Page 91 of 115 FirstFirst ... 41818990919293101 ... LastLast

Thread: HOW TO Set Up the Bamboo Pen & Touch in Lucid

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: HOW TO Set Up the Bamboo Pen & Touch in Lucid

I'll give it a go.

What does "sudo depmod -a" do anyway? Is it even necessary?

EDIT: Okay, tried it. And nope! None of the values work. Interestingly, though, the value "511" actually made the tablet too sensitive. But the pressure break was still there.
    Last edited by tushantin; December 19th, 2011 at 10:43 PM.

Beans
    Distro

depmod -a rebuilds all kernel module dependencies and sudo is for super user/root permission to do that. Makes it less likely that you'll have a problem with the wacom.ko auto-loading.

Alright we gave it a shot. We still don't have a handle on the problem then. I know I've helped several other 6B's set up and as far as I know you're the only one having the pressure problem. So it may be something idiosyncratic to your setup or hardware.

Beans
    Distro

Hmm... I've never formatted the system since Karmic Koala days (just upgraded). Does that explain something? If nothing else, I could try re-formatting the drive with a new Ubuntu installation, but I fear for my data...

Beans
    Distro

Well a clean install is a traditional way to check something out because it removes so many variables caused by updating. But if there is a risk of data loss I wouldn't do it since there's no guarantee it'll fix the problem. I guess you do now have an excuse to examine your backup policies.

Beans

Just wanted to say thanks...got a Bamboo TnP for XMAS and I have been struggling to get it to work properly in Natty.
    Followed the howto pg 1 and got it working like a champ!
    Cheers!

Beans

it is getting frustrating for me. i got a pretty new bamboo pen ctl-470/k and i'm trying to get it working for days now. i'm using natty (linux mint 11) on two systems, one is a 32bit- the other one is 64 bit-system. i tried to run the tablet on ubuntu 10.10 as well, with no luck. it worked out on ubuntu 11.10, but i had problems with the pressure sensivity using gimp and inkscape. upgrading to an unstable gimp (2.7) didn't solve the common problem with the lines. in addition, i don't want to use unity or gnome3 - i don't see the advantage and both are working very slowly on my pc - which is why i'm still running gnome2 on linux mint 11.

i got errors with the lekensteyn ppa and i got almost the same error compiling the input-wacom stuff.

this is the ppa error:

Code:
    Building initial module for 2.6.38-8-generic

Error! Bad return status for module build on kernel: 2.6.38-8-generic (i686)
    Consult the make.log in the build directory
    /var/lib/dkms/wacom/0.12.1/build/ for more information.
    unfortunately, the make.log file is empty.

the compiling error is similar to aviras (posting #891) error message:

Code:
    /home/renato/input-wacom-0.12.1/2.6.38/wacom_sys.c: In function ‘wacom_led_select_store’:
    /home/renato/input-wacom-0.12.1/2.6.38/wacom_sys.c:632:2: error: implicit declaration of function ‘kstrtouint’
    make[4]: *** [/home/renato/input-wacom-0.12.1/2.6.38/wacom_sys.o] Error 1
    make[3]: *** [_module_/home/renato/input-wacom-0.12.1/2.6.38] Error 2
    make[3]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.38-8-generic'
    make[2]: *** [all] Error 2
    make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/renato/input-wacom-0.12.1/2.6.38'
    make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/renato/input-wacom-0.12.1'
    make: *** [all] Error 2
    there is no wacom.ko driver for me to copy.

on 10.10 i compiled without any errors but wasn't able to load the driver after depmod -a and a restart. lsmod shows no output for wacom.

why can't i build the file with my kernel. any suggestions?

Beans
    Distro

Hi [ri:n],

Welcome to Ubuntu forums!

You need at least a 2.6.38 kernel to get the Bamboo Connect Pen working as you know. Since Mint 11 appears to have the 2.6.38 kernel I assume it is the one based on Ubuntu's Natty?

I don't know why you are seeing the:
    Code:
    error: implicit declaration of function ‘kstrtouint’
    with input-wacom. As far as I know that only affects the 2.6.36 and 2.6.37 kernels in the 2.6.36 folder. A commit yesterday fixed the problem for those kernels: http://linuxwacom.git.sourceforge.ne...1d20d040331b1f Is 2.6.38 affected too? If so maybe the same or similar would work. Or is it a Mint specific problem? Your success was on Oneiric (3.0) not Natty.

To fix Gimp in Ubuntu try this PPA: https://launchpad.net/~aapo-rantalai...26-noghostline It is the default Oneiric Gimp version with Alexia Death's "deactivate the history buffer" which is the same reason why 2.7 is suppose to work. It's worked for everyone who has tried it as far as I know.
    Last edited by Favux; January 5th, 2012 at 04:58 PM.

Beans

favux, thank you very much for the quick response on my problems!

yes, mint 11 is based on natty with a 2.6.38 kernel using gnome2.

since there is no newly built input-wacom.tar.bz2, i copied the wacom_sys.c, which i found on the sourceforge link, into my 2.36.8 folder and tried to compile once again. logically i received lots of errors... is there another way to implement the newer file or do i have to wait for a new tar.bz2? since it does not seem to affect the 2.6.38 kernel for most systems, there will be no one trying to solve my kind of issue, right?

Beans
    Distro

I don't have a 2.6.38 kernel to test on. I considered Natty a "Beta 1" and replaced my Natty partitions with Oneiric Beta 1 as soon as it was out. I felt like maybe I'd jumped the gun when I found out about the Gimp problem but now Alexia has fixed that for us. Now Oneiric is a superior "Beta 2".

I haven't heard anyone else reporting that error with 2.6.38 for what that's worth. The commit only applies to the 2.6.36 folder so cloning the input-wacom git repository (appendix 1) won't help you.

I'm not surprised copying the wacom_sys.c from the 2.6.36 folder into the 2.6.38 folder didn't work. What I was thinking was how about manually editing your 2.6.38 folder's wacom_sys.c as per the commit? I noticed the code blocks there are identical. Do you see from the commit what lines you need to add and delete? There's just 10 deletions and 8 insertions. Heck the patch might even apply. You could check if that gets you anywhere when you try to compile.

Beans

wow, it worked out. i replaced two parts between the { } with kstrtouint in it. first one starting at line 628. i finally compiled the driver without any errors.

edit: i tried lsmod, but there was no output. i plugged the bamboo in and powww... there it is

Code:
    renato@latitude ~ $ lsmod | grep wacom
    wacom                  46655  0
    thanks!!!
    Last edited by [ri:n]; January 5th, 2012 at 08:18 PM. Reason: it works!

Page 91 of 115 FirstFirst ... 41818990919293101 ... LastLast