Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Video Card Driver Statuses

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Video Card Driver Statuses

Quote Originally Posted by konqueror7 View Post
    after a little research on both cards, NVIDIA had the better FPS rate and performance overall, so investing extra 40€ would be okay...

maybe i'll try ATI next time on a desktop rather than on a notebook...
    I see that the ATI card system has a core i3 , thats much more efficient than a core 2 duo as far as i know with shared l3 cache etc and a 32 nm manufacturing process.

On top of that , its cheaper than the Nvidia.Why would you go for the more expensive one ? Game performance is better for some games on nvidia and favours ATI for some.But i think you have to look more into other features too since its a laptop.Also the ATI one has a smaller HDD so you decide.

For graphics card recommendations , i follow this chart http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...deon,2646.html

Its a very good series and i have always used it to buy my cards,Some 4 years ago i got an nvidia 7600 GT, and after recent reading i got an ATI 4850.

But today, it doesnt make much sense to buy Nvidia since ATI offer similar performance at a lower price.

Those charts are for desktops but you will have a rough idea from them, also in the end there is a huge list of comparable cards which includes mobile chipsets also.
    Also final thoughts, since this is a laptop ,i would recommend getting a nice big screen and some good inbuilt speakers.
    Last edited by rajeev1204; June 30th, 2010 at 04:31 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Video Card Driver Statuses

Quote Originally Posted by rajeev1204 View Post
    I see that the ATI card system has a core i3 , thats much more efficient than a core 2 duo as far as i know with shared l3 cache etc and a 32 nm manufacturing process.

On top of that , its cheaper than the Nvidia.Why would you go for the more expensive one ? Game performance is better for some games on nvidia and favours ATI for some.But i think you have to look more into other features too since its a laptop.Also the ATI one has a smaller HDD so you decide.

For graphics card recommendations , i follow this chart http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...deon,2646.html

Its a very good series and i have always used it to buy my cards,Some 4 years ago i got an nvidia 7600 GT, and after recent reading i got an ATI 4850.

But today, it doesnt make much sense to buy Nvidia since ATI offer similar performance at a lower price.

Those charts are for desktops but you will have a rough idea from them, also in the end there is a huge list of comparable cards which includes mobile chipsets also.
    Also final thoughts, since this is a laptop ,i would recommend getting a nice big screen and some good inbuilt speakers.
    yeah, its cheaper. i just seem to be inclining to the nvidia one, because i have a copy of crysis and f.e.a.r. and would really like to play them too.

i did a little more research, and found a really good ati card, better than the nvidia one, ATI Radeon Mobility HF 4650, which, only that the laptop is cheaper.

HP Pavillion dv6-2115eg

the good thing is, it's upgradable up to 8gb...

nah, i don't like big screens. also i already have a laptop backback, so it would be a waste if it doesn't fit, maximum is 16"...

thanks for guiding me through.
    There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so. - W. Shakespeare

Linux User #484611 | Ubuntu User #26153 | Blog

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234