Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Install Sun Java in Ubuntu 10.04 - the easiest way

Beans

Re: HOWTO: Install Sun Java in Ubuntu 10.04 - the easiest way

Thanks for your tutorial that works fine for 1.6.0_20 release that is the Lucid repositories, but I need to install 1.6.0_07 because my Oracle eBS application server *needs* clients to connect with exactly that release...

Any idea how I can force installation through repositories of a specific version of the JRE and plugins?

THANKS!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by pascar View Post
    Thanks for your tutorial that works fine for 1.6.0_20 release that is the Lucid repositories, but I need to install 1.6.0_07 because my Oracle eBS application server *needs* clients to connect with exactly that release...

Any idea how I can force installation through repositories of a specific version of the JRE and plugins?

THANKS!
    In that case you have to install it manually via the bin file, the methods are outlined here on the forum.
    The finding of unity in variety is really what we call knowledge..... Vivekananda.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Hi, zerwas and everyone else. I'm having trouble in step1.

When I click and confirm "Reload", Ubuntu can't install files from 19 until the last one. It seems it's trying to get files from "http://br.archive.ubuntu.com lucid", problably because I'm from Brazil. What should I do?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Greetings to Brazil,

Quote Originally Posted by pedlazcar View Post
    It seems it's trying to get files from "http://br.archive.ubuntu.com lucid", problably because I'm from Brazil
    It looks like the brazilian Ubuntu mirror is down right now. One option for you is to wait for the server to come back. Or you can switch to another server

1. by going to System -> Administration -> Software Sources.
    2. In the tab "Ubuntu Software" you can see a dropbown menu "Download from: Server for Brazil". Click on it, choose "other", click on "Select Best Server" and wait a minute for it to test all servers.
    3. Now just click "Choose Server", close the window and you will be asked if you want to reload again.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Greetings to Brazil,
    Hallo, Deutschland! (no google translator, hehe)

It looks like the brazilian Ubuntu mirror is down right now. One option for you is to wait for the server to come back. Or you can switch to another server

1. by going to System -> Administration -> Software Sources.
    2. In the tab "Ubuntu Software" you can see a dropbown menu "Download from: Server for Brazil". Click on it, choose "other", click on "Select Best Server" and wait a minute for it to test all servers.
    3. Now just click "Choose Server", close the window and you will be asked if you want to reload again.
    zerwas, it worked fine. With a little help from Argentina (the best server at the moment), I managed to install JavaSun and Frostwire (which was the reason I was looking for a tutorial like yours). Anyway, many thanks!

Beans

This isn't working for me. When I click on Sun Java 6.0 Plugin in the Software Center it gives me the following message:

To show information about this item, the software catalog needs updating.

Canonical does not provide updates for Sun Java 6.0 Plugin. Some updates may be provided by the Ubuntu community.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Newark_Wilder View Post
    This isn't working for me. When I click on Sun Java 6.0 Plugin in the Software Center it gives me the following message:
    It should also give you a button "Update now" which you should click. If you don't see that button, could you show us a screenshot?

You can also try to execute this command in Terminal (and have a look if it finishes without errors):

Code:
    sudo apt-get update

Beans

it doesn't give me an "update now" button. I used that command line in terminal and it seemed to work meaning there were no error messages or anything but when i tried to run the software center again i got the same results with sun java 6.0.

i'm attaching a screenshot.

[IMG]file:///tmp/moz-screenshot.png[/IMG]

Beans
    Distro

Thank you very much for your reply. Are you sure the partner repository is activated (step 1 in my tutorial)?
    When you do the command sudo apt-get update, you should also see a line that has the word "partner" in it.

It sounds just like this launchpad entry.

Beans

yeah i followed step 1 in the tutorial. when i run that command in terminal the partner line does show up as well. here's another screen shot of my "software sources" dialog box:

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast