Page 108 of 115 FirstFirst ... 85898106107108109110 ... LastLast
Results 1,071 to 1,080 of 1141

Thread: HOW TO Set Up the Bamboo Pen & Touch in Lucid

Beans

Re: HOW TO Set Up the Bamboo Pen & Touch in Lucid

Hello, I had been looking for a way for my Ubuntu 11.10 to recognize my Wacom Create tablet and happen to find a thread on here that linked backed to this one. After doing step one (and at such a ghastly hour) I shut down my computer and decided upon doing step two the next day (which would have been today). However, when I got back on I found subtle changes to my theme layout and upon further use I received an error message that stated of an internal conflict that Ubuntu 12.(darn be it me who has forgotten the last two numbers) was experiencing. I was surprised to see that my Ubuntu was somehow upgraded during the process of step one (or at least I presume) and I wondered whether this was normal (step one did take an awful long time to complete).

But, the error message concerns me. It does not allow for me to go into system settings and check my version of Ubuntu to see if this is true; nor does it let me access system monitor or update manager (I'm going to go out in a limb here and say it basically won't let me access any system tools).

The error popped up the first few times I tried accessing my system monitor but now it just shows Ubuntu trying to open the program only for it to disappear and that be it the end. So, sadly I can't write word for word what the error said (though if it does pop up again I'll be sure to).

I've decided to hold up on doing step two, mostly due to the fact that I think this was probably caused by my talent of messing up simple tasks and directions due to my over-thinking.

The tablet is now being read by my Ubuntu, but still the error message--it's just something you don't really want to have.

Any help? (sorry if this is too long)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Hi Tvet,

Welcome to Ubuntu forums!

To find your version run in a terminal:
    Code:
    cat /etc/issue
    and
    Code:
    Xorg -version
    is also useful.

Nothing you should have done in Part I. would have caused a release upgrade. You'd have had to issue a dist-upgrade command. Did you accidentally click on upgrade in Update Manager?

By the way input-wacom is up to 0.15.0.

Beans

It seems it has upgraded to Ubuntu 12.04.1 though I think not fully considering that my log in screen still shows it running on 11.10 oddly enough.

There was a part in step one--
    which if I remember correctly came after the
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install build-essential libx11-dev libxi-dev x11proto-input-dev xserver-xorg-dev libxrandr-dev libncurses5-dev autoconf libtool
    --that asked for a [Y/N] (again, my limited memory forbids me to recall what it asked). I entered Y, but found it a bit strange that that wasn't mentioned in the code steps; at the same time I figured it could had just been one of those 'it's only obvious' things and didn't really think much of it. Could this have possibly been the culprit?

It wasn't until I entered the
    Code:
    sudo apt-get upgrade
    that caused the terminal to run codes for an awful long while before it allowed me to enter the next line. After that it all didn't take half as much time to finish step one.

Beans
    Distro

It seems it has upgraded to Ubuntu 12.04.1 though I think not fully considering that my log in screen still shows it running on 11.10 oddly enough.
    Could you confirm that with the output of the two commands in my post above?
    --that asked for a [Y/N] (again, my limited memory forbids me to recall what it asked). I entered Y, but found it a bit strange that that wasn't mentioned in the code steps; at the same time I figured it could had just been one of those 'it's only obvious' things and didn't really think much of it. Could this have possibly been the culprit?
    Not commented on because it is normal for APT to ask for confirmation to install a new package(s). In other words I deliberately don't use the non-interactive switch so you know what is installed and why.

You would have had to run:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get upgrade
    sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
    The first one updates the APT cache. In the HOW TO you then run the dependency line. The second one then double checks to make sure the dependencies are the most recent. Only the last command, which isn't in the HOW TO, would upgrade your distribution's release.

Did you maybe abort an upgrade to Precise? If so maybe that was still somehow in APT's cache and got triggered?

Beans

For
    Code:
    cat /etc/issue
    I got
    Code:
    Ubuntu 12.04.1 LTS \n \l
    and for
    Code:
    Xorg -version
    I received
    Code:
    X.Org X Server 1.10.4
    Release Date: 2011-08-19
    X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0
    Build Operating System: Linux 2.6.24-29-server i686 Ubuntu
    Current Operating System: Linux evette-Vostro-1520 3.0.0-26-generic #43-Ubuntu SMP Tue Sep 25 17:20:50 UTC 2012 i686
    Kernel command line: BOOT_IMAGE=/boot/vmlinuz-3.0.0-26-generic root=UUID=99e5d3f4-840b-4fae-8387-2c6341b635d5 ro quiet splash vt.handoff=7
    Build Date: 19 October 2011  05:09:41AM
    xorg-server 2:1.10.4-1ubuntu4.2 (For technical support please see http://www.ubuntu.com/support) 
    Current version of pixman: 0.24.4
    	Before reporting problems, check http://wiki.x.org
    	to make sure that you have the latest version.
    Not commented on because it is normal for APT to ask for confirmation to install a new package(s). In other words I deliberately don't use the non-interactive switch so you know what is installed and why.
    Ah, I see. Well it's good to know that that was normal and not the cause.

I'm not sure if I managed to do what you said. All I can recall is copying and pasting the lines given so I don't think I put in
    Code:
    sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
    anywhere (unless by sheer dumb bad-luck that I tend to have).

Sorry I can't answer that or give any more information a bit better. I have to start writing things that look iffy to me from now on.

Beans
    Distro

OK, well you are correct and something strange has happened.
    Code:
    Ubuntu 12.04.1 LTS \n \l
    Claims you are on Precise and no longer Oneiric. However:
    Code:
    X.Org X Server 1.10.4
    Release Date: 2011-08-19
    Build Operating System: Linux 2.6.24-29-server i686 Ubuntu
    Current Operating System: Linux evette-Vostro-1520 3.0.0-26-generic #43-Ubuntu SMP Tue Sep 25 17:20:50 UTC 2012 i686
    Kernel command line: BOOT_IMAGE=/boot/vmlinuz-3.0.0-26-generic root=UUID=99e5d3f4-840b-4fae-8387-2c6341b635d5 ro quiet splash vt.handoff=7
    Build Date: 19 October 2011  05:09:41AM
    xorg-server 2:1.10.4-1ubuntu4.2 (For technical support please see http://www.ubuntu.com/support) 
    says you are in fact still running Oneiric. Precise would say:
    Code:
    X.Org X Server 1.11.3
    Release Date: 2011-12-16
    Build Operating System: Linux 2.6.42-23-generic x86_64 Ubuntu
    Current Operating System: Linux dave-p6520y 3.2.0-33-generic #52-Ubuntu SMP Thu Oct 18 16:29:15 UTC 2012 x86_64
    Kernel command line: BOOT_IMAGE=/boot/vmlinuz-3.2.0-33-generic root=UUID=707a7d2a-9203-4f64-bd82-c297a4e14222 ro quiet splash vt.handoff=7
    Build Date: 29 August 2012  12:12:33AM
    xorg-server 2:1.11.4-0ubuntu10.8 (For technical support please see http://www.ubuntu.com/support) 
    Notice the newer X Server and kernel.
    I have to start writing things that look iffy to me from now on.
    I tend to copy and paste the output after configure, make, and make install into a text file so I can look at it if there is a problem. If not I just delete it later.

I have no idea what is going on with your system or what happened.

In Dash enter 'details' and click on it. Or go to Details in System Settings. In Overview what release does it say?

Beans

Ah, it seems my Ubuntu is making things harder for you considering that I should mention that I do not have Unity in use so I can't access Dash. My desktop is laid out in GNOME Classic. I don't suppose their's a way to access my Dash in some other way?

I would use my system settings, but as I said before the app just shows momentarily at the bottom trying to open but then disappearing so that's a no go as well.

I don't suppose their's a way to access this through terminal is there?

Beans
    Distro

We already did the cli version. You should be able to use the Ubuntu About or go through System Settings or Control Panel or whatever.

What I'm trying to find out is if your system somehow did a partial upgrade. Say only the Desktop since you still have the Oneiric X Server and kernel. Which doesn't make sense either way.

The kernel I could see because maybe a Grub update didn't happen so Grub is still pointing to the wrong kernel. To fix that you'd just run:
    Code:
    sudo update-grub
    But that doesn't explain the X Server.

You should probably look in /var/log/apt at history.log or maybe the first compressed one although I doubt you've been doing many updates. Maybe that will tell you what happened.

I assume you've been rebooting. Are you dual booting? If so then the Grub menu should show what kernel you are booting into, which currently is 3.0. Is there a 3.2 kernel (Precise) available? If not dual booting using the left shift key during boot is suppose to bring up the menu.

Also at the log in screen have you tried clicking on the cog and selecting what Desktop you want to start and see if that does anything?

Beans

I've done a dual rebooting and had the 3.0 kernerl to choose from but no 3.2. I've also tried clicking the clog next to the log in but I'm only offered GNOME, GNOME classic, GNOME classic (no effects), Ubuntu, Ubuntu 2D, and User Defined Session.

I've been thinking though.
    Is there a way to just make my Ubuntu completely an Oneiric or Precise, even at the expense of my tablet not being read? I would in all honesty rather have a fully functioning Ubuntu (even if it does defeat the purpose of being here).

Beans
    Distro

Burn a live CD of Oneiric or live DVD of Precise and reinstall. With luck that won't overwrite any files you have. Otherwise you'll need to back them up, should anyway.

You can get your tablet working on either one. With Precise if you want to update xf86-input-wacom you need to use the frankenserver patch: http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...postcount=1034

Page 108 of 115 FirstFirst ... 85898106107108109110 ... LastLast