Page 45 of 115 FirstFirst ... 3543444546475595 ... LastLast

Thread: HOW TO Set Up the Bamboo Pen & Touch in Lucid

Beans

Re: HOW TO Set Up the Bamboo Pen & Touch in Lucid

Quote Originally Posted by Favux View Post
    What happened with your Xorg.0.log? Does evdev still think it has the stylus?
    By using my own 50-wacom.conf (see a couple of messages above) the stylus is explicitely ignored so the xorg driver does not get it. On the other hand, both the 8.8-10 and 10.10-10 kernel drivers recognize two devices (stylus and touch).

Anything do you want me to test? While not being an expert in writing drivers, I am not too bad in writing C/C++ code. Any suggestion where to start looking into the xorg/kernel driver to contribute with gesture recognizing?

G.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

By using my own 50-wacom.conf (see a couple of messages above) the stylus is explicitely ignored so the xorg driver does not get it.
    Ok, I thought we'd have to try something like:
    Code:
    Section "InputClass"
    	Identifier "evdev tablet catchall"
    	MatchIsTablet "on"
    	MatchDevicePath "/dev/input/event*"
    	Driver "evdev"
    	MatchProduct "Wacom|WACOM"
    	Option "Ignore" "yes"
    EndSection
    in the 05-evdev.conf.
    Code:
    both the 8.8-10 and 10.10-10 kernel drivers recognize two devices (stylus and touch).
    Since you have Xserver 1.7 I assume it's the same hybrid Ubuntu has, with some early versions of udev for .conf files from Xserver 1.8 back-ported into it. Other distributions using 1.7 still use the .fdi files. Any chance you have a wacom .fdi file active? HAL installed? That could give the spurious devices.

Since you're on kernel 2.6.36.1 I'm a little surprised linuxwacom compiled. Any errors? 0.8.8-10 isn't 2.6.36 ready yet. There were some changes to linuxwacom posted earlier on this thread to get it to compile in 2.6.36.
    I am not too bad in writing C/C++ code. Any suggestion where to start looking into the xorg/kernel driver to contribute with gesture recognizing?
    In that case you should definitely get in touch with Chris Bagwell (on linuxwacom-discuss). I'm sure he'd love the help.

Beans

@Favux
    Just to clarify and avoid misunderstandings. As for the kernel module wacom.ko I tested both the linuxwacom-0.8.8-10 (patched for kernel 2.6.36) and input-wacom-0.10.10. Both report the same messages into syslog, something like:
    Code:
    Dec  3 13:15:58 lap-cugola kernel: usb 5-1: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 2
    Dec  3 13:15:59 lap-cugola kernel: input: Wacom Bamboo 2FG Pen as /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1d.0/usb5/5-1/5-1:1.0/input/input11
    Dec  3 13:15:59 lap-cugola kernel: input: Wacom Bamboo 2FG Finger as /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1d.0/usb5/5-1/5-1:1.1/input/input12
    which is strange since mine is a Bamboo touch, not "pen&touch". In any case this does not seem to create problems.

As for X I tested the latest git version of the xf86-input-wacom module, but lately I used my own 50-wacom.conf file under /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d in order to ignore the pen device. Here it is:
    Code:
    Section "InputClass"
            Identifier "Wacom touch class"
            MatchIsTouchpad "on"
            Driver "wacom"
    EndSection

Section "InputClass"
            Identifier "Wacom ignore class"
            MatchIsTablet "on"
            Option "Ignore" "yes"
    EndSection

Section "InputClass"
            Identifier "Wacom ignore mouse dev"
            MatchDevicePath "/dev/input/mouse*"
            Option "Ignore" "yes"
    EndSection
    Now, what works and what not...

With the linuxwacom-0.8.8-10 kernel module, Gesture is automatically on and you notice that some gestures are captured but very unreliably, especially scrolling, which is recognized once every 20 times you try it (while zooming is captured more often). The very bad of this configuration is that the X pointer is not smooth at all. It is like if it moved by 3 to 5 pixels each time. To solve these problems I tried using xsetwacom and changing several parameters: Suppress, RawSample, TapTime, ScrollDistance, ZoomDistance... Things change a little but I was not able to find an acceptable configuration.

With the experimental input-wacom-0.10.10 kernel module, Gesture is off by default and turning on via xsetwacom does not improve things: gestures are not recognized at all. What is good is that the X pointer moves very smoothly, pixel by pixel without any strange "jumping".

As a final remark, in both configurations xsetwacom reports that "Capacity" is "-1", which is strange since I was convinced that the Bamboo touch was a capacitive device, not a resistive one. But perhaps this is not relevant.

My plan now is twofold. First, I will try the same device in ubuntu (I have a spare PC and will install Ubuntu Maverick Meerkat, i.e., 10.10), to see if I am more lucky. Second, I will try following the linuxwacom-devel list to see if I can help with the code.

Since I noticed that list is more oriented toward who already have a grasp on the linuxwacom code, do you have any suggestion on where to start looking at, considering I am interested in debugging the gesture recognition code, mainly?

Beans

Sorry to interrupt.

@Favux: Concerning your proposed .xsetwacom.sh: Looks okay to me -- you've only replaced ClickForce with the new Threshold, haven't you?
    Only thing which bugs me a little... Do we really have to have the "set Mode absolute" lines for stylus and eraser? Firstly that's default anyway, as far as I can tell. And secondly, with that line present, the mouse stops working inside GIMP, and I still can't explain why.
    Another thing is, when you often plug, unplug, replug the tablet, the IDs might change. That's why I came to replacing the ID with the full device names, so I don't have to check whether the IDs are still correct. Works better for me, but YMMV.

@giancarlo: When you're using the wacom.ko from linuxwacom-0.8.8-10, have you tried to set the Touch finger RawSample to 1? Worked for me.

Besides, without RawSample set to 1, both kernel drivers (0.8.8-10 and 0.10.10) have the same jumpy pointer issue. Maybe that's due to my "ancient" 2.6.32 kernel.

Cheers,
    - dr4ziw -

Beans
    Distro

Hi gianpaoloc,

tested both the linuxwacom-0.8.8-10 (patched for kernel 2.6.36) and input-wacom-0.10.10. Both report the same messages into syslog, something like:
    Yes, I don't understand it either. Whether it's a hardware/firmware issue or if there should be an exclude somewhere in the kernel or X driver that isn't being applied. I looked but didn't see anything obvious.
    With the experimental input-wacom-0.10.10 kernel module, Gesture is off by default and turning on via xsetwacom does not improve things: gestures are not recognized at all. What is good is that the X pointer moves very smoothly, pixel by pixel without any strange "jumping".
    Sounds like you're describing single finger touch like I have on my tablet pc.
    As a final remark, in both configurations xsetwacom reports that "Capacity" is "-1", which is strange since I was convinced that the Bamboo touch was a capacitive device, not a resistive one. But perhaps this is not relevant.
    Probably not. If I recall correctly Ping said setting Capacity never worked right due to a hardware issue. So it probably doesn't mean what we think.

I'm interested to see how you do with Maverick.
    I will try following the linuxwacom-devel list to see if I can help with the code. Since I noticed that list is more oriented toward who already have a grasp on the linuxwacom code, do you have any suggestion on where to start looking at, considering I am interested in debugging the gesture recognition code, mainly?
    Well there isn't much documentation. You can look through the HOW TO and there is some developer specific stuff too, look at the overviews: http://linuxwacom.sourceforge.net/ And on linuxwacom-discuss or devel just filter for Chris Bagwell. MT for the Bamboo is mainly what he's been working on. So if you look for his stuff over the last 6 months or year or so you'll pretty much have everything. I'm not sure you need to look at Ayuthia's and obe1kenobe's thread on the Ubuntu forums.

Hi dr4ziw,

Thanks for the feedback on the proposed xsetwacom script. In addition to the ClickForce/Threshold name I corrected the default and the range. I corrected the default on Suppress and the range and the default on RawSample and added the range. Plus I added some more information to the comments.

Re the mouse I can't duplicate it. If I change the extended input devices in Preferences to enable my mouse by selecting screen it draws too. Irregardless of what I do with the xsetwacom script.

Good point regarding ID v.s. name. I have to spell that out more explicitly somewhere, don't I? I need to add your duplicate xsetwacom in the wrong location to troubleshooting too. Speaking of which I wonder if 'sudo ./uninstall' in the unpacked xf86-input-wacom tar does anything? We used to run it in the linuxwacom /prebuilt directory.

Beans

Re the mouse I can't duplicate it. If I change the extended input devices in Preferences to enable my mouse by selecting screen it draws too. Irregardless of what I do with the xsetwacom script.
    Okay, if I set the mouse to screen, I can draw, select, crop, etc. However, I can't drag out guidelines.
    On the other hand, when I don't touch "xsetwacom set ID Mode absolute" for stylus and eraser, the mouse works fine in Gimp -- even if it's set to disabled, what I thought would be correct.

Good point regarding ID v.s. name. I have to spell that out more explicitly somewhere, don't I? I need to add your duplicate xsetwacom in the wrong location to troubleshooting too. Speaking of which I wonder if 'sudo ./uninstall' in the unpacked xf86-input-wacom tar does anything? We used to run it in the linuxwacom /prebuilt directory.
    Umm, I'd have to check if ./uninstall does anything at all. Can't remember. To get rid of the duplicate xsetwacom in /usr/local/bin I simply deleted it. Works great

Beans

L.S.

Many thanks for the extensive and very clear guide; unfortunately no success yet

64-bit Ubuntu 10.04 with the following device: P&T special edition medium

After executing step I. and II. without any obvious error messages, this is
    what I could gather in terms of troubleshooting:

Code:
    $ uname -r
    2.6.32-26-generic
    Code:
    $ lsmod | grep wacom
    wacom                  32370  0
    At first, lsmod did not give anything useful so I added wacom in /etc/modules (hope this is not a curse..)

Code:
    $ xinput --list
    ⎡ Virtual core pointer                        id=2    [master pointer  (3)]
    ⎜   ↳ Virtual core XTEST pointer                  id=4    [slave  pointer  (2)]
    ⎜   ↳ Microsoft Microsoft 3-Button Mouse with IntelliEye(TM)    id=9    [slave  pointer  (2)]
    ⎜   ↳ AlpsPS/2 ALPS GlidePoint                    id=13    [slave  pointer  (2)]
    ⎜   ↳ PS/2 Mouse                                  id=14    [slave  pointer  (2)]
    ⎜   ↳ Macintosh mouse button emulation            id=15    [slave  pointer  (2)]
    ⎣ Virtual core keyboard                       id=3    [master keyboard (2)]
        ↳ Virtual core XTEST keyboard                 id=5    [slave  keyboard (3)]
        ↳ Power Button                                id=6    [slave  keyboard (3)]
        ↳ Video Bus                                   id=7    [slave  keyboard (3)]
        ↳ Power Button                                id=8    [slave  keyboard (3)]
        ↳ CHICONY USB Keyboard                        id=10    [slave  keyboard (3)]
        ↳ USB 2.0 Camera                              id=11    [slave  keyboard (3)]
        ↳ AT Translated Set 2 keyboard                id=12    [slave  keyboard (3)]
    As you can see, there is no trace of WACOM in here.

Also if I

tail -f /var/log/messages and unplug the tablet / plug it in again I have

Code:
    Dec  4 21:55:20 openanalytics kernel: [ 1199.040758] usb 6-1: USB disconnect, address 2
    Dec  4 21:55:25 openanalytics kernel: [ 1203.592779] usb 6-1: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 4
    Dec  4 21:55:25 openanalytics kernel: [ 1203.760646] usb 6-1: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
    no wacom either.

Can I provide other useful information ?

Many thanks in advance for any pointer.

Best,
    Tobias

Beans
    Distro

Hi dr4ziw,

Okay, if I set the mouse to screen, I can draw, select, crop, etc. However, I can't drag out guidelines.
    On the other hand, when I don't touch "xsetwacom set ID Mode absolute" for stylus and eraser, the mouse works fine in Gimp -- even if it's set to disabled, what I thought would be correct.
    OK, you've more than proven your point. I'll have those lines commented out. I can't tell you to drag the guidelines out of the top left corner with the stylus because I've found that very fiddly. Can't always get a guideline and can't always tell if it'll be horizontal or vertical. Plus the annoying image menu keeps popping up. There must be some trick to doing it which I don't know, because that's apparently how some folks routinely do it.

And it does no good to tell you you can select the measurement tool, click to the left of the image, hold down control and left click again to drive a horizontal guideline because it doesn't give you a vertical guideline.

I wish I knew if this is a Wacom or Gimp bug, or something else.

Aside from that how do you find the script? Any modifications you would find useful?

And everybody else please chime in.

Beans
    Distro

Hi Tobias,

Welcome to Ubuntu forums!

Boy am I glad to hear from you!!!

Your model is new and the identifier for it is not yet in the kernel driver wacom.ko. Since my patches were accepted it is in xf86-input-wacom.

Is there any usb communication with the tablet at all? Do you see it in 'lsusb'?

Unfortunately the patch I just submitted to the kernel did not have your model because I did not have a tested-by by a user with that model.

If you look in the table of models near the top you should see your model. In the blue text underneath it it tells you how to add your model. Which should be the Bamboo P & T Special Edition Medium (CTH661; Product ID = 0xdB). You want to add it to wacom_wac.c in the unpacked linuxwacom tar before you compile it. See post #309.

And ask if you have questions.
    Last edited by Favux; December 4th, 2010 at 10:31 PM.

Beans

I can't tell you to drag the guidelines out of the top left corner with the stylus because I've found that very fiddly. Can't always get a guideline and can't always tell if it'll be horizontal or vertical. Plus the annoying image menu keeps popping up. There must be some trick to doing it which I don't know, because that's apparently how some folks routinely do it.
    Top left corner... Tried that already and never could get a guideline out of there.
    For the moment, I'll stick with placing guidelines with the mouse. And as long as the mouse is working... It's bearable.

I wish I knew if this is a Wacom or Gimp bug, or something else.
    For all I know, it could be both at the same time. That Wacom delivers something Gimp can't handle, while Gimp expects something which Wacom doesn't provide. *shrug*

Aside from that how do you find the script? Any modifications you would find useful?
    The script works for me.
    Albeit, I have to lower RawSample to 1 to get close to smooth behavior. Might be noted for troubleshooting. But since not everybody experiences this the same way... RawSample 2 is a good starting point.

I still have to check, if some settings in the script which divert from the driver's default are responsible that scrolling is mostly not working and gets interpreted as a zoom gesture.

Maybe one or two minor modification might be important. I try not to use a shortcut when it's already used somewhere else. I'm referring to "Ctrl + T" for the toggle-touch script, which is also used for opening a new tab in Firefox. That's why I have set Button1 on the pad to "alt t" -- never had to use this shortcut anywhere else.
    Button2 "key backspace" ... I use this button for undo, so "key ctrl z"... Don't know if that has to be inside the .xsetwacom.sh script, since everybody can easily adjust the pad button mapping to their liking.

Page 45 of 115 FirstFirst ... 3543444546475595 ... LastLast