Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What is the oldest working computer that you own?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: What is the oldest working computer that you own?

I posted this thread asking the forum what to do with my 15-year-old laptop.

I am probably going to put some blueflops or Basic Linux 3.5 of there...I saw here Yellow Spore Linux or something like that, got to look at that.

Though some of these machines...holee crow those are old.
    "I use a Unix based OS, therefore I get laid about as often as I reboot."

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

I have an old Compaq up in storage that should still run that has Win98 on it.
    - Stay Gold

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

The oldest running computer system I have: Amiga 500 rev 5a. Oldest non-running is a TRS-80.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

C64 (C) with a genuine 1541 (C) floppy slacker. Too bad I don't own a TV, would be great waiting all day to play 5 minutes continuously until the next floppy switch.

Law of the West - possibly the greatest game of all time.

Beans

lenovo laptop, cannot remind its detail type

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

Talking Re: What is the oldest working computer that you own?

The oldest running computer I own is an Amstrad PCW. Black and green monochrome screen, internal speaker for sound and a 3" floppy drive (yes, three inches, not three and a half!). Later on, my father bought a mouse and a printer for it, and he was using "graphical" softwares on it to create covers or simple drawings for documents.

As a child, I loved it because of games like Batman!

One day, it stopped working and my dad needed a computer to keep working, so he bought a 486SX33.

But nostalgia kept me aware, and a few years later, I discovered the problem came from the floppy drive (there was no hard drive inside, so everything had to be loaded through the floppy, even the OS!), and I tried to find a new one to buy... and I met a guy who explained me how to fix my current floppy drive with a piece of rubber!

Yes, back then, computers were a bit like car mechanics, you could still repair them without having to change everything

Since then, it works like a charm, but to be honest I don't use it very often (especially now it's stored at my mother's, something like 10000km away from where I'm currently working!).

I'm not sure if Amstrad every sold any computer in the US, though (I'm from France, and Amstrad was a British brand)...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by K.Mandla View Post
    Any chance you could show a picture of that? Inquiring minds want to know.
    First pic is the machine I started by business with in the back of an upholstery shop in 1993.
    It has XYZ resolution of 1 micron, but can interpolate to a 1/2.

Next, the 8" Z-80 that processes it's output. It has a custom O/S and BIOS, with 64k of RAM. The discs hold the operating system and application software, and hold 1.1 meg.

Next is the Zeos 80486DX-33. This was a VERY advanced computer in it's day. Dual fans, 8 bays, 486 Daughterboard, 7 ISA slots. Bios date 1989. I bought the first month they came out, and fully loaded systems were $8,000+. I got the "stripper" instead. Just the 486 CPU sold for $1100 back then. 16mb of RAM was $1600. That single speed CDROM (no writing back then), was about $450. It has been run pretty much every single day since purchased. I probably have spent $5000 on it by the time I was finished.

It's running an app I wrote under W3.11, but had DOS with it when bought.

Next is it's "brother" with my guy Brian running it with 250x Video Microscope attachment active. Normally these have synthetic ruby-tipped touch probes made by Renishaw. It has an IBM desktop hooked up to it. It's a Pentium? I forget. Win3.11.

Last pic is a "backup" computer that was taken off line. It's a Microchannel PS2 286? Really freaking rare now. Microchannel was the most advanced bus design for the first 10 years of PCs, but never caught on. IBM wanted it proprietary so it died. A lesson that has implications today.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Patrick McSwain - New 32bit & 64bit Ubuntu 10.04 user as of 5/1/2010.
    Networking new Linux computers into my existing Wintel-based small technical business.
    I was a DOS programmer in a previous life. No UNIX/Linux experience at all.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

ignore
    Last edited by McRat; June 24th, 2010 at 04:50 PM.
    Patrick McSwain - New 32bit & 64bit Ubuntu 10.04 user as of 5/1/2010.
    Networking new Linux computers into my existing Wintel-based small technical business.
    I was a DOS programmer in a previous life. No UNIX/Linux experience at all.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

I know it a bit like reviving the Dead, but there isnt a new Thread, and no point in starting a new one!
    -------------------------------------------------------------------

Oldest i own is...

Laptop:IBM THINKPAD 390 - Good ole' Thinkpad, Pentium MMX 233mhz(Bios clock 232mhz), 64mb of Ram, upgraded it to a 20gb ATA HDD. Ran Ubuntu on it since hardy, had Gnome even running smooth up untill 10.04...

Would post pictures, but unluckily, i had it stolen with other unused parts from my parts bin... i rarely used this laptop, but it was the strongest(Physically) laptop i owned. You could throw it out of a 747 at 10k FT and it would survive... So it was great for Field-Work in poor conditions.

Desktop: Custom/AMD-AthlonXP 2.4ghz - Its stripped righ now, i ran it for quite a long time as a server. Served me well for that... 2gb of ram, Forget the mobo now but i think it was a MSI(i went through 4 including a Foxconn from a Emachine Pull... had 40 Power supply's go that year... Poor house wiring) - No hard-drive or PSU now... just sits in the parts bin...
    Also have a Intel-Pentium 4 Northwood(433fsb-2.4ghz), and 2 Prescott(800fsb-3.0/3.4) of the same class. The 3.4 is my old gaming comp, running 3gb of ram(2x dual-channel / 2x 1gb, 2x 500mb - Matched timing, all DDR-5600), DFI Lanparty L875P-B2, Geforce 7800GTS, and i kept the Processor clocked at 3.997ghz... It was amazing in its day...

Server: Compaq/Proliant(?) - I dont remember the Model Number, But it ran two Pentium Pro (233mhz) Processors and 128mb of EDO-Fastpage ram(not sure on the clocking either, i think it was 64mhz)

When it came into my posession, the power-units for the processors were already going. So i only had Memtest and Windows Server 2k running on it for a short time(few hours)... Was quite powerful for its day, but the RAM was its biggest limitation...

I have two from this series, I also have a 2x Pentium 2 (533mhz) Slot-style Version as well. But it suffered from the same issue with the power-controller as well. So only one CPU is operational at this time...

Worse off, i dont have any ECC Ram for it, and some one swiped all the SDram from it while in storage... AND the other proliant server(idk how they carried away a 75lb Pedestal Server to begin with!?)

-----

Will update with pictures when i can!

-----

Continue this Thread!!!!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by McRat View Post
    Both machines run 24hrs a day.

Afraid they won't come back if you shut them down? I used to have a machine like that, we always thought twice before rebooting that machine for fear it would go down and stay down...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast