Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Update Manager not working

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Update Manager not working

Quote Originally Posted by stangdaman View Post
    I know it's weeks between posts here. I haven't had a ton of time on my hands lately to mess with this. It is starting to get slightly irritating though.

I tried changing the password again through recovery mode. The part that is really confusing about this is that it keeps saying it's accepting the password but when I reboot and try to use it it doesn't work. Yet again I wish I had never messed with the stupid fingerprint reader as that seems to have started this. Changing it in recovery mode seems to have made things worse too because always before it asked me for my password on boot up which it used to unlock the network keyring. It's not asking for it now and I can't unlock the network keyring because it won't accept the new password so that laptop can't even get online anymore. I swear all I did was enter the password twice and reboot. I didn't even touch any other settings.

I'm fine with doing a system reload and probably would have done it right from the beginning but it makes me a bit nervous because aren't there a bunch of proprietary drivers that were loaded by System76 for this laptop that now won't be there if I just use a regular ubuntu disc?
    You may well want to contact System76 and ask that question with the technical reps. While I haven't looked at my Serval Laptop, I believe that in the later versions of Ubuntu, there is a "recovery partition"--I may well be wrong about this. Nevertheless you may want to contact the company directly.

Beans

I broke down and did a fresh install but System76 support page says to go to

System > Administration > Hardware Drivers to install nVidia's or ATI's proprietary driver
    to install my graphic drivers. When I do that there's nothing there. Is there a repository that I need to add first?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by stangdaman View Post
    I broke down and did a fresh install but System76 support page says to go to to install my graphic drivers. When I do that there's nothing there. Is there a repository that I need to add first?
    I really suggest that you get in touch with System76 tech reps, do it their way first before trying something on your own or by someone else's suggestion. I would think that when you got your computer, the necessary repos were already included.

Beans

I actually was following their direction on that. It showed up. I just was being a bit impatient. I've got everything, pretty much, set back up. The process was pretty quick. I wish I had just done that from the start. Thanks for the help.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345