Page 43 of 115 FirstFirst ... 3341424344455393 ... LastLast

Thread: HOW TO Set Up the Bamboo Pen & Touch in Lucid

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: HOW TO Set Up the Bamboo Pen & Touch in Lucid

Yes, I just saw and read your posts. Hopefully Chris or someone will respond. Chris also has a Bamboo PT so he's kind of taken the lead on them with MT and what not.

I have the Bamboo Pen & Touch (CTH460).

I think other folks are seeing this too. The problem might be the kernel side changes need to come down from upstream before we can expect real improvement in gestures.

Beans

You mean that this might involve changes to the kernel module, so that any improvement could be expected for kernel 2.6.37 or later?
    (Never thought of that, actually...)

[EDIT]
    Wow! This has to be my shortest posting for weeks
    [/EDIT]
    Last edited by dr4ziw; November 30th, 2010 at 12:43 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Ha! I appreciate your work.
    You mean that this might involve changes to the kernel module, so that any improvement could be expected for kernel 2.6.37 or later?
    Yep. I don't know if that applies to the parameter interconnectedness you spotted though. I'll probably test for that tomorrow.

It shouldn't apply to the left click issue though. Although I might be wrong about that. Let's see what Chris says.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Favux View Post
    Ha! I appreciate your work.
    See, I'm not always a chatterbox. Only most of the time

Yep. I don't know if that applies to the parameter interconnectedness you spotted though. I'll probably test for that tomorrow.

It shouldn't apply to the left click issue though. Although I might be wrong about that. Let's see what Chris says.
    I'm curious about it.

If the worst comes to the worst, hopefully it will be possible to backport those changes to 2.6.32 as well.
    For the moment I'll stick with the current Ubuntu LTS, but I may also make a change to CentOS 6 when it's out. So, I'm not sure if I'll reach 2.6.37 in the forseeable future.

Beans
    Distro

Hi dr4ziw,

Looks like Peter fixed the parameter interconnectedness problem, see: https://mail.google.com/mail/?ui=2&s...c9b49572379340

When the patch gets committed you'll be able to clone the git repository and be good to go.

Beans

That's good news.
    Thanks!

Edit:
    I also received an email from Peter with the patch included.
    So I tried to apply it, right away.
    Patching the xsetwacom.c worked well.
    But after rebuilding and reinstalling xf86-input-wacom I'm at the same point where I was before the patch.
    Parameters are still coupled.
    Replied to Peter, and now I'm waiting for an answer from him.

Is there a way to completely remove a previously installed version? At the moment, I always "make install" over what's already there. This may be wrong.
    Last edited by dr4ziw; November 30th, 2010 at 01:33 PM.

Beans

Problem solved. There was a version conflict between an xsetwacom in /usr/bin and another one inside /usr/local/bin ...
    The fix seems good, except for a few lines of error messages at the end of "xsetwacom get $ID all", which weren't there before.

Beans
    Distro

Great!

Is there a way to completely remove a previously installed version? At the moment, I always "make install" over what's already there. This may be wrong.
    It arguably is but there is nothing we can do about it short of manually deleting every file. Up to Karmic we had a purge routine to prevent version conflict. Starting with Karmic they put in a new dependency for xserver-xorg-input-wacom, xserver-xorg-input-all (and vice versa). So you can't purge or remove a previous version. As near as I can tell this is a packaging issue. So version conflict is always a possibility now. I handle it by ignoring it unless it seems very possible and then I instruct the user to reinstall the Wacom drivers, maybe several times.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Favux View Post
    [...] version conflict is always a possibility now. I handle it by ignoring it [...]
    LOL

I guess at some stage I might have tried to install the wacom drivers and forgot to add --prefix=/usr. Well, removing xsetwacom from /usr/local/bin was easy enough...
    The two patches from Peter solved both the parameter interconnectednes and the errors at the end of "xsetwacom $ID get all". Great!

@marek_online, if you're still following, any chance this accidentally also happened to you? An older version of xsetwacom sitting inside /usr/local/bin, which might supersede the current version? It's the only idea I have, why you can't see the gesture parameters.

Besides, I think I found out why xsetwacom sometimes reset the parameters back to their default values. Remember that I said the computer wasn't hibernating or anything, and that I only switched off the monitor for a while?

Uhm... all my input devices -- keyboard, mouse and of course the tablet -- are connected via the monitor's USB ports... D'OH!

Now, I think the question was raised before: how can I make the .xsetwacom.sh script being executed every time the tablet gets hotplugged?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by dr4ziw View Post
    That's good news.
    Thanks!

Edit:
    I also received an email from Peter with the patch included.
    So I tried to apply it, right away.
    Patching the xsetwacom.c worked well.....
    Any chance to have that patch? I have the same problem and would like to test it without having to wait it enters the git repository, if possible.

Thanks
    G.

Page 43 of 115 FirstFirst ... 3341424344455393 ... LastLast