Thread: cannot create msn account in empathy ubuntu 10.04

Beans

cannot create msn account in empathy ubuntu 10.04

So im am trying to add my msn account to empathy. First open the "Messaging and VoIP Accounts" window. Then click "add" and enter in the details of an existing (but new to empathy) msn account. The "Log in" button becomes ungrayed but when I click it nothing happens. I can hear the computer do some processing for about a second but nothing else. The only other options are to close or cancel both of which discards the new account.

I keep thinking I am entering in the wrong account information but shouldn't I get an error saying that?

Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: cannot create msn account in empathy ubuntu 10.04

The only parameters I needed for MSN was to select MSN, the email address I registered on MSN with and my password. Believe it or not Microsoft let me use my Gmail address. Entering any advanced parameters wasn't required. The same process worked for AIM and Gtalk.
    Thank a veteran -- George 8)
    Internet Coach & Writer
    Personal Blog -- 3 Joes' Blog

Beans

The same process worked for AIM, Gtalk, facebook and in the past has worked for MSN. Now for some reason it is not on my computer. Seems more and more like i am doing something wrong. I also use my gmail address with msn.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I just starting using Empathy with this release of Ubuntu so I don't have a lot of experience with it. I would say that it appears that MSN either won't accept your login or is down when you tried. In the past I did on occasion have to retry MSN login to get a connect and occasionally MSN would disconnect for me. Never had any strange activity with the others.

Open the Messaging and VOIP Accounts and select your MSN account. The current status will be shown and should be "Available" and checked Enabled. Uncheck Eabled and check on again. This will cause Empathy to reconnect.
    Thank a veteran -- George 8)
    Internet Coach & Writer
    Personal Blog -- 3 Joes' Blog

Beans

I cannot select the msn account because it is never saved. As soon as I close the "Messaging and VoIP Accounts" window it says my account has not been saved yet and the info is lost.

To be sure I just checked the msn account with another client and it is an active account.

It does not appear to ever try to connect.

Beans

wow thats wierd. I was getting frustrated so I clicked the "Log in" button about 10 times in a row and it finally connected. This means my account information is saved and it should autoconnect when I open empathy like all my other accounts. I have no idea why it would work after a bunch of clicks and not the first one but as it works now I am not going to ask more questions. Thank you.