Page 80 of 115 FirstFirst ... 3070787980818290 ... LastLast

Thread: HOW TO Set Up the Bamboo Pen & Touch in Lucid

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: HOW TO Set Up the Bamboo Pen & Touch in Lucid

Since it isn't auto-loading we place wacom (for wacom.ko) at the bottom of the list in the modules file in /etc. That will "force" it to load. Edit with:
    Code:
    gksudo gedit /etc/modules
    and reboot.

For whatever reasons the wacom.ko won't autoload on some systems.

Beans
    Distro

It works now! Thank you very much, Favux!

Just a small problem, however. I tried sketching in GIMP, and the pressure sensitivity is great, but I've noticed that when I draw quickly (for instance, drawing strands of hair or crosshatches) the pen has some delay, or lags a bit. One stroke done, second stroke never happens, then third stroke goes well. The same problem persists when I draw something and suddenly speed the brush in a certain direction. This problem never existed when I used Genius tablet a year ago.

Could this be a driver issue or is it the Tablet fault, in case someone's familiar with it?

Beans
    Distro

Good!

No that's a Unity/Compiz thing. When you boot, at the log in screen choose Classic Mode or Classic without effects and it should be OK. I think I saw someone say if you disable Vblanc synch(?) in Compiz (using CCSM, the Compiz configuration gui) that also works.

Beans
    Distro

Ah, you're right about that. Tried the tablet in dA Muro and it worked flawlessly. I'll try disabling that setting and see what happens.

I'm a happy man today. Thank you very much!

Beans

Hi, I'm a new Bamboo (CT-460, 056a:00d4) user, with a slightly complicated infrastructure: MacBookPro running Lion 10.7, then Parallels-6, then Ubuntu-10.04 as a guest. My tablet is connected to the Linux guest (i.e., shows up in lsusb, modules loaded, etc). Tablet works OK (pressure sensitive in Gimp, etc) ... BUT ...

The X cursor doesn't follow the tablet pen at all. When I draw on the tablet, Gimp shows a brush outline when I hover the pen, and draws, pressure-sensitive, with current brush when I touch, but when I try to go to the toolbox to pick a different tool or color or something, there's no visual feedback.

If I click randomly in the general area of the toolbar, sometimes I can change tools or colors, but it's REALLY REALLY hard to do.

I think this is an X configuration problem, not a Bamboo hardware or driver problem, but I've never had a tablet before, so I don't know: are you supposed to get some sort of cursor that tracks the pen, outside of the drawing window, and allows you to pick things from the toolbox? (I tried picking tools and changing colors using the mouse, but that appears to change the parameters for the mouse cursor only. If I draw with the mouse, then it uses the mouse-picked colors. But if I draw with the pen, it switches back to whatever the last pen-picked tool and color was.)

TIA for any help!
    Last edited by spacewrench; September 15th, 2011 at 07:30 PM. Reason: [add email subscription]

Beans
    Distro

Hi spacewrench,

Welcome to Ubuntu forums!

are you supposed to get some sort of cursor that tracks the pen, outside of the drawing window, and allows you to pick things from the toolbox?
    Yes. Don't know what's wrong. I assume in Edit>Preferences>Configure Extended Input devices you've configured the stylus to Screen in Mode because you have pressure?

What happens if you go into Edit>Preferences>Windows Management, and set both the Hint for the toolbox and Hint for other docks to "Normal window"?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Favux View Post
    Yes. Don't know what's wrong. I assume in Edit>Preferences>Configure Extended Input devices you've configured the stylus to Screen in Mode because you have pressure?
    Yes, drawing in the main window works ok (and has a "paintbrush" cursor indicator, although the regular X cursor, which is connected to the mouse, doesn't disappear).

Quote Originally Posted by Favux View Post
    What happens if you go into Edit>Preferences>Windows Management, and set both the Hint for the toolbox and Hint for other docks to "Normal window"?
    "Must restart to change this setting" ... but no different after restart.

Thanks for the quick response, btw!

Adding:

Something is definitely weird. Using the mouse, I can do most things, but I _can't_ draw in the image window. (Perhaps I disabled the mouse in the Input Preferences?) Also, using xev, I can see Button Press / Button Release and MotionNotify events from the tablet, but no visual feedback at all.

Adding even more:

It appears to be a problem with the Parallels virtualization. Even though my various /dev/input/.... files produce data, indicating that the devices are connected, it looks like Parallels is doing something tricky with the mouse cursor and/or video drive. When I use (only) the Wacom driver, there's no X cursor at all, but if you can guess where the cursor is, you can click & etc as normal. However, the EXACT SAME THING happens if you use the standard X "mouse" driver -- no X cursor, but things happen if you guess where the cursor is.

Under a Linux guest OS running under Parallels-6 on Mac OSX Lion 10.7, you MUST use the special Parallels "prlmouse" driver to get X cursor display.

Gotta call Parallels tech support next!
    Last edited by spacewrench; September 15th, 2011 at 10:04 PM. Reason: to add extra info

Beans

Hi Faux, I'm having a problem with my Bamboo Fun CTH-461 (Registers in Kubuntu as Bamboo Craft CTH-461).

When I hover the pen over the tablet, and move it around, the cursor follows the pen, as it should, and when I touch the pen to the tablet, it continues to follow the pen, until I pull it away, at which point the cursor freezes. When I touch the pen back to the tablet, the cursor jumps to where the pen is touching and follows again like it should, but it won't follow the pen unless I pull it out of range of the tablet and then bring it back to just above the tablet.

I've been googling like crazy searching for an answer to this, and that's how I found your post. I tried everything in part one that pertains to my distro/kernel but with no luck.

I'm using Lucid 2.6.32-24-generic if that helps.

Beans
    Distro

Hi cobaltwarrior19,

Welcome to Ubuntu forums!

Could you post the output of the command xinput list in a terminal?

Beans

⎡ Virtual core pointer id=2 [master pointer (3)]
    ⎜ ↳ Virtual core XTEST pointer id=4 [slave pointer (2)]
    ⎜ ↳ Wacom Bamboo Craft Pen id=10 [slave pointer (2)]
    ⎜ ↳ Wacom Bamboo Craft Finger id=11 [slave pointer (2)]
    ⎜ ↳ Microsoft Microsoft Wireless Optical Mouse® 1.00 id=12 [slave pointer (2)]
    ⎜ ↳ SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad id=15 [slave pointer (2)]
    ⎜ ↳ Macintosh mouse button emulation id=16 [slave pointer (2)]
    ⎜ ↳ Mouseemu virtual mouse id=19 [slave pointer (2)]
    ⎣ Virtual core keyboard id=3 [master keyboard (2)]
    ↳ Virtual core XTEST keyboard id=5 [slave keyboard (3)]
    ↳ Video Bus id=6 [slave keyboard (3)]
    ↳ Video Bus id=7 [slave keyboard (3)]
    ↳ Power Button id=8 [slave keyboard (3)]
    ↳ Sleep Button id=9 [slave keyboard (3)]
    ↳ Laptop Integrated Webcam id=13 [slave keyboard (3)]
    ↳ AT Translated Set 2 keyboard id=14 [slave keyboard (3)]
    ↳ Dell WMI hotkeys id=17 [slave keyboard (3)]