Page 89 of 115 FirstFirst ... 3979878889909199 ... LastLast

Thread: HOW TO Set Up the Bamboo Pen & Touch in Lucid

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: HOW TO Set Up the Bamboo Pen & Touch in Lucid

Great!

Well Oneiric has Gnome 3.2 which has the first implementation of the Wacom tablet applet in System Settings. Doesn't do a whole lot yet. At least we finally have the beginning of a replacement for the old linuxwacom wacomcpl (wacom control panel).

There is a application called Wacom Control Panel (not wacomcpl, but confusingly the same name). I'd approach with caution because the folks doing the configuration applets have had a hard time keeping up with all the changes in the last year and a half.

In the meantime you can do everything manually as shown here and on the mediawiki:
    http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawik...Category:HOWTO
    http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawik..._Configuration

Beans

Hello Favux,
    the tips in 'VI. Touch & Gesture Tips ...' may help,
    but couldn't experiment different parameters as I'm maybe using a wrong device id or what?

Code:
    xsetwacom --list devices
    Wacom Bamboo Craft Pen stylus   	id: 9	type: STYLUS    
    Wacom Bamboo Craft Finger touch 	id: 10	type: TOUCH     
    Wacom Bamboo Craft Pen eraser   	id: 17	type: ERASER    
    Wacom Bamboo Craft Finger pad   	id: 18	type: PAD
    Code:
    cat xsetwacom.sh 
    xinput set-prop "Bamboo Craft Finger touch" --type=float "Device Accel Constant Deceleration" 1.250000
    xinput set-prop "Bamboo Craft Finger touch" --type=float "Device Accel Adaptive Deceleration" 1.150000
    xinput set-prop "Bamboo Craft Finger touch" --type=float "Device Accel Velocity Scaling" 10.000000
    Code:
    ./xsetwacom.sh 
    unable to find device Bamboo Craft Finger touch
    Code:
    cat /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/50-wacom.conf
    Section "InputClass"
    	Identifier "Wacom class"
    	MatchProduct "Wacom|WACOM|WALTOP|Hanwang"
    	MatchDevicePath "/dev/input/event*"
    	Driver "wacom"
    EndSection

Section "InputClass"
    	Identifier "Wacom serial class"
    	MatchProduct "Serial Wacom Tablet"
    	Driver "wacom"
    EndSection

Section "InputClass"
            Identifier "Wacom serial class identifiers"
            MatchProduct "WACf|FUJ02e5|FUJ02e7|FUJ02e9"
            Driver "wacom"
    EndSection

# N-Trig Duosense Electromagnetic Digitizer
    Section "InputClass"
    	Identifier "Wacom N-Trig class"
    	MatchProduct "HID 1b96:0001|N-Trig Pen"
    	MatchDevicePath "/dev/input/event*"
    	Driver "wacom"
    	Option "Button2" "3"
    EndSection

Quote Originally Posted by Favux View Post
    Hi Alessandro,

Glad to hear gestures have improved for you.

Have you played with the "Device accel" parameters from part VI. Touch & Gesture Tips for the BambooPT?

Part of the scroll lag is due to the algorithm used to detect whether the fingers are parallel (scroll) or moving towards or away from each other (zoom). Chris mentions the need to improve that on the link. Hopefully in a non-computationally expensive way. Heck there's a lag in Windows too I think. Have to check that again.

Also we may be able to come up with a better default for zoom that improves it a bit like we were able to do with scroll. Chris tells you how to play with that on the link too.

Beans
    Distro

What happens if you try?
    Code:
    xinput set-prop "Wacom Bamboo Craft Finger touch" --type=float "Device Accel Constant Deceleration" 1.250000
    xinput set-prop "Wacom Bamboo Craft Finger touch" --type=float "Device Accel Adaptive Deceleration" 1.150000
    xinput set-prop "Wacom Bamboo Craft Finger touch" --type=float "Device Accel Velocity Scaling" 10.000000

Beans

much better, it now sets and changes speed accordingly to parameters, great!
    I was stupidly omiting 'Wacom' from the device id, sorry, 4 eyes are often better than 2

Quote Originally Posted by Favux View Post
    What happens if you try?
    Code:
    xinput set-prop "Wacom Bamboo Craft Finger touch" --type=float "Device Accel Constant Deceleration" 1.250000
    xinput set-prop "Wacom Bamboo Craft Finger touch" --type=float "Device Accel Adaptive Deceleration" 1.150000
    xinput set-prop "Wacom Bamboo Craft Finger touch" --type=float "Device Accel Velocity Scaling" 10.000000

Beans
    Distro

Yeah, that trips folks up. Xinput doesn't match keywords like say xorg.conf.d does, so you have to use the entire "device name".

If you settle on some parameters that improve touch speed for you feel free to post them for others. Same applies if you find a better parameter value for zoom.

Beans

Thanks again Favux for all your help.

I'm noticing two strange things with my Bamboo Create that I'm hoping you've seen before.

First - when I use the tablet in GIMP (and not in other programs, which makes this particularly strange) I can only draw every other line, and I'm having trouble selecting options.

When I draw one line (using most all tools, airbrush, paintbrush, etc.) it works perfectly, although it lags behind sometimes. After using the program for a minute it stops me from drawing every other line. In order to make it work I draw a line. Click. Then draw my next line. Click. Draw the next line, etc.

This problem in functionality also extends to selecting tools. Sometimes it prevents me from using popup boxes (say, the scale popup box) or selecting a different tool from the toolbox. If I click on the menubar at the top of the screen, it typically lets me pick a different tool. No amount of clicking restores control, unless I change programs or click on the menu bar at the top of the screen.

Second - whenever I scroll with the tablet using two fingers it scrolls in the opposite direction of my fingers. I'm sure this is just a settings error, but I don't know where to find that option.

Thank you!

Beans
    Distro

whenever I scroll with the tablet using two fingers it scrolls in the opposite direction of my fingers.
    That's the Linux Wacom scroll. It's the opposite of say Synaptic's. Think of it as the screen being a sheet of paper you're grabbing with two fingers and sliding around. You'll get used to it quickly.

when I use the tablet in GIMP (and not in other programs, which makes this particularly strange) I can only draw every other line, and I'm having trouble selecting options.
    Yes, that's a known Natty bug. Probably something in Ubuntu's custom X stack which gets worse in Oneiric. Assuming it's the same bug, which seems likely. Most people found in Natty selecting Classic without desktop effects fixes it. That's in the gear icon on the log in screen. Unfortunately that doesn't work in Oneiric. There you have to disable Gimp's history buffer. There's a PPA with that done: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...mp/+bug/863154 Although even with that I noticed tool selection still seemed a little sticky. But that makes sense since the "fix" is a work around and doesn't actually address the real bug.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Since the two PPAs mentioned in the first post have not been updated for Oneiric, I've created a PPA based on Irie' files.

Changelog entry:
    input-wacom (0.12.0-0ubuntu1~ppa1) oneiric; urgency=low

* New upstream release
    - Support for 3rd generation Bamboo tablets (CTL470/K, CTH470, CTH670)
    * debian/rules, debian/dkms, debian/install:
    - Update kernel version to 2.6.38
    * debian/dkms:
    - Update package version to 0.12.0
    * debian/control:
    * Bump Standards-Version to 3.9.2
    -- Peter Lekensteyn <lekensteyn@gmail.com> Sun, 11 Dec 2011 15:30:47 +0100
    ppa:lekensteyn/wacom-tablet
    (lekensteyn/wacom contained a failure so I started a new repo, hence the longer name)

Beans
    Distro

Thanks Lekensteyn. Your PPA is now linked to in the HOW TO.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Lekensteyn View Post
    Since the two PPAs mentioned in the first post have not been updated for Oneiric, I've created a PPA based on Irie' files.

Changelog entry:

ppa:lekensteyn/wacom-tablet
    (lekensteyn/wacom contained a failure so I started a new repo, hence the longer name)
    How exactly are we supposed to use the ppa?

I'm not sure what I'm supposed to sudo apt-get install

I've tried wacom-tablet and input-wacom but neither is found after sudo apt-get update.

(I'm using the CTL-470/K on Oneiric)

Page 89 of 115 FirstFirst ... 3979878889909199 ... LastLast