Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: HOW TO Set Up the Bamboo Pen & Touch in Lucid

Hi Tobias,

Nice work!

Glad you figured out the dkms problem.

Instead of your original:
    Code:
    static struct wacom_features wacom_features_0xDB =
        { "Wacom Bamboo 2FG 4x5 SE", WACOM_PKGLEN_BBFUN,  14720,  9200, 1023, 63, BAMBOO_PT };
    which is for a 4x5 tablet I have:
    Code:
    static struct wacom_features wacom_features_0xDB =
    	{ "Wacom Bamboo 2FG 6x8 SE", WACOM_PKGLEN_BBFUN,  21648, 13530, 1023, 63, BAMBOO_PT };
    which I believe is correct for you 6x8 tablet. Which is what you settled on.
    For the left side the utmost left point on the screen corresponds to +- 0.5cm to the right from the outer region on the tablet, but I don't know whether this is as expected or not.
    This probably indicates you need some calibration. Either manually or with xinput_calibrator. The TX2000 sample script on post #2 has an example of how to add coordinates.

Really outstanding job!

Beans
    Distro

Gimp guideline behavior across multiple Ubuntu releases

I decided to check and the last time I can confirm the stylus easily and consistently pulls out a guideline is in Hardy. I'm pretty sure that worked in Intrepid also. And setting Mode with xsetwacom prevents the mouse from pulling guidelines. This is true for every release thereafter I can test. So is this Mode setting disabling the mouse actually a bug?

Jaunty I don't know about.

With Karmic the stylus still pulls out the guideline from the ruler, but it becomes tricky and inconsistent. So the gtk bug(s) appear here in version 2.18.3? As long as the mouse is disabled the mouse pulls out guidelines easily and consistently. Changing it to screen stops it from pulling guidelines but has no effect on the stylus. By the way this is with linuxwacom 0.8.8-10 for Hardy and Karmic.

Starting with Lucid the mouse pulls out the guideline not but the stylus. This looks like a deliberate change in behavior, maybe to avoid the stylus accidently grabbing guidelines as Alexia Death mentioned? You can inconsistently pull a guideline from the top left corner using the stylus. With Lucid and Maverick (just like Hardy and Karmic) you have the issue of using 'xsetwacom set "Device name" Mode Absolute or Relative'. Doing either disables the mouse from grabbing a guideline. With both I have the wacom.ko from linuxwacom 0.8.8-10 and xf86-input-wacom 0.10.10+.
    Code:
    Hardy:    Gimp 2.4.6   gtk 2.14.3  2.6.24-28

Gtk bug(s) appear?

Karmic:   Gimp 2.6.7   gtk 2.18.3  2.6.31-22

Switch to just mouse (with stylus upper left corner)?

Lucid:    Gimp 2.6.8   gtk 2.20.0  2.6.32-26

Maverick: Gimp 2.6.10  gtk 2.20.1  2.6.35-23

Beans

Wow! You've really been busy.

Also read your posting on linuxwacom-discuss.
    As Alexia correctly points out, Hardy had Gimp 2.4...
    Installing Gimp 2.6 for Ubuntu 8.04 from GetDeb would be an option, but apparently http://old.getdeb.net is down -- for the moment? forever? Who knows...
    And I wouldn't even dare to suggest building Gimp from source. Done that once, when I wanted to have a look at Gimp 2.7 ... PITA! -.- What a pity.

Edit:
    http://old.getdeb.net is no longer available since February 2010... So I fear there's no chance to download a hardy build of gimp 2.6 anymore.
    Last edited by dr4ziw; December 6th, 2010 at 12:54 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Thanks to all for the great advice on this thread. I have bought a bamboo tablet for my son for christmas with some trepidation about installing it. Not one difficulty. I am so happy and so will he be on the day.Have a great seasonal break to all.

Beans
    Distro

Hi manixtate,

That is good to hear. Have a Happy Hollidays.

Hi everyone,

Interesting new patch just submitted. Ping found an error in the touch resolution conversion: http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/f...nuxwacom-devel

I'm wondering if this might help the jerkiness/graininess some are reporting with touch. Here's hoping. We'll see if it is committed.

Chris also submitted a patch for the filter that he speculates might help: http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/f...nuxwacom-devel as you can see from the comments it is still a work in progress. I'm also interested in seeing if it fixes the lines appearing in Xournal for serial tablet pc's (ISD4) with touch, since it turns out they weren't be filtered at all!
    Last edited by Favux; December 7th, 2010 at 11:09 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Favux View Post
    Interesting new patch just submitted. Ping found an error in the touch resolution conversion: http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/f...nuxwacom-devel

I'm wondering if this might help the jerkiness/graininess some are reporting with touch. Here's hoping. We'll see if it is committed.
    Couldn't wait, so I applied the patch right away. Doesn't change anything, unfortunately.
    At least not to the naked eye.
    In order to get smooth pixel by pixel movement, I still have to lower RawSample to 1.

I guess, the patch only changes the way how the tablet gets identified, or identifies itself, or whatever, but not how it works. But what do I know?

Cheers,
    - dr4ziw -

Beans

Hi!

I have an CTH661/L and are unable to get this to work. I followed the instruktions in the first post (step I and II, including the macros and the /etc/modules entry) and already recompiled it 3 times with rebooting everytime twice.

Here are some outputs:
    Code:
    $ uname -a
    Linux AEGIS 2.6.32-27-generic #49-Ubuntu SMP Wed Dec 1 23:52:12 UTC 2010 i686 GNU/Linux
    Code:
    $ modinfo wacom
    filename:       /lib/modules/2.6.32-27-generic/kernel/drivers/input/tablet/wacom.ko
    license:        GPL
    description:    USB Wacom tablet driver
    author:         Vojtech Pavlik <vojtech@ucw.cz>
    license:        GPL
    description:    USB Wacom tablet driver
    author:         Vojtech Pavlik <vojtech@ucw.cz>
    srcversion:     541CD3AF8992F2E1FDF298E
    depends:        
    vermagic:       2.6.32-27-generic SMP mod_unload modversions 586
    Code:
    $ lsusb | grep '[Ww]acom'
    Bus 002 Device 003: ID 056a:00db Wacom Co., Ltd
    Btw, does the above mean, its already detected by the USB-driver?
    Code:
    dmesg output after plugin:
    [ 2795.812093] usb 2-2: new full speed USB device using ohci_hcd and address 3
    [ 2796.026447] usb 2-2: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
    There is no output for "xsetwacom --list dev"
    Code:
    $ xinput --list
    ⎡ Virtual core pointer                        id=2    [master pointer  (3)]
    ⎜   ↳ Virtual core XTEST pointer                  id=4    [slave  pointer  (2)]
    ⎜   ↳ Logitech USB-PS/2 Optical Mouse             id=9    [slave  pointer  (2)]
    ⎜   ↳ SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad                  id=11    [slave  pointer  (2)]
    ⎜   ↳ Macintosh mouse button emulation            id=12    [slave  pointer  (2)]
    ⎣ Virtual core keyboard                       id=3    [master keyboard (2)]
        ↳ Virtual core XTEST keyboard                 id=5    [slave  keyboard (3)]
        ↳ Power Button                                id=6    [slave  keyboard (3)]
        ↳ Power Button                                id=7    [slave  keyboard (3)]
        ↳ Sleep Button                                id=8    [slave  keyboard (3)]
        ↳ AT Translated Set 2 keyboard                id=10    [slave  keyboard (3)]
    Code:
    $ dpkg -l | grep [Ww]acom
    rc  wacom-tools                                1:0.8.4.1-0ubuntu4                                   utilities for Wacom tablet devices
    ii  xserver-xorg-input-wacom                   1:0.10.5-0ubuntu4                                    X.Org X server -- Wacom input driver
    I guess i missed something small, like this nasty little mistakes (or happy little accidents ) you do with programming, a missing ';' or so - i would really appreciate any help or tipps on how to search for the cause.

Beans
    Distro

Hi Farmercy,

If you look in the box of models near the top of the HOW TO you'll see yours is one of the new models. Patches to add your model have already been accepted into xf86-input-wacom, so you don't need to do anything with it.

However while a patch for it was also accepted by linux-input for the 2.6.37 kernel that doesn't help you with the Lucid 2.6.32 kernel. So before you compile linuxwacom 0.8.8-10 you need to manually add your model the wacom_wac.c source code so the usb kernel driver wacom.ko will recognize your model. Instructions and a link are in the blue text immediately below the model box. Also see tobix's posts above.

Hope this helps.

Hi everyone,

Ping will be adding the new CTH460/K; Product ID = 0xd6 to xf86-input-wacom and the 2.6.37 kernel shortly.

Beans

Oh my...i did not read that carefull enough

I even found the changes:

http://old.nabble.com/linuxwacom%3A-...d30184427.html

Thank you very much!

edit: After reboot, everything works fine. Awsome!
    Last edited by Farmercy; December 27th, 2010 at 10:08 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Hi Farmercy,

Great!

And by the way:

Welcome to Ubuntu forums!

Page 47 of 115 FirstFirst ... 3745464748495797 ... LastLast