Page 63 of 115 FirstFirst ... 1353616263646573113 ... LastLast

Thread: HOW TO Set Up the Bamboo Pen & Touch in Lucid

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Current State for ID 056a:00d6 - The latest Pen & Touch

Hello Fennec,

I also have the new Model (lsusb -> Bus 002 Device 003: ID 056a:00d6 Wacom Co., Ltd ) and could not get it to work.

Here is what I did (with some help of Favux over the mailing List):

If you have the Dr Mo PPA among your repositories, remove it - it did NOT work with my device. (Of course this will probably change very soon

Code:
    sudo apt-get purge wacom-dkms xserver-xorg-input-wacom
    Get it going from IRIE Shinsuke's PPA

Code:
    sudo add-apt-repository ppa:irie/wacom
    then of course

Code:
    sudo apt-get install wacom-dkms xserver-xorg-input-wacom
    After a Reboot Pen & Touch are working.

Now to the interesting bit... Setting it all up the way i want it too.

@FAVUX: I am getting an error trying to grap your sample scripts from Post #1 - Am i clicking the button wrong?

Beans

Re: HOW TO Set Up the Bamboo Pen & Touch in Lucid

aaaaalex,

you're a god! this makes my p&t start working! thx!

but eraser doesn't work with default settings.
    Last edited by Fenec; March 9th, 2011 at 10:37 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Favux. Thank you very much for all your assistance; this is encouraging.

Quote Originally Posted by Favux View Post
    Try playing with the xinput commands under "Touch & Gesture Tips", especially the first one.
    Touch is now working decently enough that I've unplugged my mouse. I'm still getting very limited gesture support and any vertical movement causes the cursor to be very jumpy (cursor stops and starts). The right-click gesture often works, but left-click, scrolling etc are all AWOL. Horizontal only movement is working fine.

I'm using the xsetwacom.sh script from post #1 as well as the corresponding x.conf.d files. Are these up-to-date with the discussions later on in the thread? Is there any way to dump tablet events to avoid trial-and-error tuning? Nothing I've done so far seems to reliably improve gesture recognition.

Thanks!
    Derek

Beans
    Distro

Hi Derek,

If your xf86-input-wacom is older than about a week reclone it. Yes we're back to cloning. Chris added an important change for single finger left click 7 days ago and you'll want it. See if that helps with the gestures. To get everything you use the xsetwacom get command with the "all" parameter. I just added some of that stuff to man xsetwacom so you'll get that too with a reclone.

Also new stuff just added to the linuxwacom project mediawiki:
    http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawik..._Configuration
    http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawik...le=Xorg.conf.d
    http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawik...ets_with_Touch

I've spent a bit of time on this stuff so hopefully someone will look at it. Hope it answers some of your questions.

@inof8or,

I'm not sure where you are. Have you told us your tablet model? Enter lsusb in a terminal. It's the product ID we want. You only used one PPA right, not both? It's looking like Martin's doesn't support the 5 latest models yet. IRIE's does because he has input-wacom in it, see last few posts above. If you did install both you need to remove Martin's through Synaptic so the dkms stuff with it stops interfering.

@niroma,

Not sure what's going on with the Pen. Martin's PPA or doing Part I should support it. The same as for Tanargbob above. What do you see when you enter xinput list in a terminal? Thinking about it I seem to vaguely remember the Pen accidentally being left out of one of the kernels but I didn't think that affected Lucid or Maverick and besides it got fixed.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Is there a list of supported gestures somewhere that I missed? I'm looking forward to MT/gesture support in Natty and beyond. I'm using this pad to avoid aggravating a repetitive stress injury, so if I can avoid going back and forth to my keyboard very often it will be good.

Yes we're back to cloning. Chris added an important change for single finger left click 7 days ago and you'll want it. See if that helps with the gestures.
    Left click is working now (though its too sensitive), right-click is not sensitive enough, scrolling doesn't seem to work at all, and zoom usually doesn't work.

I've been trying to make left-click less sensitive by increasing the Threshold -- at first this works, but over time the threshold seems to drop, to the point where the lightest touch on the tablet to move the cursor is closing windows, following links in Chrome, and so forth.

Vertical motion is much better, but is still a little bumpy -- when the vertical tracking stops it feels like that is when a random left-click is likely to occur.

Right-click sometimes works and sometimes just causes my cursor to jump (as if I were using a single-touch pad).

Scrolling and Zooming are pretty much non-functional, though when I try the pinch gestures my browser pages sometimes zoom out.

Also new stuff just added to the linuxwacom project mediawiki:
    http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawik..._Configuration
    http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawik...le=Xorg.conf.d
    http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawik...ets_with_Touch

I've spent a bit of time on this stuff so hopefully someone will look at it. Hope it answers some of your questions.
    They did answer some questions -- for example since I am using X 1.9 I found out why 2 out of my 4 x.org.d wacom sections were not doing anything for me. Thanks!

Beans
    Distro

At this point I'm not sure why you are having troubles. I'm not seeing them, although zoom does kind of lag. You've cleaned up the xorg.conf.d. Did you check to make sure you don't have 2 xsetwacom executables (see Troubleshooting).

For scrolling have you tried changing your ScrollDistance, maybe from 20 to 18 and see if that makes it more sensitive? And try playing with ZoomDistance.

For right click one finger is down and then you tap with the second finger. Not both fingers at once.

No list but they are:
    single finger left click
    double finger right click
    two finger vertical and horizontal scroll
    pinch zoom

Beans

Hi Favux,

I have installed the PPA from Martin but it makes no differens to the pen functioning.

xinput list gives:
    ⎡ Virtual core pointer id=2 [master pointer (3)]
    ⎜ ↳ Virtual core XTEST pointer id=4 [slave pointer (2)]
    ⎜ ↳ Wacom Bamboo 4x5 Pen id=8 [slave pointer (2)]
    ⎜ ↳ Wacom Bamboo 4x5 Finger id=9 [slave pointer (2)]
    ⎜ ↳ ImExPS/2 Generic Explorer Mouse id=11 [slave pointer (2)]
    ⎜ ↳ Macintosh mouse button emulation id=12 [slave pointer (2)]
    ⎣ Virtual core keyboard id=3 [master keyboard (2)]
    ↳ Virtual core XTEST keyboard id=5 [slave keyboard (3)]
    ↳ Power Button id=6 [slave keyboard (3)]
    ↳ Power Button id=7 [slave keyboard (3)]
    ↳ AT Translated Set 2 keyboard id=10 [slave keyboard (3)]

uname -r
    2.6.32-29-generic-pae

I have also tried Iries PPA but it doesen't support Lucid (10.04) at all.

I found this bug report yesterday, which describes exactly my problem:
    http://www.mail-archive.com/ubuntu-b...sg2787279.html

How can I revert back to the previous xserver-xorg-input-wacom?

Thank you for helping us "not knowings" out!

Beans
    Distro

Alright go to Synaptics and remove Martin's PPA. Hopefully that will remove the dkms stuff too which will otherwise get in the way. Sounds like the PPA doesn't work for the pae kernel.

With the pae kernel my guess is when you're doing part I. to compile the wacom.ko you need to change:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install linux-headers-generic
    to
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install linux-headers-generic-pae
    You could enter your kernel number in Search in Synaptics and check if there is a headers like that. It would look something like linux-headers-2.6.32-29-generic-pae. If so then we're probably on the right track. You'll have it when you see in the configure output, near the end where the will/can build table is, if it shows wacom.o yes.

Beans

I have a Bamboo P&T (0xD6) on a dual-mon setup and the pen works fine. With touch, however, it's very choppy. It can't be a hardware issue because it's very smooth on Windows. I haven't done any configuration in 50-wacom.conf or xorg.conf because I don't think configuring touch there should make much difference -- or should it?

Does anyone know how I can make it less choppy?

Thanks a lot

Beans
    Distro

Hi dayzman,

Touch shouldn't be choppy with the current xf86-input-wacom. What release of Ubuntu are you using? And you're right xorg.conf.d or xorg.conf configuration probably wouldn't make a difference.

Instead of choppy do you mean maybe over accelerated?

Page 63 of 115 FirstFirst ... 1353616263646573113 ... LastLast