Page 55 of 115 FirstFirst ... 545535455565765105 ... LastLast

Thread: HOW TO Set Up the Bamboo Pen & Touch in Lucid

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: HOW TO Set Up the Bamboo Pen & Touch in Lucid

Hi Uncle Quag,

Additional note: I didn't install the 10.10 X Driver since I'm running Maverick...

According to synaptic, I'm running xserver-xorg-input-wacom version 1:0.10.8-0ubuntu1. Should I dump that and go for the 10.10 version
    That's the problem. Your model is not in the default Maverick 0.10-8 xf86-input-wacom X driver. You would either need to patch it for your model or update to 0.10.10+ (part II.). Remember touch is currently broken but your stylus/eraser/pad should work. Fixes for touch have already been submitted but not yet committed.

Beans

Hello,

Thank you very much for sharing your knowledge and taking the time to post this great tutorial.

I have a (CTH460/K; Product ID = 0xd6) and with your tutorial now I have pen and eraser functions. Touch is not working as you describe. I tryed doing the synaptic trick but that didn't affect anything.

I'd like to point out that I dont know which xf86-input-wacom I cloned via git. I guess it's 0.10.10 since "xsetwacom -V" outputs such a version number. If indeed it is 0.10.10, how can I install 0.10.8 via git so I can test touch functions?

Also the xsetwacom script outputted some errors:

root@tachikoma:/home/jitsu# sh .xsetwacom.sh
    Property 'Wacom Hover Click' does not exist on device.
    Property 'Wacom Sample and Suppress' does not exist on device.
    Property 'Wacom Sample and Suppress' does not exist on device.
    Property 'Wacom Pressure Threshold' does not exist on device.
    Property 'Wacom Pressurecurve' does not exist on device.
    X Error of failed request: BadMatch (invalid parameter attributes)
    Major opcode of failed request: 143 (XInputExtension)
    Minor opcode of failed request: 28 (X_GetDeviceButtonMapping)
    Serial number of failed request: 15
    Current serial number in output stream: 15
    X Error of failed request: XI_BadMode (invalid Mode parameter)
    Major opcode of failed request: 143 (XInputExtension)
    Minor opcode of failed request: 5 (X_SetDeviceMode)
    Mode id in failed request: 0x17
    Serial number of failed request: 15
    Current serial number in output stream: 15
    I'm attaching the modified xsetwacom script placed at the home directory.

Also is it possible to disable touch functions ? Because if getting touch gestures (or just plain cursor function) is not an option for my table + linux then I rather have that variable out of the equation for the time being.

Well sorry for the long post and again thank you for sharing =],

J.M.

ps I'm running Debian Squeeze with 2.6.32-5 kernel
    Attached Files Attached Files

Beans
    Distro

Hi jamo88,

Cloning the git gets you 0.10.10+. In other words 0.10.10 plus commits added since its release.

The point release tars are available here: http://sourceforge.net/projects/linu...6-input-wacom/

Don't use .9 or the .10 tars because of the known pad bug.

Patches to fix the TPCButton were just committed. Do you know the device the other errors are for?

The patches to fix touch have been submitted. The developers are hashing out some issues. Hopefully they will be committed shortly.

Try changing gesture to "off" in the script in the touch section. Or turn both it and touch "off".

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Hi there,

Quote Originally Posted by Favux View Post
    Cool, progress. Congratulations.

Are you using a 32-bit or 64-bit install? How are you setting up the monitors? With xrandr or with one of the proprietary configuration gui's, i.e. ATI or Nvidia?

Yes, it doesn't seem to work with Relative. Another user said it didn't confine his touch, which I assumed was set to Relative.

It looks like "MapToOutput" and the 'Coordinate Transformation Matrix' method are two separate methods, as I originally thought. Right now "MapToOutput" is broken for 64-bit installs, which apparently was the problem. The patch to fix it has already been submitted and hopefully will be committed to the repository shortly. If it gets some testers.

Also others, who all seem to be using the proprietary drivers, report not being able to see, for example, LVDS1 vs VGA1 in their xrandr output. So they're not able to use "MapToOutput". So while "MapToOutput" does the calculations for you it may not be as useful as I thought. That still needs to be cleared up.
    I'm using a good old straight 32 bits install. Did try 64 bits a year ago and it was just too much hassle for numerous things I'm using for work so... got back on 32 bits with PAE to use my 4 GB of RAM.

I have a Thinkpad T61 with Intel IGP so... no Nvidia or ATI stuff in there. xrandr report to me a VGA1 which comprised the external display + internal display resolution (so, both monitor together) and a LVDS1 which is only the internal display. It also report a disconnected DVI1 (I have no such port so I guess it is supported by the graphic chipset but not present outside of the case).

I'm not sure I follow your comment about MapToOutput vs "Coordinate Transformation Matrix". The second one is used to configure xinput and then, we assign this to MapToOuput (at least, that's my understanding from the instruction).

Wrong... I just revisited the instruction and they seem to have been changed a bit in a way that tell pretty much what you are saying (interesting, it was modified by Favux about 3 hours ago ). Now I understand what you are saying in that it is actually two method for mapping the tablet correctly to the monitor. And for me, with MapToOutput set to LVDS1, it is working fine when using the tablet only with the internal display. The VGA1 (as both monitor have different resolution) would imply a "Coordinate Transformation Matrix" which I don't really worry about right now.

I just want a relative mode that is slower (not moving a inch on display for each 1/4 inch on the tablet). Any other idea/suggestion?

Thank you.

ehfortin

Beans

Question Re: HOW TO Set Up the Bamboo Pen & Touch in Lucid

I tried to follow the first post here (not having a clue what I was doing) to get my Wacom P&T working with Ubuntu netbook version on my Dell inspirion mini netbook, sadly without success.
    Can anyone give an Linux idiot a simple rundown of what I would have to do in order to be able to use my tablet to paint using Gimp or other paint program? (not interested in getting gesture input just basic tablet functionality!)

Thanks
    Last edited by edtuckerartist; January 13th, 2011 at 09:51 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Hi edtuckerartist,

Welcome to Ubuntu forums!

First we have to determine which model you have. It's printed on the bottom of the tablet. And to get your product ID enter in a terminal:
    Code:
    lusb
    and post the line that has your tablet/Wacom in it.

Hi ehfortin,

xrandr report to me a VGA1 which comprised the external display + internal display resolution (so, both monitor together) and a LVDS1 which is only the internal display.
    Now that's interesting because Peter is telling me to get your tablet mapped to VGA1 you should just have to use it in "MapToOutput". At least he says that's how it works for him. But if xrandr is telling you VG1 is a composite or virtual screen I'm not sure it would work. It would seem like you'd need the xinput command too (or instead?). Maybe he's set up the external monitor differently with xrandr somehow?

To slow down your touch it would seem like it would need code in the driver. Maybe you could map your touch to a "monitor" smaller than your real one and that would make it seem to slow down? Since it's relative would it still cross over the "boundary"? Another thought would be to see if you can use xinput to change the acceleration parameter or something. So try:
    Code:
    xinput list-props "Device name touch"
    and let's look at the output.

Beans

Hi edtuckerartist,

Welcome to Ubuntu forums!

First we have to determine which model you have. It's printed on the bottom of the tablet. And to get your product ID enter in a terminal:
    Code:
    lusb
    and post the line that has your tablet/Wacom in it.

Thank's The command
    Code:
    lusb
    could not be found however this worked:
    Code:
    lsusb
    Results were
    model no: CTH-460
    product ID? possibly 056a:00d1 (bus 003 device 002)

Beans
    Distro

Hi edtuckerartist,

Good. That one doesn't require any extra gymnastics.

To get it working you need a working wacom.ko. That is the usb Wacom kernel driver.

I know you are using a netbook version of Ubuntu but I don't know which one or what release of Ubuntu, Lucid, Maverick, etc., it is based on.

So to get a working stylus you need to do part I. Compile linuxwacom 0.8.8-10 for its wacom.ko. Just read through the instructions a few times and then follow them. It's as simple as opening a terminal and copying and pasting the commands and hitting enter after each one and then rebooting.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Hi Favux,

Now that's interesting because Peter is telling me to get your tablet mapped to VGA1 you should just have to use it in "MapToOutput". At least he says that's how it works for him. But if xrandr is telling you VG1 is a composite or virtual screen I'm not sure it would work. It would seem like you'd need the xinput command too (or instead?). Maybe he's set up the external monitor differently with xrandr somehow?
    Can't tell. Here is the result of xrandr without any modification after a boot:

Code:
    Screen 0: minimum 320 x 200, current 3040 x 1200, maximum 8192 x 8192
    VGA1 connected 1600x1200+1440+0 (normal left inverted right x axis y axis) 367mm x 275mm
       1600x1200      60.0*+
       1280x1024      75.0     60.0  
       1152x864       75.0  
       1024x768       75.1     60.0  
       800x600        75.0     60.3  
       640x480        75.0     60.0  
       720x400        70.1  
    LVDS1 connected 1440x900+0+0 (normal left inverted right x axis y axis) 303mm x 190mm
       1440x900       60.0*+   59.9  
       1360x768       59.8     60.0  
       1152x864       60.0  
       1024x768       60.0  
       800x600        60.3     56.2  
       640x480        59.9  
    DVI1 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
    To slow down your touch it would seem like it would need code in the driver. Maybe you could map your touch to a "monitor" smaller than your real one and that would make it seem to slow down? Since it's relative would it still cross over the "boundary"? Another thought would be to see if you can use xinput to change the acceleration parameter or something. So try:
    Code:
    xinput list-props "Device name touch"
    and let's look at the output.
    Here it is.
    Code:
    Device 'Wacom Bamboo 4x5 Pen stylus':
        Device Enabled (134):    1
        Coordinate Transformation Matrix (136):    1.000000, 0.000000, 0.000000, 0.000000, 1.000000, 0.000000, 0.000000, 0.000000, 1.000000
        Device Accel Profile (254):    0
        Device Accel Constant Deceleration (255):    1.000000
        Device Accel Adaptive Deceleration (256):    1.000000
        Device Accel Velocity Scaling (257):    10.000000
        Wacom Tablet Area (723):    0, 0, 14720, 9200
        Wacom Rotation (724):    0
        Wacom Pressurecurve (725):    0, 0, 100, 100
        Wacom Serial IDs (726):    212, 0, 2, 0
        Wacom Capacity (727):    -1
        Wacom Pressure Threshold (728):    27
        Wacom Sample and Suppress (729):    2, 4
        Wacom Enable Touch (730):    0
        Wacom Hover Click (731):    0
        Wacom Enable Touch Gesture (732):    0
        Wacom Touch Gesture Parameters (733):    50, 20, 250
        Wacom Tool Type (734):    "STYLUS" (563)
        Wacom Button Actions (735):    "None" (0), "None" (0), "None" (0), "None" (0), "None" (0), "None" (0), "None" (0), "None" (0), "None" (0), "None" (0), "None" (0), "None" (0), "None" (0), "None" (0), "None" (0), "None" (0)
        Wacom Debug Levels (736):    0, 0
    I would think it is one of the Accel variable but which one, I can't tell. Maybe the Velocity Scaling? It is at 10 now. I tried changing it but... I have to reboot soon as nothing works now that I played with MapToOutput and/or xinput when in relative mode. In Absolute mode, I didn't see any change and it just make sense as... the tablet has to represent the screen so you can't hope for something else then 1:1 in my opinion.

Let me know what you think. I'm not now that we are friday PM

ehfortin

Beans
    Distro

Hi jamo88,
    Quote Originally Posted by jamo88 View Post
    I tryed doing the synaptic trick but that didn't affect anything.
    Not surprised. Since touch isn't working I messed with the Synaptics driver a little and can't get touch to work on it or evdev for that matter. The Xorg.0.log say the driver has the Bamboo's touch but nothing happens. Well, I can sort of occasionally get it to gitter on Synaptics, indicating it really is on it. I don't yet understand why touch doesn't work. If N-trigs can put their stylus on Wacom and their touch on evdev we should be able to put touch on the Synaptics driver. I changed part VIII. on the HOW TO with the new information.

Hi ehfortin,

Great, now I see what you are saying. But since xrandr recognizes the VGA1 that its compositing in the "current 3040 x 1200" it seems like you should be able to use "MapToOutput" on VGA1. You say it works on LVDS1 after all.

It's tempting to wonder if we change the "Device Accel Profile" to say 1 do we change the other accel parameters? Looks like we need to find a recent "manual" on xinput to figure this out.

In Absolute mode, I didn't see any change and it just make sense as... the tablet has to represent the screen so you can't hope for something else then 1:1 in my opinion.
    I meant use the xsetwacom TopX & Y and BottomX & Y to change the area on the screen the tablet maps to, even with the device set to whichever screen "MapToOutput" or the transform puts it on. I think that's how you are suppose to mimic the removed "KeepShape" command. So the thought was to subvert it to modifying acceleration by convincing the device to output to a screen smaller than the actual one. Since it is a relative device it wouldn't stay in the border. But maybe a relative device won't map like that?

I just read in a patch by Chris something about fixing an over acceleration with touch on the Bamboo. So maybe we won't have to worry about this anymore. With a lot of luck. I can't remember which patch it was in the current flurry of patches though.

Page 55 of 115 FirstFirst ... 545535455565765105 ... LastLast