Page 83 of 115 FirstFirst ... 3373818283848593 ... LastLast

Thread: HOW TO Set Up the Bamboo Pen & Touch in Lucid

Beans

Re: HOW TO Set Up the Bamboo Pen & Touch in Lucid

Hello,

I'm using a bamboo pen and touch (CTH 461) on my ubuntu oneiric. Everything works fine. But, as I always want more, I have a question.

I use it through the Synaptic Driver cause I prefer the feeling of the touch and I don't use much the zoom.

However, I'd like to change the express keys. And even have two different scripts depending on the application I'm using. Is it possible ?

I could go back to use Xsetwacom, but I think the touch is too sensitive and I can not use the tap-and-drag. So, if you have a solution...

Thanks a lot !

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Hi jimss,

I haven't looked much at setting the pad buttons with Synaptic but I doubt it allows you the key combinations like xsetwacom does. Because touch and pad are on the same parent device you can't separate them and put touch on Synaptic and pad on xf86-input-wacom unfortunately.

Chris Bagwell has submitted some touch and gesture improvements to xf86-input-wacom that have been committed and some more are pending (scroll/zoom). I've noticed an improvement. So at least give the Wacom driver a shot. To get them clone xf86-input-wacom (part II. c) since they are not yet in a point release.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Favux View Post
    Hi amonpaike,

Welcome to Ubuntu forums!

Nice work around! Thank you for sharing it.

So you can compile input-wacom on Oneiric's 3.0 kernel. How 'bout that? The Intuos4's will be happy because now they can get the OLED back port.
    with classic comand ./autogen.sh –prefix=/usr the the module do not compile.

i have have googled the direct make metod and i have solved my problems.

i have an bamboo pen and it work perfectly:
    work the pen pression.
    no more switches artifacts on gimp and desktop >>>> EDIT<<<<<< the problem on gimp is not solved only "reduced"
    no more border screen problem... (hold hold problem on bamboo pen.)
    Last edited by amonpaike; October 17th, 2011 at 08:49 PM.

Beans
    Distro

>>>> EDIT<<<<<< the problem on gimp is not solved only "reduced"
    See: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...mp/+bug/863154

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Just following up on my express key issue.

In Gimp the default keyboard shortcut for Fill FG Color is "CTRL-," and the default shortcut for Fill BG Color is "CTRL-."

Using xsetwacom I was unable to set these two functions to express keys on my pad and have it work. Further I was unable to get the express keys mapped within Gimp by using the Extended Input device settings. This last failure is probably user error, and I simply did not bother to pursue solving this problem.

What I did do is remap the default keyboard shortcuts in Gimp, Fill FG Color is now CTRL-ALT-F and BG color is CTRL-ALT-B. Using xsetwacom I can map those combinations to express keys and it works just fine.

This workaround seems the easiest possible solution to my problem, although I admit it is perhaps not the most elegant nor proper way to solve my issue.

It would be awesome if xsetwacom would recognize some of the punctuation keys as modifiers in addition to the already extensive list it supports... but patching that in is beyond my ability ;)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Hi all,

first of all, many thanks for all the exhaustive and helpful information in this thread!!

I just upgraded to Ubuntu 11.10 a few days ago, and use a script to configure my Bamboo CTH-460 as follows:

Code:
    carsten@Ubuntu-Home:~$ xsetwacom list

Wacom Bamboo 2FG 4x5 Pen stylus     id: 12  type: STYLUS
    Wacom Bamboo 2FG 4x5 Finger touch   id: 13  type: TOUCH
    Wacom Bamboo 2FG 4x5 Pen eraser     id: 15  type: ERASER
    Wacom Bamboo 2FG 4x5 Finger pad     id: 16  type: PAD

carsten@Ubuntu-Home:~$ cat ./.xsetwacom.sh

xsetwacom set "Wacom Bamboo 2FG 4x5 Finger touch" Touch "off"
    xsetwacom set "Wacom Bamboo 2FG 4x5 Finger touch" Gesture "off"

xsetwacom set "Wacom Bamboo 2FG 4x5 Pen stylus" Button 1 "3"  # left mouse click
    xsetwacom set "Wacom Bamboo 2FG 4x5 Pen stylus" Button 2 "1"  # right mouse click
    xsetwacom set "Wacom Bamboo 2FG 4x5 Pen stylus" Button 3 "2"  # middle mouse click
    #xsetwacom set "Wacom Bamboo 2FG 4x5 Pen stylus" Suppress "2"  # data trimmed, 0-100
    #xsetwacom set "Wacom Bamboo 2FG 4x5 Pen stylus" RawSample "12"  # default is 4
    #xsetwacom set "Wacom Bamboo 2FG 4x5 Pen stylus" ClickForce "6"  # 1-21
    #xsetwacom set "Wacom Bamboo 2FG 4x5 Pen stylus" PressCurve "5 10 90 95"
    #xsetwacom set "Wacom Bamboo 2FG 4x5 Pen stylus" TPCButton "on"
    xsetwacom set "Wacom Bamboo 2FG 4x5 Pen stylus" Mode "Absolute"  # or Relative

xsetwacom set "Wacom Bamboo 2FG 4x5 Finger pad" Button 3 "1"  # right mouse click
    xsetwacom set "Wacom Bamboo 2FG 4x5 Finger pad" Button 2 "key alt left"  # Back a page in FireFox
    xsetwacom set "Wacom Bamboo 2FG 4x5 Finger pad" Button 4 "key backspace"
    xsetwacom set "Wacom Bamboo 2FG 4x5 Finger pad" Button 1 "key ctrl t"  # toggle touch script
    (Note that I use a left-handed mouse setup.)

However, I have a problem with using the pen tip for left mouse clicks that I'm unable to solve:

I can use the pen to move the pointer, and touching the tablet surface with the pen tip indeed seems to trigger a "left mouse button down" event. That is, I can properly click on tabs in Firefox for tab switching, can select text, etc.

However, raising the tip from the tablet does not only trigger a "left mouse button up" event, but it also temporarily moves the mouse cursor into the screens top right corner (or top left, if I use right handed mouse setup).

The result is the same as if you press down the LMB over a control like an "OK" button, then move the mouse outside the "OK" control rectangle, and then release the LMB. It will not activate the "OK" control, because the mouse cursor left its rectangle before the "LMB up" event.

How can I fix this?

I'd be very grateful for your help, and a thousand thanks in advance!

Beans
    Distro

Hi CarstenF,

Since you are in Oneiric the default xf86-input-wacom would be 0.11.0.

There have been changes to some of the xsetwacom Parameters, see: http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawik...arameter_Names and man xsetwacom in a terminal.

For example TPCButton should be TabletPCButton.

Also I don't follow your stylus button assignment. By default the stylus tip (Button 1) is assigned "1" which is a left mouse click. You can change the stylus side switch buttons Button 2 and Button 3. Say swapping "2" (middle click) and "3" (right click).

If that doesn't straighten things out you're probably encountering the current Oneiric bug for tablets: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...mp/+bug/863154

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Hi Favux,
    thank you very much for your quick reply!

Since you are in Oneiric the default xf86-input-wacom would be 0.11.0.

There have been changes to some of the xsetwacom Parameters, see: http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawik...arameter_Names and man xsetwacom in a terminal.

For example TPCButton should be TabletPCButton.
    Yes, thanks, I started with an example configuration file of yours about a year ago, but then commented out most settings when the paramaters changed.

Btw., is there more documentation available about the parameters?
    The man page only documents one (MapToOutput), and http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawik...itle=Xsetwacom documents only five...

(In fact, I'm not even sure what the difference between "Finger touch" and "Finger pad" is, and why each of them seems to have buttons...)

Also I don't follow your stylus button assignment. By default the stylus tip (Button 1) is assigned "1" which is a left mouse click.
    Well, but only if the mouse is set to right-handed use.
    If you switch to left-handed mouse use, then the default assignment of "1" to the stylus tip acts like a right mouse button click, and I have to assign "3" in order to make it left-click.

Please note that my problem occurs in both cases:

• Left-handed mouse setting and "1" assigned to the stylus tip (all defaults), and alternatively
    • Right-handed mouse setting and "3" assigned to the stylus tip:

In both cases, the stylus tip acts as left-mouse button click, but it seems to initiate a LMB down event, then briefly moves the pointer to the upper left or upper right corner of the display, then moves it back to the pen position, and only then initiates the LMB up event.

The "jump" in mouse pointer position between the LMB down and LMB up events causes my problem: I cannot click most UI elements.

(The "jump" is barely visible, it's only a very brief flicker of the mouse pointer in the top left or right display corners.)

You can change the stylus side switch buttons Button 2 and Button 3. Say swapping "2" (middle click) and "3" (right click).
    Yes, thanks. Is there a list available somewhere, which number means which mouse action?

If that doesn't straighten things out you're probably encountering the current Oneiric bug for tablets: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...mp/+bug/863154
    Hmmm. If I understand this correctly, they're talking about Gimp, but my problem is in every application.

Ok, I hope that my above description regarding LMB up/down is clear enough to illustrate the problem. Please let me know if it isn't (I'm not a native English speaker, sorry ), but I can make a set of screenshots if it helps to describe the problem?
    Last edited by CarstenF; October 24th, 2011 at 08:54 AM. Reason: replaced wrong "LBM" with correct "LMB" (left mouse button)

Beans
    Distro

Btw., is there more documentation available about the parameters?
    The man page only documents one (MapToOutput), and http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawik...itle=Xsetwacom documents only five...
    The mediawiki only has ones that we felt had quirks that required more explanation along with the table of changed Parameter names. man xsetwacom should have about 14 of the Parameters. Partly because of my whining Peter put a table into the code and when you enter an old xsetwacom Parameter in an xsetwacom command in a terminal it should return the new parameter name.
    I'm not even sure what the difference between "Finger touch" and "Finger pad" is, and why each of them seems to have buttons...
    Unlike most Wacom tablets a BambooPT has two parent devices Pen and Finger, see: http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawik...ets_with_Touch And the pad is a daughter device of Finger. You can think of the parent device Finger being the equivalent of touch just like you can think of the parent device Pen as the stylus, with eraser the daughter device. So with most Wacom tablets you can use tablet and stylus interchangeably since they essentially describe the same thing. And obviously the Pad (express keys) have buttons and touch needs a "button" assignment so it will left click (and two finger right click).
    Well, but only if the mouse is set to right-handed use.
    If you switch to left-handed mouse use, then the default assignment of "1" to the stylus tip acts like a right mouse button click, and I have to assign "3" in order to make it left-click.
    Sure, but that doesn't apply to a stylus does it? BambooPT's don't have a Wacom tablet mouse (cursor).

Just discovered that using xsetwacom to set the stylus tip/Button 1 to left click i.e. 1 (the driver default) seems to cause the problem you are describing. Maybe since Natty, so xf86-input-wacom-0.11.10? Since that is the driver default I don't use that xsetwacom command in my scripts so I was oblivious to the problem. So that may be your problem. I have to see if the same thing happens if I assign a Pad button to left click.

So maybe they inadvertently broke setting left click with xsetwacom? Possibly with some of the changes they made to accommodate multi-touch?
    Is there a list available somewhere, which number means which mouse action?
    I haven't found one. So I guess the list is the X input code. I have a partial list of the ones I could recall in the button stuff on the HOW TO.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

man xsetwacom should have about 14 of the Parameters.
    Hmmm. Maybe a version issue?
    For me, man xsetwacom ends like this:
    Code:
    PARAMETERS
           MapToOutput output
                  Map  the  tablet's input area to the given output (e.g. "VGA1"). The output must specify one of those available through the
                  XRandR extension. A list of outputs may be obtained with the xrandr tool. The output mapping configuration  is  a  once-off
                  setting  and  does  not  track  output  reconfigurations;  the command needs to be re-run whenever the output configuration
                  changes. When used with tablet rotation, the tablet must be rotated before it is mapped to the new screen.  This  parameter
                  is write-only and cannot be queried.

AUTHORS
           Peter Hutterer <peter.hutterer@redhat.com>

SEE ALSO
           Xorg(1), wacom(4), xorg.conf(5), X(7)

X Version 11                                             xf86-input-wacom 0.10.8                                             xsetwacom(1)
    Unlike most Wacom tablets a BambooPT has two parent devices Pen and Finger, see: http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawik...ets_with_Touch And the pad is a daughter device of Finger. You can think of the parent device Finger being the equivalent of touch just like you can think of the parent device Pen as the stylus, with eraser the daughter device. So with most Wacom tablets you can use tablet and stylus interchangeably since they essentially describe the same thing. And obviously the Pad (express keys) have buttons and touch needs a "button" assignment so it will left click (and two finger right click).
    Ahh, ok! Many thanks for that explanation!

Sure, but that doesn't apply to a stylus does it? BambooPT's don't have a Wacom tablet mouse (cursor).
    Well, besides the BambooPT, I have a normal Logitech USB mouse attached, and use both the mouse and and Bamboo alternatingly to move the mouse cursor.
    As I'm left-handed, I normally set the mouse to left-handed use in the mouse settings as well, which swaps the left and right buttons not only on the Logitech mouse, but changes the default action of the tip of the stylus to right-click as well. Thus my attempt to assign "3" (left-click with mouse set to left-handed mode) to button 1 of the stylus...

Just discovered that using xsetwacom to set the stylus tip/Button 1 to left click i.e. 1 (the driver default) seems to cause the problem you are describing. Maybe since Natty, so xf86-input-wacom-0.11.10? Since that is the driver default I don't use that xsetwacom command in my scripts so I was oblivious to the problem. So that may be your problem.
    Yes yes yes!!!! Thank you very much for that hint!
    I just did the inverse of what you described: Re-set my ("Logitech") mouse to left-handed, and removed the xsetwacom commands for setting the stylus tip as well. That is, everything back to the defaults. And now it works as expected: Normal LMB operation for the stylus tip!
    (I still would prefer to have the buttons on the Logitech mouse the other way round, but that's really something I can live with.)

Not sure when this "jump" behaviour started though: At work I have a Ubuntu 10.04 box with an older Wacom tablet that may experience exactly the same issues (right now I suspect that it only works by accident, because all of its settings happen to be at their defaults) --- I'll check the details first thing tomorrow when back in office.

I have to see if the same thing happens if I assign a Pad button to left click.
    I tried that, too, but assigning LBM to one of the buttons seemed to work only with some / a subset of the Pad buttons.

I have a partial list of the ones I could recall in the button stuff on the HOW TO.
    Ok, thank you very much for everything!!

As you are a lot more involved in all this than I am, would you mind relaying my bug report to the right folks? Or should I report it at the Linux Wacom project? (Or elsewhere?)

Page 83 of 115 FirstFirst ... 3373818283848593 ... LastLast