Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: how to get rid of windows virus from ubuntu?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Question how to get rid of windows virus from ubuntu?

my windows is infected with some kind of malware. this is what happens:

Whenever i search something on yahoo, google, bing _ if a click on a search result, instead of taking me to the linked webpage, i get redirected to some random advertising website. I can access the search result pages if i left click > copy the link and paste it in a separate navigation bar. I have AVG AnitiVirus 9 updated. I tried IE, Chrome, Firefox, Safari, Opera - same thing happens to all. Also: I cannot go to some antivirus websites, for example: AVG.com or TrendMicro's official website. But i can access them via proxy.

What i tried: I ran scans using my AVG, NOTHING. Then i looked up forums where i saw people with the same problem got rid of it using a program called Trojan Remover. Than, i had to download it using proxy and ran a scan. The scan showed 2 DNS-something trojan that "redirects you to malicious webpages instead of the linked ones". So, i removed them and restarted my pc. No sh*t happened.

Fortunately i had ubuntu dual booting and on ubuntu i am not facing that problem. I heard that you can remove windows viruses using ubuntu. How can i get rid of my one?

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: how to get rid of windows virus from ubuntu?

You might want to check out the free Linux-based AVG rescue CD
    http://www.avg.com/us-en/avg-rescue-cd
    Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Please use CODE tags
    Including your email address in a post is not recommended
    My Blog

Beans

Hey,
    My mother had the same issue on her windows machine. It is often referred to as the "Google Redirect Virus" but obviously is not purely just with Google.

Anyways, I managed to solve it by running a program called Hitman Pro

You can download it for free from cnet HERE

It is safe, does not contain a virus/malware etc

Just install it, run it, then follow the instructions to removed the infection. I think a reboot is required after.

Good luck, report back if you can

[Edit]
    Do this in Windows
    - "Make me a coffee..."
    - "No"
    - "sudo make me a coffee"
    - "OK"

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by lisati View Post
    You might want to check out the free Linux-based AVG rescue CD
    http://www.avg.com/us-en/avg-rescue-cd
    Why? I just want to get rid of a simple infection not recover my whole system

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by KdotJ View Post
    Hey,
    My mother had the same issue on her windows machine. It is often referred to as the "Google Redirect Virus" but obviously is not purely just with Google.

Anyways, I managed to solve it by running a program called Hitman Pro

You can download it for free from cnet HERE

It is safe, does not contain a virus/malware etc

Just install it, run it, then follow the instructions to removed the infection. I think a reboot is required after.

Good luck, report back if you can

[Edit]
    Do this in Windows
    wow man thanks a lot!! im going to try that. Does it also get rid of the fake antivirus malware? you know, the one that stops opening any .exe and accessing Internet unless you "buy" the "pro" version of a "antivirus"

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Depending on what web browser you are using just clear the cache and history and stuff. Sometimes a virus can be inadvertently stuck in there. If it is a windows machine you are using I recommend CCleaner. If its Ubuntu I recommend Bleachbit.
    This spot is for sale.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by sb5551 View Post
    Depending on what web browser you are using just clear the cache and history and stuff. Sometimes a virus can be inadvertently stuck in there. If it is a windows machine you are using I recommend CCleaner. If its Ubuntu I recommend Bleachbit.
    No, that does not work. i used YourUninstaller Pro to clean internet traces and delete temp files. Than i used tuneup utilities to completely clean and defragment the windows registry. After than manually cleared firefox's browsing data. Absolutely NOTHING happened.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by fremantle View Post
    wow man thanks a lot!! im going to try that. Does it also get rid of the fake antivirus malware? you know, the one that stops opening any .exe and accessing Internet unless you "buy" the "pro" version of a "antivirus"
    I'm not sure what else it will pick up, but it should sort your problem out. I tried everything on my mum's machine (empting cache etc), but this worked.
    - "Make me a coffee..."
    - "No"
    - "sudo make me a coffee"
    - "OK"

Beans

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Install the FireFox Add-On "Redirect Cleaner", make sure it is enabled and see how you go.
    Ubuntu User 23142 | Wiki | Laptop | HowTo:Create a background slideshow and Screensaver | Reconditioning pre-loved PCs and installing Ubuntu to give away to good homes.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast