Thread: Extract ISO with low disk space.

Beans

Post Extract ISO with low disk space.

Hi, First post here. I've done a lot of searching but can't find anything like this.

I've got a slicehost VPS with 10GB disk space, and I'm trying to extract a 6.4gb ISO file. Between the ISO and the OS i've got just 761MB to play with. Is there anyway to extract files from within the ISO without needing another 6.4gb?

I've tried mounting the ISO as read/write so I could move files instead of copy, but did not have any luck. See here and here.

Should I just give up, download the iso, then re-upload the files? 6.4gb represents a long time over dsl.

Thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Extract ISO with low disk space.

burn the iso to a DVD then copy the files off?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by zmpeg View Post
    Hi, First post here. I've done a lot of searching but can't find anything like this.

I've got a slicehost VPS with 10GB disk space, and I'm trying to extract a 6.4gb ISO file. Between the ISO and the OS i've got just 761MB to play with. Is there anyway to extract files from within the ISO without needing another 6.4gb?
    You will need at least 6.4 Gb and probably more space then that.

I've tried mounting the ISO as read/write so I could move files instead of copy, but did not have any luck. See here and here.
    Those threads are old, are they your threads ?

Should I just give up, download the iso, then re-upload the files? 6.4gb represents a long time over dsl.

Thanks.
    What is it exactly you are wanting to modify on the iso image ?
    There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth...not going all the way, and not starting.
    --Prince Gautama Siddharta

#ubuntuforums web interface

Beans

Hi, Thanks for your help.

Those are not my threads (found on Google). I was thinking I could move the files out of the ISO image, thereby decreasing the size of the ISO while writing to disc.

The ISO is Call of Duty 4. The end goal is to setup a server. To install the server, you need some files off the disc (/Setup/Data) and some files from the internet. I've uploaded the disc. But now hit this wall. I'd rather not repeat uploading the actual files (which I should have done off the bat).

UPDATE: I should probably mention I own the game, but because my DSL line tops out at 50KB/Sec upload I used a torrent to get it to the VPS, which D/L'd at over 1MB/Sec.
    Last edited by zmpeg; June 26th, 2010 at 02:07 AM. Reason: clarify reason for uploading ISO

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by dasy2k1 View Post
    burn the iso to a DVD then copy the files off?
    That's not the issue.. I could mount the ISO and copy the files, saving a DVD.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I've tried mounting the ISO as read/write so I could move files instead of copy, but did not have any luck.
    There is no point mounting ISOs as RW, as they are embedded images that need to be specifically created.

ISOs are automatically available to be used by the Archive Manager so there is no need to "mount" anything if you want to extract files from them.
    Regards, David.
    Please use the Forum search and Wiki search for immediate help
    Please mark your thread as Solved when appropriate
    New to technical forums?: How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by dcstar View Post
    There is no point mounting ISOs as RW, as they are embedded images that need to be specifically created.

ISOs are automatically available to be used by the Archive Manager so there is no need to "mount" anything if you want to extract files from them.
    Thanks for explaining ISOs. Part of the problem is this is Ubuntu Server VPS, I don't have a window manager.. CLI only.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Mount the ISO on hour home computer, and upload the individual files you need. That's probably the only way.
    「明後日の夕方には帰ってるからね。」

Beans

Eh, I was hoping to avoid that. Oh well.

Thanks everyone.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Thanks for explaining ISOs. Part of the problem is this is Ubuntu Server VPS, I don't have a window manager.. CLI only.
    Then you can mount the ISO using the "loop" option and then extract whatever you need:

http://www.ubuntugeek.com/mount-and-...ning-them.html
    Last edited by dcstar; June 26th, 2010 at 06:32 AM.
    Regards, David.
    Please use the Forum search and Wiki search for immediate help
    Please mark your thread as Solved when appropriate
    New to technical forums?: How To Ask Questions The Smart Way