Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Install Sun Java in Ubuntu 10.04 - the easiest way

Beans

Re: HOWTO: Install Sun Java in Ubuntu 10.04 - the easiest way

if you have similiar error (onlu one plugin in firefox, icedtea or sun-java) please, add comment to my bug. to show mozilla that i'm not the only one.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

so having both sun java and openjdk would not cause any problems?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

thanks a lot
    --------------------------------------------
    I want to get away from social networking badly.
    --------------------------------------------

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by thahir1986 View Post
    thanks a lot
    Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by soldier1st View Post
    so having both sun java and openjdk would not cause any problems?
    No, usually everything should work fine with several Java implementations installed parallel.
    Quote Originally Posted by bogaczew View Post
    if you have similiar error (onlu one plugin in firefox, icedtea or sun-java) please, add comment to my bug. to show mozilla that i'm not the only one.
    I think your bug report will be marked as WONTFIX because the operating system is processing this. The most elegant way to secify which Java plugin browsers should use is (to select the version manually):
    Code:
    sudo update-alternatives --config mozilla-javaplugin.so
    To tell Ubuntu to use OpenJDK for your browser by default, execute
    Code:
    sudo update-alternatives --set mozilla-javaplugin.so /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-openjdk/jre/lib/$(dpkg --print-architecture)/IcedTeaPlugin.so
    I added this to the tutorial.
    Last edited by zerwas; July 15th, 2010 at 08:20 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

@zerwas:

Thank you!!

I was turning crazy, trying lots of things and following long lists of instructions, to no avail. I was about to give java up. Then I discovered your 2-point list

But, on my ubuntu 10.04 64-bit, it seems to partialy work? I'm not sure, according to the sun java test it works. But I can't use my internet bank, which uses java, so I dont know for sure what the issue is. It seems to work except for that. Maybe it's got to do with the fact that Ubuntu 10.05 64-bit got java 6 update 18, while ubuntu 9.10 32-bit got java 6 update 20?

In addition your instructions also worked perfectly on my ubuntu 9.10 32-bit

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by zerwas View Post
    .I think your bug report will be marked as WONTFIX because the operating system is processing this. The most elegant way to secify which Java plugin browsers should use is (to select the version manually):
    Code:
    sudo update-alternatives --config mozilla-javaplugin.so
    yes, I just figurd it out, and added in comment to my bug. think it will be closed now.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by coilwinder View Post
    @zerwas:
    Thank you for your nice words.

Regarding your bank issues, i would need more information in order to be able to get down to the cause of your problem.

That is: What exactly does it mean that you "can't use" it? Is there any error message while loading the website? If not, what do you get instead? A gray empty field? Did it work with Ubuntu 9.10? Does it still work with other browsers? Depending on your browser, did you have a look into the Java error console and Java log respectively? (but before you start to answer all those questions, have a look at the command at the bottom of this posting)

Maybe you should better start a new thread to describe this problem exactly if it is urgent.

Maybe it's got to do with the fact that Ubuntu 10.05 64-bit got java 6 update 18, while ubuntu 9.10 32-bit got java 6 update 20?
    That's possible. But: In Ubuntu 10.04 you should also get the latest version, which is "update 20" at the moment. Maybe you already have an old version of Java installed on this system by following other (outdated) tutorials.

You should check the output of this command in the terminal and see if the correct Java version is set:
    Code:
    sudo update-alternative --config java

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Thanks a lot for the tutorial.

Beans

Checked out you video on youtube... was that text to speech or was it your voice? Sorry I just thought that 99.9% of ubuntu users are male...

Very helpful post, thanks!
    Domain and Hosting: http://www.biztoe.net
    Website Development: http://www.biztoe.com

Beans
    Distro

Thanks for your feedback, Searock and edmondt

Quote Originally Posted by edmondt View Post
    Checked out you video on youtube... was that text to speech or was it your voice? Sorry I just thought that 99.9% of ubuntu users are male...
    I already used text-to-speech for other videos but it didn't turn out so well. But in this video it's a real woman . It was a german IRC friend of mine who did it for me (ubuntu philosophy at its best). I think there was a time where you would be right with your guess of 99.9% male ubuntu users ... like in 2004. But as Ubuntu becomes more popular (and more beautiful), more and more women are using it, too. One good example is Nixie Pixel.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast