Page 90 of 115 FirstFirst ... 40808889909192100 ... LastLast

Thread: HOW TO Set Up the Bamboo Pen & Touch in Lucid

Beans

Re: HOW TO Set Up the Bamboo Pen & Touch in Lucid

During the installation of the wacom.ko I get the following messages :
    Code:
    make[3]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.38-8-generic'
      CC [M]  /home/aviras/input-wacom-0.12.0/2.6.38/wacom_sys.o
    /home/aviras/input-wacom-0.12.0/2.6.38/wacom_sys.c: In function ‘wacom_led_select_store’:
    /home/aviras/input-wacom-0.12.0/2.6.38/wacom_sys.c:645:2: error: implicit declaration of function ‘kstrtouint’
    make[4]: *** [/home/aviras/input-wacom-0.12.0/2.6.38/wacom_sys.o] Error 1
    make[3]: *** [_module_/home/aviras/input-wacom-0.12.0/2.6.38] Error 2
    make[3]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.38-8-generic'
    make[2]: *** [all] Error 2
    make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/aviras/input-wacom-0.12.0/2.6.38'
    make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/aviras/input-wacom-0.12.0'
    make: *** [all] Error 2
    I don't have a wacom.ko file to copy, so I'm sort of stuck here. I'm using 11.04, and my new CTH670, which doesn't respond to anything in ubuntu (although the lighting works).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Hi Aviras,

Welcome to Ubuntu forums!

Works fine in Oneiric so I'm not sure what the difference is. Different includes? This is no good since the problem is the LED backport for the Intuos4 and Cintiq and you don't care about that at all.

So we can ask at linuxwacom-discuss for help. Could be the developer had a 3.0 kernel and didn't realize the 2.6.38 wouldn't compile. There might be a simple fix (for one of them). If it were me I might try to see if commenting the two functions using kstrtouint disables them. Or you could upgrade to Oneiric. Really not much reason to use Natty since Oneiric is so much better. Which is why I don't have Natty anymore to test on. Or we could try removing the LED patches from 0.12.0.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by e.pequeno View Post
    How exactly are we supposed to use the ppa?

I'm not sure what I'm supposed to sudo apt-get install

I've tried wacom-tablet and input-wacom but neither is found after sudo apt-get update.

(I'm using the CTL-470/K on Oneiric)
    Instructions for installing the wacom-dkms package from ppa:lekensteyn/wacom-tablet
    More generic: What are PPAs and how do I use them?

By the way, the package is now available for Natty as well.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Question Re: HOW TO Set Up the Bamboo Pen & Touch in Lucid

Hi, All.

First, thank you for a complete guide to setup Wacom tablet in Ubuntu.
    Second, excuse me for my English.

Now, the story.

I have Wacom Bamboo Pen & Touch tablet, second generation (CTH-460/K). I'm using Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid as a main system and also have Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric as a second system.

Pen, Eraser and Pad tools works pretty good with default drivers in both systems.

The problem is in Touch tool. In 10.04, Touch works, but cursor moves in jerks. In 11.10, Touch works, cursor moves smoothly, but when I remove finger from touch cursor jumps aside.

Couple of weeks ago (30 november 2011), while searching a solution, I have visited this thread for first time. In first post, there was a paragraph stating something like "fixing second generation tablets which uses new 4FT (2FT?) protocol". In that paragraph, there was a mini how-to explaining how to download fixed version of 'input-wacom' (wacom.ko) kernel module for those tablets (four files: wacom.c wacom_sys.c wacom_wac.h wacom_wac.c) and how to compile them (make a Makefile with two shell "echo ... > Makefile" commands). As far as I can remember, that mini how-to suggested to work in 'wacom-usb-fix' directory. I have followed that how-to and it solved my Touch problem in Ubuntu 11.10!

Now, after some time, I come back to this thread to find out, from where those fixed sources come from. What I see? That mini how-to is not here anymore. Instead, there is a statement, that a new release of input-wacom (0.12.0) is now available and have all necessary modifications to solve the touch problem. But it's definitely NOT!

I have compiled recent (git) versions of wacom-input as long as xf86-input-wacom, and have same troubles with Touch as before.

So, my question is: where can I find those fixed 'wacom.ko' sources and/or mini how-to again?

PS. I still have them on my hard drive, but I need to know where they come from and what is their status of inclusion in main input-wacom development tree.

Beans
    Distro

Sorry, I thought from Chris' input-wacom-0.12.0 announcement: http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/f...wacom-announce that the second generation touch fix was included. But I admit I didn't check the code.

Fortunately I try to remember to copy things before deleting them.

Appendix 1: Natty (11.04) or later - fix touch for the new (Oct. 2010) BambooPTs
    The new models, the d6, d7, d8, dA, and dB, have a different USB protocol (because of the 3 & 4FGT of the dA & dB) which is why their touch doesn't work correctly. You can enter lsusb in a terminal to check if you have one. The Wacom line in the output will have the product ID. Unfortunately this fix only works in Natty (2.6.38 ) or later, because earlier releases do not have the mt.h (Multitouch Library) in their kernel's linux-header.

Chris Bagwell has submitted a patch set to the kernel (linux-input) to fix wacom.ko so that it now handles the new USB protocol correctly. Since it is not in input-wacom yet and the kernel.org site is down we'll get the fix from dtor's recent pull request for-linus on github for the 3.1 kernel. We'll create a directory/folder on the Desktop called wacom-usb-fix and download the 4 needed files into it, create a Makefile, and then compile them into a wacom.ko and copy it into place. This assumes you've compiled input-wacom previously and so have already added the needed libraries to your system. Otherwise install them as in part I. above.
    Code:
    cd Desktop

mkdir wacom-usb-fix

cd wacom-usb-fix

wget -O wacom.h "https://github.com/dtor/input/raw/for-linus/drivers/input/tablet/wacom.h"

wget -O wacom_sys.c "https://github.com/dtor/input/raw/for-linus/drivers/input/tablet/wacom_sys.c"

wget -O wacom_wac.c "https://github.com/dtor/input/raw/for-linus/drivers/input/tablet/wacom_wac.c"

wget -O wacom_wac.h "https://github.com/dtor/input/raw/for-linus/drivers/input/tablet/wacom_wac.h"

echo "wacom-objs += wacom_wac.o wacom_sys.o" > Makefile

echo "obj-m += wacom.o" >> Makefile

make -C /lib/modules/$(uname -r)/build SUBDIRS=$(pwd) modules

sudo cp wacom.ko /lib/modules/`uname -r`/kernel/drivers/input/tablet/wacom.ko

sudo depmod -a
    Now reboot.

* instructions courtesy of Chris Bagwell

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Thank you for the quick reply!
    This is exactly what I needed.

Beans
    Distro

Bit of a problem here.

Was working fine till the recent Ubuntu software update (including Kernel updates, I think). Stopped working since then. Tried to "git pull" from the existing "xf86-input-wacom" folder on my desktop, then installed it with "./autogen.sh --prefix=/usr", then "make" and then "sudo make install".

Still isn't working.

EDIT: So I managed to fix it by following:
    Code:
    cd Desktop

cd input-wacom

git pull

./autogen.sh --prefix=/usr

sudo cp ./2.6.38/wacom.ko /lib/modules/`uname -r`/kernel/drivers/input/tablet/wacom.ko

sudo depmod -a
    Works now. Except for that pressure problem. Yup! Still there...

EDIT Again: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...om/+bug/786952
    Is that the same bug that affects me? Apparently it's been closed for Precise. Does that mean it'll be fixed by the next Distro upgrade?
    Last edited by tushantin; December 18th, 2011 at 05:48 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Hi tushantin,

Works now. Except for that pressure problem. Yup! Still there...
    Still don't know what that is about.
    Is that the same bug that affects me?
    Nope, the guy who submitted that one to the kernel used 256 for the number of pressure levels when in fact it was 1024. Although it is interesting to note that the Wacom site claimed it had 512 levels. So the Wacom site supplied information was wrong.

Given that do you want to see if the same problem is happening with your Bamboo1? In other words Wacom said it has 1024 levels, but maybe it is really 2048? If that was true that would likely give you the pressure problem you're describing.

Beans
    Distro

Or it could actually be 512 too. I dunno, just a hunch.

In any case, it wouldn't hurt to try. How do I change it to 2048 or 512?

(BTW, off topic if you don't mind, but do you work for Wacom? XD Just curious.)

EDIT: A useful reference. http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1539151

EDIT Again: I've been reading a thread where Fuduntu mentioned that deleting /etc/X11/xorg.conf will reconfigure it on reboot. If Wacom does depend on xorg, would it have any effect?

And again: Another thing I could try is get myself this: "Needs kernel 3.1 patch backported". I've never dabbled with kernels before, but it sounds like the latest could help somewhat.

AAAAAAANDD agan!: I just noticed something, not sure if it's a useful info. When I hover my pen in MyPaint, not touching the tablet, the brushes still seem to draw on the canvas, though lightly.
    Last edited by tushantin; December 19th, 2011 at 10:57 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Or it could actually be 512 too. I dunno, just a hunch.
    Good point. OK for 2048 (same for 512) in the input-wacom folder you have from cloning the git repository is a directory called /2.6.38. In it you'll see a file called wacom_wac.c. Open that file up and around line #1376 you'll see this entry:
    Code:
    static const struct wacom_features wacom_features_0x6B =
    	{ "Wacom Bamboo1 5x8",    WACOM_PKGLEN_GRAPHIRE,  21648, 13530, 1023,
    	  63, GRAPHIRE, WACOM_INTUOS_RES, WACOM_INTUOS_RES }
    Just change the 1023 to 2047 (or 511 if going the other way), like so:
    Code:
    static const struct wacom_features wacom_features_0x6B =
    	{ "Wacom Bamboo1 5x8",    WACOM_PKGLEN_GRAPHIRE,  21648, 13530, 2047,
    	  63, GRAPHIRE, WACOM_INTUOS_RES, WACOM_INTUOS_RES };
    Then go ahead and compile it and copy the wacom.ko into place as before.

While you could still use the xorg.conf configuration is now usually done through the 50-wacom.conf in xorg.conf.d.

When you compile and install the wacom.ko you are dabbling in the kernel! It is that kernel module/driver they are talking about modifying with the backport.
    When I hover my pen in MyPaint, not touching the tablet, the brushes still seem to draw on the canvas, though lightly.
    That's a proximity thing. Once pressure is working you could try modifying the threshold if needed. See man xsetwacom and man wacom in a terminal.

Page 90 of 115 FirstFirst ... 40808889909192100 ... LastLast