View Poll Results: Do you prefer to avoid proprietary drivers at the expense of functionality?

Voters
176. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, even if I cant watch DVDs I sleep better knowing I dont have the codecs for it.

17 9.66%
  • I prefer open source software, but still think it should be included if there isnt an alternative.

159 90.34%
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you strongly prefer for your OS to lack proprietary software....

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I Prefer Proprietary Drivers

The only difference I see between the open source drivers and the propriety drivers is that the propriety drivers work better. There doesn't seem to be an 'I prefer proprietary drivers' option. As for why Ubuntu doesn't include some proprietary drivers on the CD - it's because of legal issues.

Another point: Using FOSS and supporting FOSS are two separate things. Using FOSS drivers does not help FOSS.
    Last edited by Penguin Guy; June 25th, 2010 at 09:23 PM.

Beans

Re: Do you strongly prefer for your OS to lack proprietary software....

Ask your question at the Fedora Forums and I'm sure you will get one common answer lol
    - "Make me a coffee..."
    - "No"
    - "sudo make me a coffee"
    - "OK"

Beans

Personally I am not fully in the ' prefer open though use what works' camp, but I reserve the right to selectively pull in my own choice of proprietary tools on top of my open kernel and base user space. Though I will say I would choose something like Gimp over Photoshop in any situation regardless of price. If Gimp was not sufficient to my needs, I would spend the money I would use on a photoshop license to fund the development of the features I need in gimp. That way I help everyone.

That isnt the question. (kdot)

When I said proprietary, I also mean copywritten open source. Anything that has limitations or obligations of any kind.

But there just isnt a suitable open source alternative for some things, and yet the proprietary alternatives are not included.

Perhaps if Medibuntu could be installed as easily as sound card drivers or as easily as the "restricted extras" it could be a bit easier on noobs migrating from windows....lack of support for simple simple stuff like watching DVDs chases some people away, even though you can totally do it in Ubuntu.

The real issue here is when Ubuntu lacks drivers even when there isnt a suitable alternative.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Nick_Jinn View Post
    Cool.

Ubuntu isnt US based either, is it? I thought it was developed (or at least funded) by a wealthy African Business man.

It should be easy enough to release it from any country you want.

Making it a little easier to watch DVDs doesnt seem like it should be as difficult.
    Ubuntu != Mint

Mint is a small distro, and what's more, Americans aren't *supposed* to download it. Mint offers a Universal Edition for those that live in countries with software patents, and it omits those codecs.

Ubuntu aims to be a mainstream operating system. That means Canonical would be smart not to break international laws or rules of any sort.

Beans
    Hidden!

I use what the better option is, be it proprietary or open source.
    Code:
    while true; do echo -n "RiceMonster "; done
    Best thread ever

I have no problems watching DVDs personally, but I have had the patience to stick around and learn a few beginners tricks.

I am more concerned about others who are new and get frustrated, because I really want Ubuntu and Linux to take its rightful place ahead of Windows.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

But there just isnt a suitable open source alternative for some things, and yet the proprietary alternatives are not included
    The real issue here is when Ubuntu lacks drivers even when there isnt a suitable alternative.
    Afaik the idea behind Ubuntu was that the ISO's are fully open-source and fit on a CD.
    Since the license require the source to be shipped with the programs, there's less space to use of that CD
    That means that any *buntu version probably lacks a lot. Even a lot of free OSS software. Just because the limitations that are set.

So if "it is not shipped by default" is the whole issue, your question seems the wrong question, since many things have to be downloaded seperately (both OSS and non-OSS).

Quote Originally Posted by BlackOtaku View Post
    Ubuntu != Mint

Mint is a small distro, and what's more, Americans aren't *supposed* to download it. Mint offers a Universal Edition for those that live in countries with software patents, and it omits those codecs.

Ubuntu aims to be a mainstream operating system. That means Canonical would be smart not to break international laws or rules of any sort.

Mint is Ubuntu with some minor tweaks. They have a few unique tools....but I prefer Ubuntu for a few reasons like support for Ubuntu One, but I tell noobs to install Mint instead.

And I am not much of a stickler for the law, but if that is really a problem, how about just making it easier to install?

When the computer asks if you would like to install restricted extras, how about asking if you want Medibuntu? A simple yes/no will take care of the whole thing, and Ubuntu isnt responsible if people inside the US choose to download it, and it didnt come preinstalled but its also not going to chase away noobs?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

When I said proprietary, I also mean copywritten open source. Anything that has limitations or obligations of any kind.
    The GPL is a type of copyright and has limitations and obligations, yet most FOSS programs are licensed under it. Are you saying that most FOSS programs are proprietary?

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast