Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Apache does not process PHP

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: Apache does not process PHP

Quote Originally Posted by WorMzy View Post
    I just booted into Ubuntu, and I'm getting the same message when running dpkg -l libapache2-mod-php5, but my apache is parsing PHP.

So I guess that message is normal.

However, I don't have /usr/lib/php5/20090626+lfs/xdebug.so; I don't even have the folder "20090626+lfs", I do have one called "20090626", but there's no xdebug in there.

So I guess you're using another module, which is causing the errors. I did a google search on xdebug, and it seems it's a PHP debugger. So I looked in Synaptic, and sure enough, there's a php5-xdebug package. If you have that installed, then you could try reinstalling it, or removing it if that doesn't work.

EDIT: Guess I should search a little quicker.
    Nope. 'Fraid not. Uninstalled it (and restarted Apache), but it still won't parse. Anyway, it's past midnight here so I guess I'll have to leave it now until tomorrow.

Cheers

Peter

Beans

Did you do a remove --purge of that package? If not, try that, and if you're still getting the same xdebug error after that, then make sure that there's no file called xdebug.conf or xdebug.load in /etc/apache2/mods-enabled. If there is, remove them with sudo rm /etc/apache2/mods-enabled/xdebug.conf(or .load).

If that still doesn't fix it, then we're really running out of options. Doing a remove --purge on everything remotely related to apache2 and php5, then removing the related /etc directories seems a little over kill, but that should definitely work.
    http://xkcd.com/293/
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world: Those who understand ternary, those who don't, and those who confuse it with binary.

Beans
    Distro

Did you do a remove --purge of that package? If not, try that, and if you're still getting the same xdebug error after that, then make sure that there's no file called xdebug.conf or xdebug.load in /etc/apache2/mods-enabled. If there is, remove them with sudo rm /etc/apache2/mods-enabled/xdebug.conf(or .load).

If that still doesn't fix it, then we're really running out of options. Doing a remove --purge on everything remotely related to apache2 and php5, then removing the related /etc directories seems a little over kill, but that should definitely work.
    Thanks, WorMzy. I suppose I should take comfort from the fact that this is not easy to better brains than mine...

I'll do what you suggest later on today (when I get back in front of the offending machine). I did a "Complete removal" from Synaptic so I'm guessing it should have done just that. Anyway I'll look for the files and remove them and try again.

If it doesn't work, I'll give the overkill a go. I've nothing to lose, after all.

Cheers

Peter
    http://www.peredur.net

Beans
    Distro

Unhappy Re: Apache does not process PHP

But it doesn't. Here's what I did. First of all I made sure that everything to do with xdebug was gone:

Code:
    peter@peter-linux:~$ sudo dpkg --purge php5-xdebug
    [sudo] password for peter: 
    dpkg: warning: ignoring request to remove php5-xdebug which isn't installed.
    peter@peter-linux:~$ locate xdebug.conf
    peter@peter-linux:~$
    peter@peter-linux:~$ locate xdebug.load
    peter@peter-linux:~$
    peter@peter-linux:~$ cd /etc/apache2/mods-enabled
    peter@peter-linux:/etc/apache2/mods-enabled$ ls
    alias.conf	      authz_user.load  mime.conf	 reqtimeout.load
    alias.load	      autoindex.conf   mime.load	 rewrite.load
    auth_basic.load       autoindex.load   negotiation.conf  setenvif.conf
    authn_file.load       cgi.load	       negotiation.load  setenvif.load
    authz_default.load    dir.conf	       php5.conf	 status.conf
    authz_groupfile.load  dir.load	       php5.load	 status.load
    authz_host.load       env.load	       reqtimeout.conf
    So no xdebug to be found anywhere and still not working. Next, therefore I completely uninstalled (from Synaptic) everything to do with apache2 or php. That is I marked everything *and their dependencies* for complete removal. Then I get rid of everything related to apache and php from /etc:

Code:
    peter@peter-linux:/etc/apache2/mods-enabled$ cd /etc
    peter@peter-linux:/etc$ sudo rm -rf apache2
    peter@peter-linux:/etc$ sudo rm -rf php5
    Then I reinstalled the following:
    * apache2
    * apache2-docs
    * apache2-mpm-prefork
    * apache2-utils
    * apache2.2-bin
    * apache2.2-common
    * libapache2-mod-php5
    * php5-common

Tried again. Apache works with HTML files, but will not parse PHP files.

(I confess at this point to being more than a little frustrated. And yes, I did restart Apache: don't know why. Just in case, I suppose.)

Cheers

Peter

Beans

Are you still getting the exact same error, or is it something different now?

Does the server just dispaly the contents of the PHP file, or does it just fail to load anything at all?
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world: Those who understand ternary, those who don't, and those who confuse it with binary.

Beans
    Distro

Are you still getting the exact same error, or is it something different now?

Does the server just dispaly the contents of the PHP file, or does it just fail to load anything at all?
    Hi Sakura. Many thanks for sticking with this one.

It's the same error in that Apache simply does not know what to do with the file. Firefox says: You have chosen to open xxx.php which is a PHP script from http://localhost. What should Firefox do with this file? etc etc.

I'm not sure if that helps at all...

Cheers

Peter

Beans

Sakura's my PC. :P But you're welcome.

Unfortunately I can't think of anything else that could help. You said earlier that it was a long story, and you didn't want to post it all here, but is there anything you can think of that you might have done which could cause this? What was the last thing you did before the problem started?

Beans
    Distro

Sakura's my PC. But you're welcome.

Unfortunately I can't think of anything else that could help. You said earlier that it was a long story, and you didn't want to post it all here, but is there anything you can think of that you might have done which could cause this? What was the last thing you did before the problem started?
    And a beautifully named computer it is too.

Without being too boring, the background is that all was well with apache and php until I tried to install the Zend Server. That originally caused the problem but then I purged Zemd Server and reinstalled libapache-mod-php5 and all was well. However, I was persuaded to have another go with Zend Server. The result was the same except that this time reinstalling mod-php doesn't cure the issue. The people on the Zend Server forum got bored, apparently, before you because after a while I got no more help from there. But hey! It's free so I can't complain. It may also be because I explained that I intend to change this box for another shortly. Perhaps I should have kept quiet about that.

There you go. Gone and done it again. Haven't actually put hand to wallet, yet, either.

Cheers

Peter

Beans

I must admit, I'm not familiar with Zend at all, but I can't see why it would cause this sort of behaviour in another application; especially after a full purge and reinstallation of said program.

Is switching back to it an option, or did that suffer from similar/other problems?

This is really scraping the bottom of the barrel now, but if Zend doesn't work for whatever reason, then try following earlier steps and throwing an apt-get clean into the mix, just in case your installation .deb files are corrupted:
    • Shutdown apache2
    • Uninstall everything related to Apache2 and PHP5 again
    • rm -fr /etc/apache2 and /etc/php5
    • Run sudo apt-get clean
    • Reinstall Apache2, php5 and libapache2-mod-php5
    • Hope

Beans
    Distro

• Shutdown apache2
    • Uninstall everything related to Apache2 and PHP5 again
    • rm -fr /etc/apache2 and /etc/php5
    • Run sudo apt-get clean
    • Reinstall Apache2, php5 and libapache2-mod-php5
    • Hope
    Once again the witching hour approaches this end. I think I'll give this a go tomorrow, now. I'll post tomorrow evening (GMT + 1) and let you know how I got on.

In the meantime, my grateful thanks for all your help. I appreciate it.

Cheers

Peter

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast