Page 51 of 115 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361101 ... LastLast

Thread: HOW TO Set Up the Bamboo Pen & Touch in Lucid

Beans

Re: HOW TO Set Up the Bamboo Pen & Touch in Lucid

I've got a Bamboo Pen & Touch Medium Special Edition and I've followed the guide up until "Configure the Wacom Bamboo P&T tablet." I'm not sure what to do there. The tablet isn't working and I don't know what to do to check if it's even recognized.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Hi Heliotron,

Welcome to Ubuntu forums!

It sounds like you have the CTH661/L Product ID = 0xdB which is one of the new models. See the box near the top with the models in it. With your model you still need to modify the linuxwacom wacom_wac.c to get your tablet recognized. See the text and link at the bottom of the model box. xf86-input-wacom already has the patches for your model so you're good there.

You can enter:
    Code:
    lsusb
    in a terminal to confirm your mode number.

Beans

So I've got a P&T that has been giving me some trouble. I have two machines I tried it on (henceforth 'laptop' and 'desktop'). On the laptop, I got it set up pretty easily with a fresh install of lucid and everything was working fine. Then I tried it on the desktop and I had a problem where the buttons on the pad will cause the cursor to move to the top left of the screen. So then I ran all upgrades and it doesn't work at all. I booted into the older kernel in Grub and it semi-worked again (same buttons problem). I gave up at that point and when I got to my first machine this morning, after running upgrades, it doesn't work either (even though it use to work perfectly). So then I started installing various kernel builds and trying. This is the result of my experiments:

Code:
    Desktop:
    ----------------
    linux-image-2.6.32-20    pen works, touch works, pad buttons don't
    linux-image-2.6.32-27    nothing works

Laptop:
    ----------------
    linux-image-2.6.32-24    everything works
    linux-image-2.6.32-25    nothing works
    linux-image-2.6.32-26    nothing works

Does this make any sense at all? What could the problem be with the newer kernel builds?

Second question:
    If you're using the x-driver from xf86-input-wacom- 0.10.10, shouldn't you use the kernel driver from input-wacom-10.10, and not from the linuxwacom-0.8.8-10 package?

Beans

Hi Everyone,

this is my first post, so please forgive me any newbie mistakes.

I have CTH-460/K(A) and thanks to this thread finally got it working.
    Big thx and respect to Favux for his persistent help and input!

I use Ubuntu 10.10 (Maverick) 64bit.
    More info:

Code:
    redloff@raccoon:~$ uname -a
    Linux raccoon 2.6.35-24-generic #42-Ubuntu SMP Thu Dec 2 02:41:37 UTC 2010 x86_64 GNU/Linux

redloff@raccoon:~$ lsusb | grep -i wacom
    Bus 002 Device 003: ID 056a:00d6 Wacom Co., Ltd

redloff@raccoon:~$ xinput --list
    ⎡ Virtual core pointer                        id=2    [master pointer  (3)]
    ⎜   ↳ Virtual core XTEST pointer                  id=4    [slave  pointer  (2)]
    ⎜   ↳ HID 413c:8162                               id=11    [slave  pointer  (2)]
    ⎜   ↳ Wacom BambooPT 2FG 4x5 Pen eraser           id=12    [slave  pointer  (2)]
    ⎜   ↳ Wacom BambooPT 2FG 4x5 Pen stylus           id=13    [slave  pointer  (2)]
    ⎜   ↳ Wacom BambooPT 2FG 4x5 Finger pad           id=14    [slave  pointer  (2)]
    ⎜   ↳ Wacom BambooPT 2FG 4x5 Finger touch         id=15    [slave  pointer  (2)]
    ⎜   ↳ Microsoft Microsoft® Nano Transceiver v2.0    id=17    [slave  pointer  (2)]
    ⎜   ↳ Microsoft Microsoft® Nano Transceiver v2.0    id=18    [slave  pointer  (2)]
    ⎜   ↳ SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad                  id=21    [slave  pointer  (2)]
    ⎣ Virtual core keyboard                       id=3    [master keyboard (2)]
        ↳ Virtual core XTEST keyboard                 id=5    [slave  keyboard (3)]
        ↳ Power Button                                id=6    [slave  keyboard (3)]
        ↳ Video Bus                                   id=7    [slave  keyboard (3)]
        ↳ Power Button                                id=8    [slave  keyboard (3)]
        ↳ Sleep Button                                id=9    [slave  keyboard (3)]
        ↳ HID 413c:8161                               id=10    [slave  keyboard (3)]
        ↳ Microsoft Microsoft® Nano Transceiver v2.0    id=16    [slave  keyboard (3)]
        ↳ Laptop_Integrated_Webcam_2M                 id=19    [slave  keyboard (3)]
        ↳ AT Translated Set 2 keyboard                id=20    [slave  keyboard (3)]
        ↳ Dell WMI hotkeys                            id=22    [slave  keyboard (3)]
    Below are the steps that were necessary for me:

1. First I have removed all the stuff that I experimented with earlier, and were not absolutely necessary:

Code:
    apt-get remove --purge xserver-xorg-input-wacom
    apt-get remove --purge wacom-dkms
    2. Downloaded linuxwacom-0.8.8.-10 from http://sourceforge.net/projects/linu...r.bz2/download

3. In linuxwacom sources (wacom_wac.c) I added:
    Code:
    { "Wacom BambooPT 2FG 4x5",  WACOM_PKGLEN_BBFUN,  14720,  9200, 1023, 63, BAMBOO_PT };
    and

Code:
    { USB_DEVICE_WACOM(0xD6) },
    in the respective places mentioned few posts ago in this thread (thx PublicNMI)

4. Got latest xf86-input-wacom with git
    Code:
    git clone git://linuxwacom.git.sourceforge.net/gitroot/linuxwacom/xf86-input-wacom
    5. In xf86-input-wacom sources (wcmUSB.c file) added:

Code:
    { WACOM_VENDOR_ID, 0xD6, 100000, 100000, &usbBamboo     }, /* CTH-460/K */
    6. Compiled kernel module:

Code:
    ./configure --enable-wacom --prefix=/usr
    make
    sudo cp ./src/2.6.30/wacom.ko /lib/modules/`uname -r`/kernel/drivers/input/tablet/wacom.ko
    sudo depmod -a
    7. Compiled xf86-input-wacom:
    Code:
    ./autogen.sh --prefix=/usr
    make
    sudo make install
    8. Enabled kernel module:

Code:
    sudo modprobe wacom
    After enabling the module, finger touch started working, but without pen (stylus).
    The pen however started to work after reboot.

Currently in gimp I have a stylus working very nice - buttons on pen are working as well.
    However finger touch is still very jumpy and not very precise - still working on it.
    Last edited by redloff; January 7th, 2011 at 03:02 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cheshirekow View Post
    Code:
    Desktop:
    ----------------
    linux-image-2.6.32-20    pen works, touch works, pad buttons don't

Laptop:
    ----------------
    linux-image-2.6.32-24    everything works
    linux-image-2.6.32-25    nothing works
    linux-image-2.6.32-26    nothing works
    Does this make any sense at all? What could the problem be with the newer kernel builds?

Second question:
    If you're using the x-driver from xf86-input-wacom- 0.10.10, shouldn't you use the kernel driver from input-wacom-10.10, and not from the linuxwacom-0.8.8-10 package?
    0.8.8-10 provides you with the stable kernel module, while -- as far as I know -- input-wacom-0.10.10 is more experimental.

As for the tablet no longer working with newer kernel versions... Did you rebuild the wacom.ko kernel module after upgrading the kernel? If not, that's what you have to do -- rebuild and cp -- since with each new kernel version Ubuntu's default wacom.ko is being used again.

Quote Originally Posted by redloff View Post
    Currently in gimp I have a stylus working very nice - buttons on pen are working as well.
    However I didn't manage to get eraser to work and the finger touch is still very jumpy and not very precise - still working on it.
    Welcome to the forum.

Is the eraser configured correctly in Gimp's extended input devices -- that is, set to "screen", like the pen?

Beans
    Distro

Hi,

input-wacom-0.10.10 is more experimental
    Yes, and it is different from the wacom.ko in the 2.6.37 kernel. We should stick to the 0.8.8-10 wacom.ko for now. However you'll have to use input-wacom for Natty or the 2.6.36 & 2.6.37 kernels. I've already included it the linuxwacom HOW TO as an alternate section 1 for Natty users along with some explanations.

We may want to switch to input-wacom when the next point release of xf86-input-wacom comes, which will be 0.10.11. They are going to be paired so it will be input-wacom 0.10.11.
    and the finger touch is still very jumpy and not very precise
    Chris has submitted a couple of patch sets that should help with this. One uses another method to ID tablets with touch and the other tries to improve MT (multitouch) signal handling.

Beans

Hello again,

I've been trying to fix jumpy touch issue, but I cannot find
    Code:
    #define BAMBOO_TOUCH_JUMPED 30
    in my git-synchronized xf86-input-wacom sources.
    Should I use different sources or is there another way of dealing with the issue?

Another thing is assigning zoom in/out functions of gimp to pad buttons.
    I tried:

xsetwacom set 14 Button2 "key +"
    xsetwacom set 14 Button3 "key -"

but this doesn't work (no reaction for pressing the buttons), while assigning ctrl+z/ctrl+y to buttons 1 and 4 works great.

Beans
    Distro

Hi redloff,

#define BAMBOO_TOUCH_JUMPED 30
    Got removed a month or two ago with filter changes. They actually didn't fix it, they just removed it. Hopefully the ongoing changes will fix the jumpy touch issue.

Apparently the button assignments got changed in there somewhere. I think for just the Bamboos, but I'm not sure.

Button2 now equals Button6 and Button3 is now Button7. I haven't had a chance to test this yet. Let me know if that works. Will have to change the HOW TO again.

Beans

Hi Favux,

thanks for quick reply.
    In fact Button2 and 3 are working when I assign ctrl+z/ctrl+y to them, so the issue must be somewhere else..

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Hi everybody
    On my computer is rolling Maverick and since few days I got a Wacom Bamboo CTH-461/L, I've been googling and following a lot of howtos but I haven't succeed in setting up the tablet, so basically what I need are some instructions in what to check to find out the actual problem that is not letting me enjoy the bamboo stuff.
    Some info:
    Description: Ubuntu 10.10
    Codename: maverick
    Linux 2.6.35-24-generic #42-Ubuntu SMP Thu Dec 2 01:41:57 UTC 2010 i686 GNU/Linux
    Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.80GHz

~$ lsusb | grep -i wacom
    Bus 003 Device 004: ID 056a:00da Wacom Co., Ltd

xinput --list
    ⎡ Virtual core pointer id=2 [master pointer (3)]
    ⎜ ↳ Virtual core XTEST pointer id=4 [slave pointer (2)]
    ⎜ ↳ Logitech USB Optical Mouse id=11 [slave pointer (2)]
    ⎣ Virtual core keyboard id=3 [master keyboard (2)]
    ↳ Virtual core XTEST keyboard id=5 [slave keyboard (3)]
    ↳ Power Button id=6 [slave keyboard (3)]
    ↳ Power Button id=7 [slave keyboard (3)]
    ↳ PWC snapshot button id=8 [slave keyboard (3)]
    ↳ NOVATEK USB Keyboard id=9 [slave keyboard (3)]
    ↳ NOVATEK USB Keyboard id=10 [slave keyboard (3)]

dmesg | grep Wacom
    [ 38.430022] wacom: v1.52-pc-0.3:USB Wacom tablet driver

modinfo -d wacom
    USB Wacom tablet driver
    USB Wacom tablet driver

xsetwacom -v --list dev
    ... Display is '(null)'.
    ... 'list' requested.

agpgart-intel 0000:00:00.0: Intel 865 Chipset

xserver-xorg-video-intel 2:2.12.0-1ubuntu5.1
    Last edited by andreschandia; January 7th, 2011 at 05:14 PM.

Page 51 of 115 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361101 ... LastLast