Page 94 of 115 FirstFirst ... 44849293949596104 ... LastLast

Thread: HOW TO Set Up the Bamboo Pen & Touch in Lucid

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Re: HOW TO Set Up the Bamboo Pen & Touch in Lucid

Quote Originally Posted by Favux View Post
    Chris did mention there will always be a slight lag until the algorithm for deciding whether it is a scroll or zoom gesture is improved. I gather fingers moving apart or together v.s. parallel. Some non-computationally intensive algorithm which could at least process the first few finger coordinate points to make the discrimination. I believe his guess was it would be some kind of arctangent function. He was soliciting input from the mathematically inclined. I did a quick google to see if there were any publicly available algorithms to look at and use as a starting point, didn't find much.
    This seems like what I'm seeing. Unfortunately I'm not at all mathematically inclined, so wouldn't be any help! Happy to continue testing and reporting though. Just pulled from git last night.

The lag seems to be more noticable when I'm scrolling through long documents. Right now I've got ScrollDistance set at 300 (very high I think!) so that documents don't jump too far when I scroll.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Thought I'd post the touch section of my .xsetwacom.sh for my Bamboo pen and touch (CTH-460) in case anyone's looking for tips for making touch smoother. It's has very smooth fine-grain cursor movement, but also has acceleration set up the way I like it so I can zip around the screen and hit the corners in Gnome Shell with a single movement:

Code:
    ## touch
    xsetwacom set "Wacom Bamboo 2FG 4x5 Finger touch" Touch "on"
    xsetwacom set "Wacom Bamboo 2FG 4x5 Finger touch" Gesture "on"
    xsetwacom set "Wacom Bamboo 2FG 4x5 Finger touch" Suppress "0"
    xsetwacom set "Wacom Bamboo 2FG 4x5 Finger touch" RawSample "4"
    xsetwacom set "Wacom Bamboo 2FG 4x5 Finger touch" Threshold "27"
    xsetwacom set "Wacom Bamboo 2FG 4x5 Finger touch" Mode "Relative"
    xsetwacom set "Wacom Bamboo 2FG 4x5 Finger touch" ZoomDistance "50"  # default is 50
    xsetwacom set "Wacom Bamboo 2FG 4x5 Finger touch" ScrollDistance "300"  # default is 20
    xsetwacom set "Wacom Bamboo 2FG 4x5 Finger touch" TapTime "250"  # 2FG R click, default is 250 ms
    xinput set-prop "Wacom Bamboo 2FG 4x5 Finger touch" "Device Accel Profile" 3
    xinput set-prop "Wacom Bamboo 2FG 4x5 Finger touch" --type=float "Device Accel Adaptive Deceleration" 2.000000
    xinput set-prop "Wacom Bamboo 2FG 4x5 Finger touch" --type=float "Device Accel Velocity Scaling" 0.700000
    xinput set-prop "Wacom Bamboo 2FG 4x5 Finger touch" --type=float "Device Accel Constant Deceleration" 1.000000
    ScrollDistance is set to 300 to avoid big jumps because of corse 2 finger scroll gesture response.

Beans

Unhappy Unable to make work bamboo cth470 on Ubuntu Lucid

Dear ubuntu forum users,

I am trying to make work my new tablet Bamboo pen & touch CTH470 on Ubuntu Lucid 10.04.
    At the time I didn't install it from scratch but I upgraded the previous LTS version.
    My kernel is 2.6.32-37-generic.

I tried to follow the instructions of Favux in the post of June 22 2010.

First I tried to upgrade xorg-macros to xorg-macros v 1.8.
    When I enter "make" the answer is "nothing needs to be done".
    However I ignored this message.
    There is no difference between the file in my Desktop in
    /home/marietta/Desktop/util-macros-1.8.0/xorg-macros.m4 and
    /usr/share/aclocal/xorg-macros.m4
    That is why I also Ignored the message.

After following all the instructions if I type
    lsmod | grep wacom

Nothing shows up.

As you probably can tell I am not at all an expert with linux although I use ubuntu every day.

Thank you very much for any help with this, I will greatly appreciate it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Hi mariru,

Welcome to Ubuntu forums!

Unfortunately you will not be able to get your Bamboo pen & touch CTH470 to work in Lucid. Support for the third generation BambooPTs requires at least Natty (kernel 2.6.38 ). That's because they use a new usb protocol and the touch support for them requires the mt.h (multi-touch header). And mt.h is only available starting with the 2.6.38 kernel. So Natty or Oneiric. This is mentioned in the third generation model notes (near the top of the HOW TO) and the Release Specific Notes. Sorry.

The other issue with your wacom.ko may be that your system is not auto-loading it. Some systems don't for whatever reason. You can "force" the auto-load by adding wacom to the list in the modules file in /etc.
    Code:
    gksudo gedit /etc/modules
    Last edited by Favux; January 23rd, 2012 at 08:30 PM.

Beans

Thanks a lot!
    I will then try to install the new version.

Beans

Hello All,

I've got a Bamboo Capture: CTH-470 and I'm running Ubuntu 11.10 64bit. I had Pen and Touch working prior to the latest kernel update which put me at: 3.0.0-15-generic.

Since the kernel update stepped on my wacom install, I decided to install from the PPA this time:

http://ppa.launchpad.net/lekensteyn/wacom-tablet/ubuntu

As a result, my tablet functions, both Stylus and Touch. However, I am unable to switch the tablet to left hand function FOR TOUCH ONLY. The switch changes correctly for the Pen, just not the touch.

So, I ran:
    Code:
    xsetwacom list
    Output:
    Code:
    Wacom Bamboo 16FG 4x5 Pen stylus	id: 12	type: STYLUS    
    Wacom Bamboo 16FG 4x5 Pen eraser	id: 13	type: ERASER
    I found this interesting that most of the other posts usually show four output settings including one for Touch. Therefore, if I try to run command:

Code:
    xsetwacom set Wacom Bamboo 16FG 4x5 Pen touch Rotate half
    I'm given the response device "Wacom" not found. I can, however run "xsetwacom set Wacom Bamboo 16FG 4x5 Pen stylus Rotate half" without problems.

So I'm stumped on how to swap the Touch rotation to left hand.

Anyone up for suggestions? Thanks in advance
    Last edited by boxcaris; January 28th, 2012 at 01:28 AM. Reason: Added code tags

Beans
    Distro

Hi boxcaris,

Welcome to Ubuntu forums!

The kernel exports two parent device for the BambooPT tablets. Pen and Finger. Touch and the pad (the buttons) are on Finger. So not seeing Finger in the xinput list is the problem. I don't know why that isn't showing up with the PPA as I believe it is enough up to date that it should work. So your command would be something like:
    Code:
    xsetwacom set "Wacom Bamboo 16FG 4x5 Finger touch" Rotate half

Beans

Greetings Favux,

Yes, when I run that command, this is the output I get:

Code:
    Cannot find device 'Wacom Bamboo 16FG 4x5 Finger touch'.

Beans

It is interesting to note that the finger/touch works quite well, just not in the left hand orientation.

Beans
    Distro

It is interesting to note that the finger/touch works quite well, just not in the left hand orientation.
    Without the Finger device showing in xinput list touch shouldn't be working. So that is weird. Could you please post your xinput list output? And what is the output of?
    Code:
    xsetwacom list
    The only thing I can come up with is it is on the evdev driver which is why the xsetwacom rotate command for touch isn't working. But even so it should be in xinput list. We need to take a look at your Xorg.0.log in /var/log and see if that tells us what is going on.

Page 94 of 115 FirstFirst ... 44849293949596104 ... LastLast