View Poll Results: Do you prefer to avoid proprietary drivers at the expense of functionality?

Voters
176. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, even if I cant watch DVDs I sleep better knowing I dont have the codecs for it.

17 9.66%
  • I prefer open source software, but still think it should be included if there isnt an alternative.

159 90.34%
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you strongly prefer for your OS to lack proprietary software....

Re: Do you strongly prefer for your OS to lack proprietary software....

Quote Originally Posted by new_tolinux View Post
    Afaik the idea behind Ubuntu was that the ISO's are fully open-source and fit on a CD.
    Since the license require the source to be shipped with the programs, there's less space to use of that CD
    That means that any *buntu version probably lacks a lot. Even a lot of free OSS software. Just because the limitations that are set.

So if "it is not shipped by default" is the whole issue, your question seems the wrong question, since many things have to be downloaded seperately (both OSS and non-OSS).

Not really.

I read in Ubuntu Unleashed that Ubuntu takes a middle of the road approach and does include some proprietary software (and copywritten, ect), but they give open source the preference....I just noticed that some very important ones are missing even without suitable alternatives.

I think the best solution would be if the restricted extras included Medibuntu and not just what is currently in there, and then Ubuntu is off the hook.

Everyone who wants to watch DVDs installs medibuntu anyway, and its rediculous that people should have to pay for the right to use their hardware for what they want to use it for........but lets make it just a little easier for the noobs.

Ubuntu is already not fully open source.

It should at least be included in the DVD, or ask you if you want to install it when you get to an Internet connection.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Nick_Jinn View Post
    Everyone who wants to watch DVDs installs medibuntu anyway, and its rediculous that people should have to pay for the right to use their hardware for what they want to use it for........but lets make it just a little easier for the noobs.
    It should at least be included in the DVD, or ask you if you want to install it when you get to an Internet connection.
    I guess the DVD has in a way the same limitations as the CD. You can only use the space once, so you'll have to choose. Many things are offered in the repositories and that should be sufficient.
    I think that the days of 10-cd distributions are over. At least a reasonable part of the world has an internet connection which is sufficient to download the ubuntu-restricted-extras and some other common used parts.

It can be asked for, but if it was asked for, the complaints about "installing bloat" would be infinite. Besides that, almost every beginner-tutorial on how-to-install-ubuntu mentions at least the ubuntu-restricted-extras. Ofcourse, some include program x, others include program y, etc. As some said before: Google is your friend.
    I don't want to discuss the pro's/con's of Google here, just use whatever search engine you think fits your needs to find out how you can accomplish the task of making your system work the way you want. If you're unable to use a search engine properly, you're almost certainly also unable to run linux. No matter what distribution/flavour you use.

Beans
    Hidden!

You forgot the options "Source availability is not a concern. I will use whatever works best".

As for DVD codecs being proprietary, they're not. They're encumbered by patents.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick_Jinn View Post
    I am more concerned about others who are new and get frustrated, because I really want Ubuntu and Linux to take its rightful place ahead of Windows.
    Ubuntu and Linux will take its place ahead of Windows when general consensus holds Linux and Ubuntu higher than Windows in their own goals.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

There's no "I don't prefer open source drivers" option. I prefer what works and I don't care if it's proprietary.
    My main system: AMD Athlon 64 X2 3.1Ghz, Nvidia 8800GT, 4GB RAM, Debian Lenny/Windows 7 dual-boot. My laptop (Compaq C700): Intel Celeron 1.7Ghz, Intel X3100, 1GB RAM, Ubuntu Lucid.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I don't have moral issues with proprietary software and drivers. I like the fact that things are free (libre) and I always go to those first. Thing is, I'm comfortable using ATI's driver so I just went with that. It's really no big deal for me.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I think my sig may answer this question.
    Proud GNU/Linux zealot and lover of penguins
    "Value your freedom or you will lose it, teaches history." --Richard Stallman

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by KingYaba View Post
    I don't have moral issues with proprietary software and drivers. I like the fact that things are free (libre) and I always go to those first. Thing is, I'm comfortable using ATI's driver so I just went with that. It's really no big deal for me.
    To me it's on the edge between good and bad. Meaning I try to stay away unless I see something really nice
    "Meddle not with roos; thou art crunchy and grasshopper-like" ※The SABRFL※

Last edited by ubunterooster; 1 Minute ago

Beans

I use Trisquel GNU/Linux (basically ubuntu but all proprietary software stripped out) because I want to only use free software. To me proprietary software isn't worth what I would lose by using it.
    Support Software Freedom
    I use Trisquel GNU/Linux

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by SirGrant View Post
    I use Trisquel GNU/Linux (basically ubuntu but all proprietary software stripped out) because I want to only use free software. To me proprietary software isn't worth what I would lose by using it.
    Agreed, I lose a lot by getting proper 3D support from my graphics card.
    Code:
    while true; do echo -n "RiceMonster "; done
    Best thread ever

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by SirGrant View Post
    To me proprietary software isn't worth what I would lose by using it.
    What do you lose. In most cases their is much gained.
    1. I lose nothing using Nvidia's proprietary driver.
    2. I lose nothing installing codecs for audio/video playback.
    3. I lose nothing applications built using Mono or Qt.
    4. I lose nothing using Adobe Flash and Acrobat.
    5. I lose nothing using HP proprietary printer drivers.

The list goes on but I'm now bored.

I use what works the best. If its available freely I will use it. If things like DVD and MP3 playback were such sore subjects DRM technology would have fully replaced them if the industry really cared. If I buy a DVD I have the right to watch it. If I buy a song in MP3 format I have the right to listen to it.
    Last night I lay in bed looking up at the stars in the sky and I thought to myself, where the heck is the ceiling.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast