bank log-in still takes quite some time before showing the log-in applet window, and also requires some clicking in the java applet window to get it to react (also does this on the ubuntu 9.10 32-bit, for Windows I don't remember atm). But it works

As for your questions (I didn't spot them before - sorry!):
    What exactly does it mean that you "can't use" it? Is there any error message while loading the website? If not, what do you get instead? A gray empty field? Did it work with Ubuntu 9.10? Does it still work with other browsers? Depending on your browser, did you have a look into the Java error console and Java log respectively?
    What I ment before, that I couldn't use it on my internet bank, was that I actually could - seemingly - log in, but then I immediately got an error message on the internet bank webpage, stating I should close the browser and log in again (which didn't help of course).

And yes, it did work with Ubuntu 9.10 (32-bit OS on another AMD64 I got). Which browser didn't matter. Probably there was some differences, but none worked anyway. I tried chromium, firefox and Opera. - Usually I use firefox on this machine, and haven't tried the others yet after installing java manually.

And I have no idea where the Java error console or log is, so no, I haven't looked at that.

Before I installed the new java, I had the "1.6.0_22" installed, which the netbank didn't work with. I also have the OpenJDK java installed, just not as default atm.

Beans

Since Aug 2011 there is no longer any Sun/Oracle Java available from Ubuntu. Also not from the partner repo.
    You get the following message:
    Code:
    Package sun-java6-jdk is not available, but is referred to by another package.
    This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
    is only available from another source
    E: Package sun-java6-jdk has no installation candidate
    If you need Sun Java, install it manually or use the duinsoft repo. Both methods are clearly explained at http://www.duinsoft.nl

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Old thread closed.
    Forum Social IRC Channel
    Xubuntu IRC Support
    Xubuntu Support

Please do not PM me about Registration issues without having been asked to. I will tell you to post here

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234