Results 1,111 to 1,120 of 1141

Thread: HOW TO Set Up the Bamboo Pen & Touch in Lucid

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: HOW TO Set Up the Bamboo Pen & Touch in Lucid

Is this maybe it?
    https://launchpad.net/~doctormo/+archive/wacom-plus

Anyway you want to uninstall "wacom-dkms".

What is happening is the dkms (dynamic kernel module support) implementation of wacom.ko from the PPA is probably an older wacom.ko that does not support your tablet. If I knew the PPA I could find out the version. And what it is doing is overwriting any wacom.ko you compile and install that does support your tablet with the non-working wacom.ko from the dkms directory. Which is why you can't get it to work. Follow?

Beans

More or less, yes! That b** takes over and prevents the right driver to work properly, right?
    Does the uninstallation solve the problem definetly?

Beans
    Distro

Yes. And it should.

Just check: /lib/modules/2.6.32-45-generic/updates/dkms and make sure the wacom.ko is gone. The PPA location should be in Software Sources in your Update Manager.

An example on how to manually remove a dkms is in appendix 2 here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1038949 But that requires you know the correct name.

Beans

The PPA was: "http://ppa.launchpad.net/doctormo/wacom-plus/ubuntu"
    I launched (before your answer)
    Code:
    $ sudo apt-get purge wacom-dkms
    and rebooted, then:
    Code:
    $ sudo depmod -a
    [...]
    $ ./configure --enable-wacom --prefix=/usr
    [...]
    $ sudo cp ./Bamboo/linuxwacom-0.9.5/src/2.6.30/wacom.ko /lib/modules/`uname -r`/kernel/drivers/input/tablet/wacom.ko
    $ sudo depmod -a
    [...]
    rebooted again, and checked:
    Code:
    $ lsmod | grep wacom
    wacom                  32950  0 
    $ modinfo -n wacom
    /lib/modules/2.6.32-45-generic/kernel/drivers/input/tablet/wacom.ko
    $ modprobe --show-depends wacom
    insmod /lib/modules/2.6.32-45-generic/kernel/drivers/input/tablet/wacom.ko
    I took the last command from the post you suggested to remove dkms. Anyway using TAB after "sudo dkms remove -m " all the suggestion I get are "nvidia-current virtualbox-ose" so I think the wacom dkms has been removed using "purge".
    The problem is tablet doesn't work yet, should I simply reboot a few times or did I mess up something and so should repeat the whole procedure?

Ah, I removed the PPA from the sources.
    Last edited by earendil02; December 28th, 2012 at 06:38 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Hi earendil02,

I broke out my Capture and set it up in Lucid. As soon as I compiled input-wacom-0.16.0, installed its wacom.ko, and rebooted, it started working. That was with the xf86-input-wacom-0.14.0 I had installed. You get the pen with pressure and single finger touch. Touch gestures for third generation BambooPTs don't work on the Lucid X Server.

So as long as you have xf86-input-wacom-0.14.0 or more recent installed you probably don't need to worry about xf86-input-wacom, i.e. part II.

It turns out xf86-input-wacom-0.18.0 has a bug which is why it won't compile in Lucid. They figured that out right away and committed "Don't declare touch_mask on older servers" to fix it. It's an easy fix, just need to add a couple of lines to xf86WacomDefs.h and 0.18.0 will compile. I tested it and it works fine.

You don't have to do that because xf86-input-wacom-0.18.99.1.tar.bz2 has the fix and you can just download it. So you don't need to clone xf86-input-wacom and figure out the macro thing. Actually what you showed didn't look like a problem to me anyway.

So if compiling input-wacom-0.16.0 and installing its wacom.ko doesn't work, then presumambly something from the PPA dkms is still messing up your system and we'll have to figure that out.

By the way the Pen from my first generation Bamboo Pen & Touch works fine on the Capture as does its eraser. I have no idea why the Pen included with the Capture doesn't have an eraser. I think your Bamboo Manga (CTH-470/K) is the same model as my Capture but we haven't checked. If you run lsusb in a terminal do you see this line in the output?
    Code:
    Bus 003 Device 002: ID 056a:00de Wacom Co., Ltd
    In other words is it a 00de too? Did your Pen come with an eraser?

Beans

Thank you very much, apparently the linuxwacom-0.9.5 driver (alternate instructions) doesn't work, but as soon as I tried input-wacom-0.16.0 after removing PPA dkms nmy tablet WORKED!!! As you I get pen with pressure and single finger touch. My pen has the eraser, and the tablet 4 physical buttons, that currently work as (from the top to the bottom) left click, next (in web browser), previous (in web browser) and right click. Plus the pen has 2 buttons that perform right and central click.

As you asked I tried lsusb:
    Code:
    $ lsusb
    [...]
    Bus 002 Device 002: ID 056a:00de Wacom Co., Ltd
    [...]
    just like you.
    Ah, I installed xf86-input-wacom-0.18.99.1.

Two final (I hope) questions:
    1)the multi-touch isn't supported at all or have I some hope to configure it somehow?
    2)I gave a look at the parts concerning buttons configuration, but I didn't understand where I have to work and modify to set them. How can I change their behaviour?
    Thank you again!

Beans
    Distro

as soon as I tried input-wacom-0.16.0 after removing PPA dkms nmy tablet WORKED!!!
    Great, nice work!
    1)the multi-touch isn't supported at all or have I some hope to configure it somehow?
    If I remember correctly the third generation BambooPTs use a slightly different usb protocol and Chris decided it wasn't worth the effort to backport gesture support for older kernels that don't include mt.h (multitouch headers). So Natty 11.04 (2.6.38) is the first to support third gen. gestures.
    2)I gave a look at the parts concerning buttons configuration, but I didn't understand where I have to work and modify to set them. How can I change their behaviour?
    You can modify the buttons with xsetwacom commands. Right now they have the kernel defaults. If you run one in a terminal it will apply immediately. Or you run them in a script. There is a sample script attached to the HOW TO. Be sure to read part V. "Tablet (Pad) buttons". More information is available on the wiki: http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawik..._Configuration

Beans
    Distro

HOW TO UPDATE 1-14-13

Linuxwacom's input-wacom- the USB kernel module/driver
    input-wacom-0.16.0 released (12-19-12). Adds new MT device (0x4001) and fixes touch support for Bamboo Fun CTH-461 in the 2.6.38 and 3.7 folders.

Xorg's xf86-input-wacom - the X driver
    xf86-input-wacom 0.19.0 released (1-3-13). Adds support for the 0x4001, TabletPC sensor with 10-finger touch. Multiple bug fixes.

Just substitute the current version numbers in the HOW TO's instructions.

Warning for Precise:
    Ubuntu has customized their input ABI (X Server 1.11 and 1.12 hybrid) and it is no longer compatible with some upstream packages including xf86-input-wacom. Consequently if you compile xf86-input-wacom in Precise it will cause your system to not start if you have your BambooPT plugged in, or to crash/freeze if you plug it in after it has started. You need to patch xf86-input-wacom to make it compatible.

Instructions for xf86-input-wacom in Precise:
    Follow the HOW TO as normal until you get to the ./configure --prefix=/usr or ./autogen.sh --prefix=/usr command. Stop there and don't enter it. If using xf86-input-wacom-0.17.0 or earlier download the build_against_frankenserver.patch attached to post #1034 onto your Desktop. If using xf86-input-wacom-0.18.0 or later download the build_against_frankenserver_for0.18.patch attached to post #1081 onto your Desktop. Rename it from build_against_frankenserver.patch.txt to build_against_frankenserver.patch or build_against_frankenserver_for0.18.patch. Apply the patch with a -p1 strip:
    Code:
    patch -p1 < ~/Desktop/build_against_frankenserver.patch

(or for xf86-input-wacom-0.18.0 and later)
    patch -p1 < ~/Desktop/build_against_frankenserver_for0.18.patch
    You should see this output:
    Code:
    patching file src/wcmValidateDevice.c
    patching file test/fake-symbols.c
    patching file test/fake-symbols.h
    After you see it you can proceed with ./configure --prefix=/usr or ./autogen.sh --prefix=/usr and the rest of the commands.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by Favux View Post
    Hi potiphera,

If you got a kernel update you need to recompile input-wacom against the new kernel. Could that be it?
    Yeah, that was it. Thanks so much!

By the way, is it possible to automate that with a script similar to this one for automatically updating NVidia drivers?

Beans
    Distro

Hi potiphera,

Yes, but it would be better to use a dkms (dynamic kernel module support) framework instead.

I have a dkms framework for wacom.ko in appendix 2 on the Linux Wacom HOW TO. You'll probably want to modify it a bit as is suggested. You'd be using the source code files in the input-wacom folder (2.6.38?) your wacom.ko compiled in.

Page 112 of 115 FirstFirst ... 1262102110111112113114 ... LastLast