Page 40 of 115 FirstFirst ... 3038394041425090 ... LastLast

Thread: HOW TO Set Up the Bamboo Pen & Touch in Lucid

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: HOW TO Set Up the Bamboo Pen & Touch in Lucid

Good!

So Centos 5.5 was the ticket, was it? Good for you.

Chris just submitted a filter patch. No idea if it will help, but fingers crossed.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Favux View Post
    So Centos 5.5 was the ticket, was it? Good for you.
    Yeah, just gotta get TeXlive 2009 installed somehow, and upgrade Gimp to 2.6.x, then I'm good to go.

Chris just submitted a filter patch. No idea if it will help, but fingers crossed.
    Fingers crossed, as always. We'll see when the patch appears in the repository.

Beans
    Distro

Hi dr4ziw,

Well you're getting there!

Just got word from Chris that there probably won't be much improvement in gestures until the kernel side changes come through. Still leaves room to hope for some general touch improvement.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Hi Favux,

Just got word from Chris that there probably won't be much improvement in gestures until the kernel side changes come through. Still leaves room to hope for some general touch improvement.
    I just installed new git version, but touch became more useless. A pointer very often jumps to edges of screen...

When will the driver be updated in kernel side?

Beans
    Distro

Hi iRi_E,

Sorry to hear that.

The MT code has already been submitted to kernel 2.6.37 with a pull request to Linus. So unless the maintainer vetoes it it should be in 2.6.37.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Got it, thanks. I'll wait for a while.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by iRi_E
    I just installed new git version, but touch became more useless. A pointer very often jumps to edges of screen...
    Oh yeah, I've got those too. I think this happens when you (accidentally) also touch the tablet with other parts of your hand, instead of just the finger. But that occured with previous versions as well.

What makes touch rather useless for me right now is that tapping is way too sensitive.
    I like it, that I can single click with one tap -- is it supposed to do that anyway?
    But when I want to open the right click menu, say on the desktop, I usually hold down the index finger and additionally tap with the middle finger. That doesn't work anymore.
    What it does, it opens the menu and instantly executes the first menu entry, thus creating a new empty folder.
    2FG double tap doesn't seem to work at all, except that it makes the pointer jump around over the screen.

Is there an xsetwacom command to adjust the click force or something like a threshold to set, what would make tapping a little bit more insensitive?

Quote Originally Posted by Favux
    The MT code has already been submitted to kernel 2.6.37 with a pull request to Linus. So unless the maintainer vetoes it it should be in 2.6.37.
    So that would be in Ubuntu 11.04 -- or more likely in 11.10.
    But taking into account where Ubuntu's heading -- Unity instead of Gnome, and especially Wayland instead of X11 --, the xf86-input-wacom driver surely wouldn't work anymore, would it?

Beans
    Distro

Hi iRi_E and dr4ziw,

I can single click with one tap
    No 1FG dbl. tap is left click, 2FG dbl. tap is right click.
    pointer very often jumps to edges of screen...
    You might want to play with Threshold and TapTime for touch. That may help both of you.
    So that would be in Ubuntu 11.04
    Right, my guess is Natty Narwhal (11.04). So in April. Or you could probably import the kernel into Maverick sooner. Or maybe even the wacom.ko kernel module.
    But taking into account where Ubuntu's heading -- Unity instead of Gnome, and especially Wayland instead of X11 --, the xf86-input-wacom driver surely wouldn't work anymore, would it?
    I'm pretty sure it will. Ubuntu is committed to the Gnome Desktop. We just might not see Gnome 3.0 for Natty.

Beans

You might want to play with Threshold and TapTime for touch. That may help both of you.
    Will try that.

I'm pretty sure it will. Ubuntu is committed to the Gnome Desktop. We just might not see Gnome 3.0 for Natty.
    Right, instead of the Gnome Shell, we'll get Unity -- which I'm not very keen on.

Without wanting to go too much off-topic:
    Sooner or later, Xorg will be replaced by (super, smooth, polished, opengl effects everywhere) Wayland...
    http://blogs.computerworld.com/17303...er_for_wayland

As to my understanding, everything the X server does at the moment will be taken over by this Wayland thingy -- including input device drivers, which certainly will be addressed differently. And who knows if an input driver will be able to run in an X compatibility mode inside Wayland. For those of us using Wacom tablets, this could turn out to be a real showstopper.

Beans

Enough with the rambling.

Setting TapTime to 500 helped with the right click issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Favux
    No 1FG dbl. tap is left click, 2FG dbl. tap is right click.
    I know that it should be.

What I have here:
    1FG single tap often results in a left click. Sometimes 1FG dbl. tap is needed.

2FG dbl tap for right click doesn't work at all. Only tapping with a second finger while the first one is still touching the tablet works here.

Honestly, I'd prefer this behavior over the way it's supposed to work. Plus that's how the tablet works in Windows...
    I guess that would be the synaptics way, how things work. Like on a notebook's touchpad, even.

Page 40 of 115 FirstFirst ... 3038394041425090 ... LastLast