Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu 10.04 iPhone iOS 4 Support?

Beans

Ubuntu 10.04 iPhone iOS 4 Support?

Hi,

Does anyone know if Ubuntu 10.04 will work with the iPhone's iOS 4?

Currently, I am able to transfer photos and music to my phone out-of-the-box with Ubuntu. I need to upgrade my iPhone's OS but don't want to break compatibility with Ubuntu.

Thanks,

RS

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Ubuntu 10.04 iPhone iOS 4 Support?

I have never tried to connect my iPhone 3GS to my Lucid, but I just did and it worked - iPhone 3GS running iOS 4.0 GM.

Beans

Thanks!

Please could you confirm exactly which features are ok, i.e. whether it works in Rhythmbox for transferring music and also browsing/transferring photos.

RS

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by eatmytag View Post
    I have never tried to connect my iPhone 3GS to my Lucid, but I just did and it worked - iPhone 3GS running iOS 4.0 GM.
    I was using ipheth USB internet tethering on OS 3.1.3 on 10.04. I was worried I would break iphone internet tethering but really wanted to upgrade to IOS 4. Imagine my joy when I discovered iphone internet tethering DOES WORK perfectly in IOS 4.

I can access my photos too.

However when I tried to use Rhythmbox it does NOT work. In Rhythmbox I could view the music on my iphone, but when I tried to transfer music over to the iphone I received a bus error.

Its possible the iphone library used to connect the iphone needs some updates to get music working again.

http://www.libimobiledevice.org/

http://blog.sukimashita.com/2010/06/...nc-with-linux/

It says that music syncing is broken right now but will be fixed soon.

Not sure.
    Last edited by BishopPell; June 24th, 2010 at 11:40 AM.

Beans

Thanks very much.

Those interested can read more at the Blog post:

If you want music sync. with iOS 4 then you're best to wait until a fix is released.

RS

Beans

I had the same bus error with iOS4 and needed to install GTKPOD and LIBGPOD4 from the package manager to get audio syncing to work with Rhythmbox again. It now works flawlessly for me at least.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

try plugging in your iPhone, wait for it to fully mount and appear in Rhythmbox and then close and restart Rhythmbox. That worked for me. Make sure to completely close the application not just click close and have it minimize to your tray. Right click on the tray icon and select <Quit> and then reopen it from the gnome panel or how ever you like to start applications.

I have a 3G running iOS 4.0 and it is syncing "ok" with Rhythmbox. It will sync an album or two just fine but when I tried to sync a 9 gig play-list to it, not only did it take 5 hours to transfer but the iPhone also refused to see the music.

So I would say sync is working with 4.0 but there seems to be some issues.

Quote Originally Posted by BishopPell View Post
    I was using ipheth USB internet tethering on OS 3.1.3 on 10.04. I was worried I would break iphone internet tethering but really wanted to upgrade to IOS 4. Imagine my joy when I discovered iphone internet tethering DOES WORK perfectly in IOS 4.

I can access my photos too.

However when I tried to use Rhythmbox it does NOT work. In Rhythmbox I could view the music on my iphone, but when I tried to transfer music over to the iphone I received a bus error.

Its possible the iphone library used to connect the iphone needs some updates to get music working again.

http://www.libimobiledevice.org/

It says that music syncing is broken right now but will be fixed soon.

Not sure.
    Free speech is the most important aspect of a liberated society.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I bought an iPhone 3GS today with the iOS4 already installed. I clicked on rhythmbox to start adding music, but it asks if I want to initialize my iPod? I click on initialize after naming it, but nothing happens. The drop down menu for me to click on the model is greyed out...help!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

any other help?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I don't know if this will be help to anyone, but I went in to iTunes via Windows and did a back up of my phone, and then a full restore to original factory settings. Then I upgraded to the iOS4 firmware and then re-installed the phone from the backup I made, all within iTunes. Finally, I re-registered my phone, complete with name for the phone and everything.

I then went in to Ubuntu and connected my iPhone with iOS4 and it recognized it immediately. I went in to Rhythmbox and again, it recognized my phone immediately. Now I have full access to my music on my phone and can happily transfer music in to and out of my iPhone! It works like a dream now!

So, hopefully this will help out those of you still having problems....

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast