Page 12 of 115 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262112 ... LastLast

Thread: HOW TO Set Up the Bamboo Pen & Touch in Lucid

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: HOW TO Set Up the Bamboo Pen & Touch in Lucid

WORKS !!!.
    Cartwheels being executed as I type

Touch response is now fantastic and all other touch functions have improved -scrolling,zoom, etc.

Now as good as, if not better, than when used with "that other O/S."

Many thanks for keeping at it. Most appreciated.

Cheers, Bob.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Hi Bob,

Outstanding!!!

You're our first tester and it's a postitive confirmation! I'll let Chris know.

Beans

Hi Favux,
    first of all I want to thank you a loooot for this thread and the hard work you and others put in wacom project, this is fantastic!
    I have a Bamboo pen & touch and, following your instructions, it now works like a charm under lucid

Then I have a request:
    is it possible to set the lower pen button to enable scrolling?
    I just see it as a viable option in Windows OS as you can see in the official user guide here:
    http://wacom.eu/_bib_user/dealer/man_bampt_en.pdf

at page 31 they set the lower button to act as a "scrolling switch" on/off. I think it's very useful to be able to navigate documents and internet page when surfing the web.

Is it possible under K/Ubuntu too?
    What do you suggest? Thanx!

Beans
    Distro

Hi Kernelius,

I'm glad you got it working.

I don't think the code allows scrolling with a stylus button. Besides I think there was a patch that changed how scrolling works in the past couple weeks. I guess cause the new method applied to more programs. So we'd have to figure that out to try it. How interested in pursuing it are you?

By the way those of you who have tablets with touch strips and scroll wheels or D buttons or whatever they are called. Peter has just finished coding up support for them. It turned out to be pretty complicated. So the patches should be landing in xf86-input-wacom shortly as Ping ack'ed them.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Favux View Post
    Hi Kernelius,

I'm glad you got it working.

I don't think the code allows scrolling with a stylus button. Besides I think there was a patch that changed how scrolling works in the past couple weeks. I guess cause the new method applied to more programs. So we'd have to figure that out to try it.
    What I was wondering is if it's possible to mimic something like evince pan mode (where drag with middle mouse button actually pans documents) via wacom driver, in order to bind lower button (or every other button, of course) to some sort of scroll/pan enabling function... I'd really like it

How interested in pursuing it are you?
    well I'd say alot!

You know, not being able to perform scrolling with the pen is the major reason I avoid graphic tablet for daily use and consign it to graphic applications only.
    I mean it would be extremely useful being able to do scrolling without having to put down pen and make it with mouse wheel: navigate web pages, scrolling documents in gedit/openoffice, scrolling file in nautilus, and so on.. very useful

Beans
    Distro

Hi Kernelius,

What happens if for the stylus buttons you assign them like so?:
    Code:
    xsetwacom set "Device name for stylus" Button2 "key Prior"  # pageup
    xsetwacom set "Device name for stylus" Button3 "key Next"  # pagedown

Beans
    Distro
    Edgy Eft Testing

My CTH-460 is functioning nearly perfect after changing the setting conform post #110.
    Back to mouse for the moment though, response to gestures is not always as smooth as i would like.
    Scrolling starts slow after i put my two fingers on the Bamboo Touch and Pen.
    However: it is functioning AND i see great progress !

Beans
    Distro

Hi Autasis,

I'd like to welcome you to Ubuntu forums but I see you're a long term member.

Glad touch and gestures are working better for you. They're getting there.

Gestures tips for the Bamboo in Linux.

Use two fingers.

Do not line the fingers up exactly, either vertically or horizontally. Instead have the second finger slightly offset from the first, i.e. on a diagonal.

Beans

Hi Kernelius,

What happens if for the stylus buttons you assign them like so?:
    Code:
    xsetwacom set "Device name for stylus" Button2 "key Prior"  # pageup
    xsetwacom set "Device name for stylus" Button3 "key Next"  # pagedown
    Thank you Favux,
    I tried what you suggested and I can say it's not a viable option for me for two reasons:

1_ this way the scrolling isn't "smooth", it's uneven, and it performs big paces every clic, which is not so useful for web pages or text editors navigation,

2_ the suggested setup involves two buttons, therefore the pen loses right clic function which is useful to have instead.

Other than that, if you consider the keyboard has got two dedicated keys to perform pgUP pgDown it seems to be a waste of pen button to set them up only to duplicate existing keyboard functions.

Thank you again for your time and dedication
    Last edited by Kernelius; August 9th, 2010 at 02:17 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Hi Kernelius,

But it worked! Sort of. I'll keep thinking about it. In the meantime you could try a couple of "tablet pc" programs.

For Mozilla applications like FireFox I think you can get what you want if you install the Grab and Drag extension (plug in). Activate the icon in the upper right corner and a hand icon appears. You can grab it and scroll with both your stylus and finger. Very handy.

A more general app. would be Tom Jaeger's EasyStroke. With some work you can train it to accept multiple gesture which might even be better for you.

Two other useful tablet pc programs are CellWriter and Xournal.

Page 12 of 115 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262112 ... LastLast